Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The Arrow Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/6211-arrow-thread.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 2nd October 2013 05:27 PM

Thanks.:)

Superb news; 'snow' half going to be a good new year!:happy:

Wes 2nd October 2013 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Brooke (Post 369577)
I believe so. And this will be an original James White transfer - i.e. with him supervising the entire scanning and restoration process from original film materials to 2K master.

Fantastic stuff. I revisited the film a few months ago and it still stands up as one of the lost classics of the 80's. Any film that makes me think of Dario Argento and Jean-Luc Godard is something special...

http://www.videocollector.co.uk/data...-eye-1640l.jpg

tele1962 2nd October 2013 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Brooke (Post 369577)
I believe so. And this will be an original James White transfer - i.e. with him supervising the entire scanning and restoration process from original film materials to 2K master.

For the record, the other Arrow titles that have had that treatment are Zombie Flesh Eaters, Time Bandits and The Fury.

Michael, is David working on this one do you know?

Michael Brooke 2nd October 2013 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 369584)
Fantastic stuff. I revisited the film a few months ago and it still stands up as one of the lost classics of the 80's. Any film that makes me think of Dario Argento and Jean-Luc Godard is something special...

It's also the only one of Donald Cammell's four features over which he had complete creative control and which was initially released in line with his wishes - everything else underwent studio/producer interference of some kind.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tele1962 (Post 369585)
Michael, is David working on this one do you know?

I think so, but I don't know if it's set in stone.

tele1962 2nd October 2013 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Brooke (Post 369588)
I think so, but I don't know if it's set in stone.

I will ask him later.:)

Wes 2nd October 2013 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Brooke (Post 369588)
It's also the only one of Donald Cammell's four features over which he had complete creative control and which was initially released in line with his wishes - everything else underwent studio/producer interference of some kind.

Yep... I read Rebecca & Sam Umland's Cammell biography earlier this year and it was one of the strangest director biographies I've read in quite some time. This is not a criticism of the writing - the book is excellent throughout but what made it unique among other director biographies is the sheer amount of films discussed within the text that didn't get made...

It would be fantastic if this forthcoming release could include Chris Rodley's Ultimate Performance documentary...

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 2nd October 2013 06:52 PM

I haven't seen this since the days of Warner's Maverick Director's video.

To see it in HD is worth waiting on.

Michael Brooke 2nd October 2013 07:26 PM

I last saw it in 35mm, way back in 1988!

keirarts 2nd October 2013 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 369628)
I haven't seen this since the days of Warner's Maverick Director's video.

To see it in HD is worth waiting on.

That's the release I had. On the fith or sixth viewing the tape snapped and nearly ruined my player.

Michael Brooke 2nd October 2013 09:55 PM

DVDActive on Lifeforce - the first in-depth review that I've seen.

keirarts 3rd October 2013 04:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Brooke (Post 369677)
DVDActive on Lifeforce - the first in-depth review that I've seen.

Well reading that i'm glad I held of buying the scream factory release! :nod:

Michael Brooke 3rd October 2013 06:38 AM

Arrow used the same master (from MGM), but encoder David Mackenzie worked really hard to wring the best possible picture and sound out of it. One big advantage was that each cut of the film got its own separate disc, so he had a fair bit more space to play with, but he reckons that he was also using more sophisticated compression algorithms.

keirarts 3rd October 2013 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Brooke (Post 369704)
Arrow used the same master (from MGM), but encoder David Mackenzie worked really hard to wring the best possible picture and sound out of it. One big advantage was that each cut of the film got its own separate disc, so he had a fair bit more space to play with, but he reckons that he was also using more sophisticated compression algorithms.

Lets not forget that the arrow release has more bonus material. A lengthy making of not on scream factorys disc. A real coup for arrow here!

Michael Brooke 3rd October 2013 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keirarts (Post 369723)
Lets not forget that the arrow release has more bonus material. A lengthy making of not on scream factorys disc. A real coup for arrow here!

This is always a swings-and-roundabouts situation - if you're first out of the block worldwide, you'll hoover up customers who just can't wait, but if your release is a few months later you have the opportunity to analyse the rival product and work out ways of improving on it.

I remember waiting for the Zeitgeist version of the Quay Brothers shorts compilation with some trepidation, as I produced the BFI edition. As the primary rightsholders, the BFI had engineered a six-month release-date gap into the licensing deal, but I thought there was every likelihood that Zeitgeist would use those six months to create a whole host of extra features, and was pleasantly surprised when they merely consisted of a couple of additional trailers.

