Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th January 2015, 03:09 PM
Cult Master

Next up, comes a title we know a lot of you have been hoping for… Blood and Black Lace!!

Also available as steel book, our second *Arrow Store exclusive*

Release Date UK: 13th April 2015
Release Date North America: 14th April 2015
Format: Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD
Starring: Cameron Mitchell, Eva Bartok, Thomas Reiner
Directed by: Mario Bava

Synopsis: SIX MODELS. SIX VICTIMS FOR A CRAZED MASKED KILLER.

The Cristiana Haute Couture fashion house is a home to models… and backstabbing… and blackmail… and drug deals… and MURDER.

Having established a template for the giallo with The Girl Who Knew Too Much, Mario Bava set about cementing its rules with Blood and Black Lace. In doing so he created one of the most influential films ever made – an Italian classic that would spearhead the giallo genre, provide a prototype for the slasher movie, and have a huge effect on filmmakers as diverse as Dario Argento and Martin Scorsese.

Newly restored from the original camera negative and presented here in its original, uncut Italian form, this dual-format release allows fans to see Blood and Black Lace afresh and offers newcomers the ideal introduction to a major piece of cult filmmaking.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
- New 2K restoration of the film from the original camera negative
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentations
- Optional Italian and English soundtracks presented in original uncompressed mono PCM audio
- Newly translated subtitles for the Italian audio
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing for the English audio
- Brand new audio commentary by Mario Bava’s biographer Tim Lucas
- Psycho Analysis – a new documentary on Blood and Black Lace and the origins of the giallo genre featuring interviews with directors Dario Argento (Suspiria) and Lamberto Bava (Demons), screenwriter Ernesto Gastaldi (All the Colors of the Dark) critics Roberto Curti and Steve Della Casa, crime novelist Carlo Lucarelli and others
- An appreciation by Hélène Cattet & Bruno Forzani, the creative duo behind Amer and The Strange Color of Your Body’s Tears
- Yellow – the much-acclaimed neo-giallo by Ryan Hansom & Jon Britt
- Gender and Giallo – a visual essay by Michael Mackenzie exploring the giallo’s relationship with the social upheavals of the 1960s and 70s
- Panel discussion on Mario Bava featuring Dario Argento, Lamberto Bava and Steve Della Casa, recorded at the 2014 Courmayeur Film Festival
- devoted to the star of Blood and Black Lace and presented in full
- The alternative US opening titles, sourced from Joe Dante’s private print and scanned in 2K especially for this release
- Original theatrical trailer, with optional English and Italian audio
- Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys
- Booklet featuring new writing on the film by Howard Hughes, author of Cinema Italiano and Mario Bava: Destination Terror, and an interview with Joe Dante, David Del Valle on Cameron Mitchell and more, all illustrated with archive stills and posters

DETAILS:
Region: A+B / 1+2
Rating: 18
Duration: 89
Language: Italian/ English
Subtitles: English/ English SDH
Aspect Ratio: 1.66:1
Audio: Mono
Discs: 3
Colour

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 14th January 2015, 03:12 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Just the Blood & Black Lace steelbook of interest for me this time round
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 14th January 2015, 03:12 PM
Cult Master

And last but not least, Borowczyk’s wild and imaginative horror The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Miss Osbourne!

Release Date UK: 20th April 2015
Release Date North America: 21st April 2015
Format: Dual Format Blu-ray + DVD
Starring: Udo Kier, Marina Pierro, Patrick Magee
Directed by: Walerian Borowczyk

Synopsis: “Potent and poetic, mischievous and macabre, Borowczyk’s film shows how many imaginative worlds the horror movie can open up when the right artist holds the keys” (Nigel Andrews, Financial Times)

It’s the engagement party for brilliant young Dr Henry Jekyll (Udo Kier) and his fiancée, the beautiful Fanny Osbourne (Marina Pierro), attended by various pillars of Victorian society, including the astonishing Patrick Magee in one of his final roles. But when people are found raped and murdered outside and ultimately inside the house, it becomes clear that a madman has broken in to disrupt the festivities – but who is he? And why does Dr Jekyll keep sneaking off to his laboratory?

We know the answer, of course, but Walerian Borowczyk’s visually stunning adaptation of Robert Louis Stevenson’s much-filmed tale is crammed with wildly imaginative and outrageously perverse touches characteristic of the man who scandalised audiences with Immoral Tales and The Beast, not least the explicitly sexualised nature of Mr Hyde’s primal urges.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS:
- Brand new 2K restoration, scanned from the original camera negative and supervised by cinematographer Noël Véry
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of the film, released on both formats for the first time anywhere in the world
- English and French soundtracks in LPCM 1.0
- Optional English and English SDH subtitles
- Introduction by critic and long-term Borowczyk fan Michael Brooke
- Audio commentary featuring archival interviews with Walerian Borowczyk, Udo Kier, Marina Pierro and producer Robert Kuperberg, and new interviews with cinematographer Noël Véry, editor Khadicha Bariha, assistant Michael Levy and filmmaker Noël Simsolo, moderated by Daniel Bird
- Interview with Marina Pierro
- Himorogi (2012), a short film by Marina and Alessio Pierro, made in homage to Borowczyk
- Interview with artist and filmmaker Alessio Pierro
- Video essay by Adrian Martin and Cristina Alvarez Lopez
- Eyes That Listen, a featurette on Borowczyk’s collaborations with electro-acoustic composer Bernard Parmegiani
- Jouet Jouyeux (1979), a short film by Borowczyk based on Charles-Émile Reynaud’s praxinoscope
- Introduction to Jouet Joyeux by production assistant Sarah Mallinson
- Returning to Méliès: Borowczyk and Early Cinema, a featurette by Daniel Bird
- Reversible sleeve with artwork based on Borowczyk’s own poster design
- Booklet with new writing on the film by Daniel Bird and archive materials, illustrated with rare stills
- More to be announced!

DETAILS
Region: A+B / 1+2
Rating: 18
Duration: 91
Language: English/French
Subtitles: English/ English SDH
Aspect Ratio: 1.66:1
Audio: Mono
Discs: 2
Colour

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 14th January 2015, 03:15 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

I'll pick up the dual format Blood and Black Lace at some point.

It's not long since i watched the VCI release again.
Rik and keirarts like this.
Old 14th January 2015, 03:19 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Oh yes, COFFY!!!!!!!!!

I participated that competition they had recently, about the best releases of last year. Their last question was, what I'd like to see them release next year and I had put in Coffy.

Very happy.
Old 14th January 2015, 03:21 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Default The General Arrow Discussion Thread

I'm ashamed to say I've never seen Blood & Black Lace, so I'm looking forward to getting this in April
keirarts likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 14th January 2015, 03:21 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I'm ashamed to say I've never seen it, so I'm looking forward to getting this in April
Which B&BL or Coffy?
Old 14th January 2015, 03:22 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Which B&BL or Coffy?

I was replying to your post, but wasn't quick enough, so I've edited it
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 14th January 2015, 03:26 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I mentioned Coffy on Arrow's Facebook the other day, it's as if I knew it was being released....
Rik and Jinx_Barkman like this.
Old 14th January 2015, 03:27 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Damn, no Nightmare City again. Blood and Black Lace will be mine. Not interested in the rest.

Like this? Share it using the links below!