LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th January 2015, 10:00 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
The restorers are given an item to restore. Their job is to restore what is given to them, not to check that the version given to them is the longest cut available before they do their job. It has absolutely nothing to do with them. If someone sends them a 55 minute cut of a 2 hour film and tells them to restore it, that is what they will do, not question that there is a longer cut out there. Really? Get a grip!

Cronenburg approved his film Shivers to be remastered and put out. His film, the one he made. It is stated that he didn't watch the version as he presumed it was his version of the film going out not some PG rated version. Why would he watch it, he made the bloody thing!

Arrow then receives the film to put out. What? Did no one watch it? This is quality control? Even if you decide that the restorers should take over Arrows job it still comes down to Arrow to check the product they are then selling. No?

No! Poor Arrow... not their fault at all....

Wow! You need to chill. Seriously.
Old 17th January 2015, 10:06 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
The restorers are given an item to restore. Their job is to restore what is given to them, not to check that the version given to them is the longest cut available before they do their job. It has absolutely nothing to do with them. If someone sends them a 55 minute cut of a 2 hour film and tells them to restore it, that is what they will do, not question that there is a longer cut out there. Really? Get a grip!

Cronenburg approved his film Shivers to be remastered and put out. His film, the one he made. It is stated that he didn't watch the version as he presumed it was his version of the film going out not some PG rated version. Why would he watch it, he made the bloody thing!

Arrow then receives the film to put out. What? Did no one watch it? This is quality control? Even if you decide that the restorers should take over Arrows job it still comes down to Arrow to check the product they are then selling. No?

No! Poor Arrow... not their fault at all....
TIFF started the restoration themsleves, with materials from their own vault, which is almost like a musuem of Canadian film. So if anyone should have had the right print, the knowledge of the content of the print, and the knowledge of the films original running time, it was them.

Cronenberg also shouldn't have approved a transfer he hadn't watched the whole way through, as it's not properly approved.

Yes, Arrow could have checked it against an older copy, and probably should have, but they possibly did a runtime check, as their copy, whilst missing some snippets, also has extra snippets not on the DVDs.

Either way, one bum supplied print amidst a fantastic edition from a fantastic year doesn't give them a bad rep.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 17th January 2015, 10:18 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Wow! You need to chill. Seriously.
Taking your wise advice...
Old 17th January 2015, 10:19 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Taking your wise advice...

I too, will take me own advice.
keirarts and Boo Radley like this.
Old 17th January 2015, 10:36 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

No please guys carry on, don't chill. It makes for entertaining reading.

I'm not sure why we have to have endless debates about who is to blame. It really doesn't matter. At the end of the day a mistake happened, the release is not what we would have wished and we now have to make our own decisions about what to do.

Like many here I used to preorder Arrow titles when they were announced, now the number of titles has become too many for that to be affordable and so I have become more selective. I also now tend to wait until after the discs are in the wild before ordering because of the number of delays and screw-ups that occurred in the past. They seem to be much improved in recent months but they are going to have to work even harder to regain my trust.

It's difficult to write-off Arrow, because when they get it right they are among the best releases - you only have to look at the number of releases from last year that eventually ended up in many critics and commentators top 10's of the year.

So let's wait and see how they do with Videodrome or whichever of their current slate it is you are waiting for and if they screw it up well then we can unleash the dogs of hell (or at least the dogs of the cult labs which are far more scary).
fuzzymctiger and Boo Radley like this.
Old 17th January 2015, 10:43 AM
Cult Addict

I've had this discussion elsewhere but perhaps SOMEONE please enlighten me as to the constant screw ups arrow have been responsible for in the past two years. I've been buying most of their output in that time and as soon as they ditched the ropey Italian HD masters the quality has shot right up. Still I here people refer to constant screw ups? Or perhaps I'm just an "arese licking sycophant" as everyone's favourite failed journalist and prize twat pooch JD described me as.
That said I hope arrow are triple checking everything from now on!
Old 17th January 2015, 10:46 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

But Keirarts, you ARE an arse licking sycophant! (Joking mate).
Old 17th January 2015, 10:55 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by SShaw View Post
No please guys carry on, don't chill. It makes for entertaining reading.

I'm not sure why we have to have endless debates about who is to blame. It really doesn't matter. At the end of the day a mistake happened, the release is not what we would have wished and we now have to make our own decisions about what to do.

Like many here I used to preorder Arrow titles when they were announced, now the number of titles has become too many for that to be affordable and so I have become more selective. I also now tend to wait until after the discs are in the wild before ordering because of the number of delays and screw-ups that occurred in the past. They seem to be much improved in recent months but they are going to have to work even harder to regain my trust.

It's difficult to write-off Arrow, because when they get it right they are among the best releases - you only have to look at the number of releases from last year that eventually ended up in many critics and commentators top 10's of the year.

So let's wait and see how they do with Videodrome or whichever of their current slate it is you are waiting for and if they screw it up well then we can unleash the dogs of hell (or at least the dogs of the cult labs which are far more scary).
You make very very good points.

I am racking my brain here and thinking of the whole past year.

Shivers, 'nuff said

Rabid Dogs, endless delays, possible complaints about reconstructed footage quality (have not seen any complaints though)

Tinto Brass titles, transfers aren't up to scratch, but not massive complaint worthy

Sisters, big debate over grain structure, but that's down to personal views.

Theatre of Blood, spine the wrong way around

The 'Burbs, endless delays, grain structure debate like Sisters

Price titles, no more steelbooks.

No of reasonable issues there? 1, Shivers.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 17th January 2015, 10:59 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

OMG!! Pooch..... and you guys think I moan....
Old 17th January 2015, 11:01 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

That guy is a first class bellend! He's the reason I gave up posting on the Sex Gore Mutants forum and joined here all those years ago!
fuzzymctiger likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!