Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The Arrow Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/6211-arrow-thread.html)

platostotal 13th April 2015 04:07 PM

Picked up B&BL amray in HMV and all 3 discs accounted for, 1 BD 2 DVDs:rolleyes:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th April 2015 12:01 PM

So no postcard for Madman or any other upcoming slashers (Hide and Go Shriek is on the cards apparently).

Funny how the popularity of the 88 range of slashers has 'nudged' Arrow into going back to where they started with low budget 'nasties' with small, but devoted, fan bases.

Rik 15th April 2015 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 444600)
Funny how the popularity of the 88 range of slashers has 'nudged' Arrow into going back to where they started with low budget 'nasties' with small, but devoted, fan bases.

Nudged or got them scared :nod:

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th April 2015 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 444606)
Nudged or got them scared :nod:

They are going where the money is. 88 Films' Slaughterhouse and The Bogey Man have apparently been outselling Arrow's more 'highbrow' titles this year, so they are doing what is profitable.

Calum Waddell told Arrow about Madman in 2012 but they weren't interested but, now slashers are selling, suddenly it's a good idea!

Rik 15th April 2015 12:16 PM

I'll certainly be interested in them again if they go down a similar route to 88 Films

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th April 2015 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 444611)
I'll certainly be interested in them again if they go down a similar route to 88 Films

That's what's happening, and they have deeper pockets than 88, so will probably be able to outbid them. As much as I like Brian De Palma, I'd much rather they release remastered versions of films like Madman and Hide and Go Shriek on Blu-ray than things like Sisters and Dressed to Kill, which I already own on DVD.

As good as it is – and the new BD is terrific – even Blood and Black Lace holds less interest than those lesser-known films which either aren't available on DVD in the UK or have a non-anamorphic picture.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th April 2015 12:39 PM

To be honest, I'd rather Arrow leave the slashers to 88 - who are doing a fine job with their new slasher line and I hope their Italian line is just as successful - although I'm admittedly a little wary over some of the transfers we may get going off the problems Arrow and Raro have had in terms of certain Italian masters.

Arrow themselves have evolved into a more multi-genre cult label releasing all kinds of film, which of course opens themselves up to criticism when their multi-genre fans get an announcement that fails to impress based on personal tastes. I do feel they have realised the appeal of retro slashers mainly thanks to the success of companies such as 88 and Vinegar Syndrome and are now attempting to get a slice of the action.

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th April 2015 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 444617)
To be honest, I'd rather Arrow leave the slashers to 88 - who are doing a fine job with their new slasher line and I hope their Italian line is just as successful - although I'm admittedly a little wary over some of the transfers we may get going off the problems Arrow and Raro have had in terms of certain Italian masters.

Arrow themselves have evolved into a more multi-genre cult label releasing all kinds of film, which of course opens themselves up to criticism when their multi-genre fans get an announcement that fails to impress based on personal tastes. I do feel they have realised the appeal of retro slashers mainly thanks to the success of companies such as 88 and Vinegar Syndrome and are now attempting to get a slice of the action.

Perhaps they are going back to the genre releases because they've just discovered a company Stateside called Criterion. ;)

Nosferatu@Cult Labs 15th April 2015 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 444617)

I don't think it's healthy for the home video market when one company dominates completely, but Arrow has far more resources – both in terms of people and money – than 88, so it isn't (sadly) a level playing field and if both companies want a title, 88 will probably lose out. Also, Calum Waddell has been instrumental in the Slasher Classics range (he also landed, or tried to land, loads of titles for Arrow) and he is emigrating, so won't be available to offer his (freelance) services to 88.

Arrow do seem to be trying to be 'all things to all men' with the slashers and Academy releases, and everything in between (from Fangoria to Sight & Sound, if you will), so I wonder whether they will spread themselves too thin. When I looked at the extra features on Massacre Gun, it was really weird to see Tony Rayns present one of his visual essays on a non-Eureka/Masters of Cinema release!

Michael Brooke 15th April 2015 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs (Post 444620)
When I looked at the extra features on Massacre Gun, it was really weird to see Tony Rayns present one of his visual essays on a non-Eureka/Masters of Cinema release!

Much like myself, he's a freelancer who's happy to contribute to any label that will make him an attractive enough offer - as demonstrated by the fact that he's regularly featured on Criterion and BFI releases as well, and doubtless elsewhere.

And he was the obvious go-to guy for Massacre Gun and Retaliation, because how many other people are out there with that kind of encyclopaedic knowledge of Japanese cinema and extensive presenting experience, who speak English as a native language and who also live conveniently close enough to one of Arrow's producers? Jasper Sharp is the only other person I can think of, and he was already on booklet-essay duties.

Tony's one of those people like Kim Newman and Philip Kemp who get hired a lot by multiple labels for one very very obvious reason: they're bloody good at what they do. And having worked with all three in recent months (full disclosure: I produced, shot and edited both the Tony Rayns pieces on Massacre Gun and Retaliation), I'm more than a little envious of their single-take fluency, which is all the more impressive when you're actually in the room with them!