Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th January 2015, 07:32 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I have no doubt it will. The German blu only had the theatrical cut, unlike the US dvd, which gave you the option of watching the film with the deleted opening re-inserted. Hopefully Arrow's disc includes this option.
awesome, one to pick up!
Old 17th January 2015, 08:45 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
There was absolutely nothing technically wrong with either The 'burbs or Sisters. The former was a James White special - in other words, Arrow was able to control every stage of the process from scan to restoration - and the latter was sourced from Criterion's master, with all that that implies in terms of their own typically sky-high standards. In other words, I can say with total certainty (for The 'burbs) and high probability (for Sisters) that they look exactly as they were supposed to look.

Basically, if people didn't like how those BDs looked, their beef is with the original cinematographers and/or the manufacturers of the film stocks.

It's the same with White of the Eye, a BD that some numpty gave 3/10 for "picture quality" despite the fact that Arrow's restoration was sourced from a scan of the original camera negative (via an ArriScan, which is the state of the current art, largely because it doesn't introduce any noise or other visible glitches as a by-product of the scanning process). As it happens, I saw the film on its brief theatrical release and vividly remember the ultra-thick grain, high contrast and blown-out highlights of the flashback sequences, which were so marked that I originally assumed they'd been shot on something like Super 8 film! And you'd have thought that the detailed explanation in the booklet as well as an extra that presented the flashback footage before the bleach-bypass treatment had been applied would have made it clear beyond any possible doubt that those sequences were supposed to look like that - but it seems not.

The basic problem is that some people are so obsessed with the notion that "high definition" means "a pristinely crystal-clear image" that they can't get their heads around the fact that some films have always looked rather different from their conception of what's "ideal". But I'm afraid that's just tough.
It's nice to have a insight into the grain discussion from someone with the proper knowledge!

I personally thouhg they looked fine, especially White of the Eye and the Burbs which looked stunning, but I can't believe that in this day and age there are still grain haters out there..

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 17th January 2015, 08:58 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
It's nice to have a insight into the grain discussion from someone with the proper knowledge!

I personally thouhg they looked fine, especially White of the Eye and the Burbs which looked stunning, but I can't believe that in this day and age there are still grain haters out there..
There's a few on amazon. Personally I love the releases too.
Old 17th January 2015, 09:02 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
There's a few on amazon. Personally I love the releases too.
Some of the 'reviewers' (I use the word advisedly) on Amazon would struggle to tell their arse from their elbow.
Old 17th January 2015, 09:19 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

HOUND OF THE BASKERVILLES postcard inside my THIEF today.
keirarts likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 17th January 2015, 09:29 PM
Cult Addict

So many of the new postcards are still undiscovered?
Old 17th January 2015, 09:32 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
but I can't believe that in this day and age there are still grain haters out there..

See my signature
Old 17th January 2015, 09:36 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
See my signature
And there was me thinking it was a political statement on world poverty.
Old 17th January 2015, 09:39 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:

One of my first blu-rays was Aeon Flux (don't judge!) and I wondered why the hell the walls in some scenes seemed to be alive with movement. A quick tinternet search and all became clear. From then on in, knowing that grain was an indication of a faithful transfer (in most cases), i've been of the belief that film grain is our friend. Some people here even need to realise that. You hear me, Mr R?
keirarts likes this.
Old 17th January 2015, 10:01 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

There are many people who adamantly believe that 1080p is only worth it for films shot in HD (i.e. digitally), I've had to explain it to them numerous times and it just doesn't stick.

Like this? Share it using the links below!