Wes 3rd October 2013 10:22 AM

Michael have you ever worked on something where a great extra couldn't be included for whatever reason ? I mentioned it a few posts back but it was a real shame that Warners didn't include Donald Cammell The Ultimate Performance on their DVD of Performance. Even though Rodley's documentary is a career wide retrospective, the centerpiece of that film relates to Performance. I wonder was it lack of interest on Warners' behalf or they couldn't include it for some reason...

Michael Brooke 3rd October 2013 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 369729)
Michael have you ever worked on something where a great extra couldn't be included for whatever reason ?

Yup - I've just had to make that very decision between Paul Joyce's Giggle and Give In (a superb 56-minute beginners' guide to Robert Altman) and a ten-minute archive interview with Sterling Hayden.

Jaw-droppingly hilarious though the latter undoubtedly is, there's no question that the former is infinitely more relevant to The Long Goodbye (not least because the Hayden interview was filmed in 1970), and I could only afford one, so I went for the Altman doc. Although I've mentally put the Hayden interview aside for future disinterment in case Arrow picks up any more of his films.

Something similar happened with the BFI's Jan Švankmajer shorts compilation - I originally planned to feature a whole montage of his effects sequences from other people's films, but as soon as I started making enquiries into rights, materials and licensing costs it became clear that five minutes of effects from just one film would be much more practical, so that's what I went for. I also watched two documentaries that I ended up dropping - the first was a 25-minute BBC effort for which the Beeb wanted fully twenty times the reasonable market rate that I was prepared to offer, and the second was an hour-long Czech TV documentary about the Laterna Magika multimedia theatre where Švankmajer cut his creative teeth at the turn of the 1960s. This was more of a wrench, as it was fascinating stuff, but I simply didn't have the space and it was a bit of an indulgence: he's only onscreen for about three minutes, but scattered throughout the documentary, so simply extracting his bits wouldn't have worked very well.

And while I'm in Švankmajer-reminiscence mode, I originally planned to include HD versions of his Lewis Carrollesque shorts Jabberwocky and Down to the Cellar on the BFI's Alice Blu-ray, but HD masters didn't exist, we didn't have the budget to create new ones from scratch, and I assumed there'd be a massive overlap between purchasers of Alice and the shorts collection - in other words, they'd have SD copies already. Also, the BFI had five Alice-themed shorts already available (four in HD), so that was a bit of a no-brainer - the final release arguably did a better job of fulfilling the BFI's cultural remit of increasing access to both outstanding foreign and British cinema.

I imagine pretty much every other ambitious DVD/BD release will have similar stories behind it.

Wes 3rd October 2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Brooke (Post 369731)
I imagine pretty much every other ambitious DVD/BD release will have similar stories behind it.

Fascinating stuff. The Švankmajer material would have made wonderful supplements... One that comes to my mind was when Anchor Bay UK announced their DVD of Dead & Buried, there was a big hope that the disc would include the fondly remembered The Orchard End Murder, a 1980 short that accompanied Dead & Buried on its UK theatrical run, but as far as I know rights could not be secured...

Michael Brooke 3rd October 2013 11:00 AM

Don't get me wrong - I'm very very happy indeed with how both Švankmajer releases turned out, and I think it's much better to spend the budget on a completist shorts survey or a superlative HD transfer of Alice than in trying to chase and secure every conceivable extra.

In fact, the Alice-themed shorts turned out to be an inspired idea (not mine, for the record, although I was delighted by the suggestion), as the BFI owned rights and materials outright. As a result, the on-disc extras budget was effectively slashed to zero, which compensated for the main transfer turning out to be more expensive than originally envisaged (partly because it involved flying James White over to Prague, although I don't recall him complaining).

As ever, it's swings and roundabouts - the crucial thing is to make sure that the release is the best that you can possibly make it within the agreed schedule and budget, and not to beat yourself up too much if you can't cram in absolutely everything.

Wes 3rd October 2013 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Brooke (Post 369734)
Don't get me wrong - I'm very very happy indeed with how both Å*vankmajer releases turned out, and I think it's much better to spend the budget on a completist shorts survey or a superlative HD transfer of Alice than in trying to chase and secure every conceivable extra...

Absolutely, considering margins are so tight... I think one my favorite extras discovered recently was on Network's Blu of Things to Come - among the supplements was a vintage 25min piece featuring Brian Aldiss reflecting on the life and career of HG Wells. A really nice find...

