Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree26039Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd April 2015, 01:19 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
They also had zero interest in a couple of projects that I pitched to them circa 2011/12.

Three years later, they changed their minds, and I'm developing both right now.

Why? Because state-of-the-art 4K restorations had become available in the meantime.

Every recent conspiracy theory about Arrow needs to be assessed in the light of (a) their dramatic raising of technical standards post-2012, and the resulting increase in the number of masters being rejected (with certain types of film being disproportionally affected), and (b) their move into the US market post-2014, which has made it more feasible to go back to 35mm basics more of the time, thus allowing a reassessment of titles that had previously been rejected on technical grounds.

Ignore these factors and any over-arching theory about Arrow's post-2012 acquisition and release strategy is highly likely to be barking up the wrong tree.
Michael I like you a lot, and greatly respect your work, but if this is aimed at me you are barking up the wrong tree. I don't want to argue or to be forced to air my own proof of some people and their contempt for certain genres and films, as recently as last year, but it is present, there and inarguable. I experienced it firsthand. Indeed I was made to feel beneath contempt for liking certain cinema by one such person I am sure you work with. I am sure I will come out of this as the villain yet again - my words will be stretched anyway, shape and how by those with no experience in this biz - but your tastes in cinema and mine are very different. I doubt you have had many in depth email back and forths with certain people about the merits of Italian sleaze cinema for instance.

I won't add to this (already I am sure some people, doubtlessly never having worked in this industry, will be wanting to say I am talking nonsense) but I would rather comments subtly addressing myself are aired privately. I don't like being on message boards.

Last edited by Calum; 23rd April 2015 at 01:31 PM.
Old 23rd April 2015, 01:32 PM
Seasoned Cultist

I deliberately didn't mention any single individual because you are by no means the only person to concoct elaborate theories about Arrow's acquisition strategy over the last three years or so. You'll see plenty of examples in this thread going back months.

But hardly anyone has brought up Arrow's post-2012 raising of technical standards in these discussions, even though it's clearly been one of the absolutely crucial factors in determining whether some titles are more releasable than others.
fuzzymctiger likes this.
Old 23rd April 2015, 01:38 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
I deliberately didn't mention any single individual because you are by no means the only person to concoct elaborate theories about Arrow's acquisition strategy over the last three years or so. You'll see plenty of examples in this thread going back months.

But hardly anyone has brought up Arrow's post-2012 raising of technical standards in these discussions, even though it's clearly been one of the absolutely crucial factors in determining whether some titles are more releasable than others.
I am not concocting elaborate theories. You seem to be treating me as an outsider instead of someone who worked for the same label you do. For six years. And frequently for free (at the start anyway). Please do not talk down to me. As an aside some of their acquisitions over the past three years have been on my advice or on my providing them with the rights holders. Unless I dreamed up that cheque I got for Nekromantik.

This aside, we are good. You know where I am if you ever need anything.
Old 23rd April 2015, 02:25 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default The Arrow Films / Video Thread

Quote:
They also had zero interest in a couple of projects that I pitched to them circa 2011/12.

Three years later, they changed their minds, and I'm developing both right now.

Why? Because state-of-the-art 4K restorations had become available in the meantime.

Every recent conspiracy theory about Arrow needs to be assessed in the light of (a) their dramatic raising of technical standards post-2012, and the resulting increase in the number of masters being rejected (with certain types of film being disproportionally affected), and (b) their move into the US market post-2014, which has made it more feasible to go back to 35mm basics more of the time, thus allowing a reassessment of titles that had previously been rejected on technical grounds.

Ignore these factors and any over-arching theory about Arrow's post-2012 acquisition and release strategy is highly likely to be barking up the wrong tree.

I actually said on another forum that their decision to release a couple of these films now, was probably down to a few factors, including new restorations AND seeing the success other companies had with theses titles. As I said, I saw that the powers that be, weren't interested in the slightest in one of these titles before, and the reason wasn't about quality of the master, and now they are. That's all I'm saying. Nothing more, nothing less.
JAMIOUSE likes this.
Old 25th April 2015, 10:10 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post

New wave of postcards. Three unannounced titles hidden there.
The Martino one I'm pretty sure is Case of the Scorpion's Tail.
And the left corner one seems to be a kind of medieval knight. I initially thought Flesh + Blood.
keirarts likes this.
Old 25th April 2015, 02:54 PM
Active Cultist

That corner's really bugging me. All I can identify is a pumpkin(?).

And best of luck in whatever you get up to next, Calum! Thanks for all your contributions to Arrow's and 88's releases over the years (and hopefully you'll still send them the occasional title recommendation).
Steel76 and will graham like this.
Old 25th April 2015, 05:48 PM
Cult Addict

It kind of bums me out to hear about infighting and other nasty rumours circulating.

I had ASSUMED arrow had dropped the Italian titles primarily because the masters had a tendency to look quite ropey.

Regardless. Dont want to speculate too much so long as the stuff I want to see is getting released.

Also I quite liked the high rising bonus materials.
Old 28th April 2015, 09:11 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Posted over at criterionforum.org:

Quote:
A forum member got a postcard for Wake Up & Kill in a recent Arrow purchase. Apparently on the back of the postcard you get small images of the other cards in the set which includes two other unreleased titles; La Grande Bouffe and Your Vice is a Locked Room and Only I have the Key.
Old 28th April 2015, 07:14 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Well Vice would be a nice addition, I'd like Arrow or 88 to look at putting some of the former NoShame titles out. A fair amount of their transfers were pristine and almost looked HD at the time.
keirarts likes this.
Old 28th April 2015, 08:21 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

LONG GOOD FRIDAY STEELBOOK arrived today!
keirarts, Hawkmonger and Graeme73 like this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!