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 4th October 2013 03:59 PM

It looks like the Tenebrae steelbook is a Zavvi exclsuive.

The pre-order goes live tomorrow, apparently.

Antropophagus 4th October 2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 369957)
It looks like the Tenebrae steelbook is a Zavvi exclsuive.

The pre-order goes live tomorrow, apparently.

Do they charge instantly pre-orders or only when the order is shipped?

Stephen@Cult Labs 4th October 2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antropophagus (Post 369970)

They charge when the order is shipped. :)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 4th October 2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Antropophagus (Post 369970)

I believe you can also pay by PayPal but they charge a small amount when you do so.

Antropophagus 4th October 2013 06:52 PM

Thanks for replying guys.

Crimson Blade 5th October 2013 12:42 PM

Does anyone know if there will be an Amaray release of Tenebrae?

Rik 5th October 2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 369977)
I believe you can also pay by PayPal but they charge a small amount when you do so.

I've never been charged when paying via Paypal, it's how I usually pay for stuff from them this way

Stephen@Cult Labs 5th October 2013 05:07 PM

You can use the code DEUT10 to get 10% off the Tenebrae steelbook. Works out at £13.49

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th October 2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 370109)
I've never been charged when paying via Paypal, it's how I usually pay for stuff from them this way

That's strange, because the checkout page gives you different payment options and, next to PayPal, says "Please note that using the PayPal checkout will attract a 1% surcharge to the cost of your order."
Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 370110)
You can use the code DEUT10 to get 10% off the Tenebrae steelbook. Forks out at £13.49

Many thanks for that – ordered!

Stephen@Cult Labs 5th October 2013 06:00 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It seems someone got a postcard in Lifeforce for The Beast Within, and look what I found, one for Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins :D Good times!

Attachment 121674

trebor8273 5th October 2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 370113)
It seems someone got a postcard in Lifeforce for The Beast Within, and look what I found, one for Remo Williams: The Adventure Begins :D Good times!

Attachment 121674

I think I need to change my pants:woot:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 5th October 2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 370113)

Attachment 121674

My Steelbook came with a Hell Comes to Frogtown card, but my Pin DVD came with one for Pit Stop.

fuzzymctiger 5th October 2013 11:13 PM

Ok so, so far unannounced titles we have, are

Phantom of The Paradise
Sisters
White Of The Eye
Pit Stop
Remo
Hell Came To Frogtown
The Beast Within
Nightmare City
The Burbs
Caliber 9
Theatre Of Blood
Abominable Dr Phibes

Theres possibly more that I missed. 2014 is looking to be a brilliant year from Arrow

Daemonia 6th October 2013 12:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 370110)
You can use the code DEUT10 to get 10% off the Tenebrae steelbook. Works out at £13.49

Nice one. Used the code and placed my pre-order. :)

fuzzymctiger 6th October 2013 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 370189)
Ok so, so far unannounced titles we have, are

Phantom of The Paradise
Sisters
White Of The Eye
Pit Stop
Remo
Hell Came To Frogtown
The Beast Within
Nightmare City
The Burbs
Caliber 9
Theatre Of Blood
Abominable Dr Phibes

Theres possibly more that I missed. 2014 is looking to be a brilliant year from Arrow

Add The Delta Force on to that list, someone just announced on blu ray that they got that card.

Stephen@Cult Labs 6th October 2013 07:06 AM

New Arrow Announcements...

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 370198)
Add The Delta Force on to that list, someone just announced on blu ray that they got that card.

Yep, and already mentioned by Arrow on Twitter, a brand new transfer of Withnail & I.

fuzzymctiger 6th October 2013 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 370205)
Yep, and already mentioned by Arrow on Twitter, a brand new transfer of Withnail & I.

Agh knew I forgot some. And Hellgate.

Also I think there were 2 erotica titles unreleased. One was Cheeky! I know that much.

Edit: Also forgot Mark Of The Devil

Zann 6th October 2013 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 370209)

Edit: Also forgot Mark Of The Devil

Cool. Hopefully uncut BD....perhaps I can hold off buying the expensive Austrian BD for now.

Wes 6th October 2013 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 370210)
Cool. Hopefully uncut BD....perhaps I can hold off buying the expensive Austrian BD for now.

Was the Blue Underground DVD cut ?

fuzzymctiger 6th October 2013 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zann (Post 370210)

They've confirmed it as uncut

Buboven 6th October 2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger (Post 370198)

Add Fulci's Perversion Story to that aswell