LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd May 2015, 06:02 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayzeUK View Post
From Twitter...

"Say hello to the first ever SteelBook release from @ArrowFilms! Up for pre-order" (Must mean first ever Arrow Academy steelbook).

The Voices - Zavvi Exclusive Limited Edition Steelbook (Limited to 2000) Blu-ray
I think it is Arrow Films - the 'standard' release banner for Arrow. All their steels so far have been Arrow Video. They haven't released any steels under the Academy banner as far as I am aware.
Old 22nd May 2015, 07:37 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayzeUK View Post
The Voices - Zavvi Exclusive Limited Edition Steelbook (Limited to 2000) Blu-ray
Film @ The Digital Fix - Arrow confirm the UK DVD and Blu-ray release of The Voices

"Arrow Films Video are to release the UK DVD and Blu-ray of The Voices on 13th July. Starring Ryan Reynolds, Anna Kendrick and Gemma Arterton, The Voices is as dark a comedy as you'll see this year. Directed by Iranian born Marjane Satrapi (Persepolis) the film sees Reynold's troubled factory worker driven to murder by his talking pets.

We can expect DVD, Blu-ray and Blu-ray steelbook releases. The DVD will feature interviews, interviews, 'Scare Prank', deleted and extended scenes and pet voice recording. The Blu-ray adds behind-the-scenes footage and animatics."
keirarts likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 23rd May 2015, 12:24 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@TheOverlook View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure the UK LaserDisc that I owned (on the Pioneer label) was the uncut version of the film - and that was issued way back in 1996/1997. Not quite sure why Arrow is making a song and dance about it now, twenty years after the fact
Videodrome has never been released fully uncut in the UK. Neither has the BBFC ever demanded cuts.

The original releases were heavily cut by the distributor who basically assumed that it would be cut given the political climate in the UK at that time. James Ferman himself stated that he would have no problems passing the film uncut but the distributor had cold feet.
Eventually Europe and the UK got an "uncut" release in the form of the r-rated cut that loses some moments of violence. A lot of UK viewers (me included) assumed this was uncut.
The critrerion release however was the unrated version and contained more violence and was quite a revalation to me when I saw it.
Arrow are making a big deal because after the Shivers debacle a lot of punters dreaded the "uncut" release being that r-rated cut. Seems Arrow have the criterion transfer so its the first time the film has been passed uncut.
Old 23rd May 2015, 01:09 AM
Cult Rookie

Default Church Minister's Video Review of Arrow's new Blu Ray of 'SOCIETY' (1989)

Hi,

I'm a church minister who loves horror movies. I write a monthly column called The Reverend Reviews in The Fortean Times where I often review Arrow releases. I also host the podcast The Flicks That Church Forgot.

I thought I might share my in depth video review of the upcoming Arrow Blu Ray "Society" as you might be interested in hearing what it's like. I can't post a URL here yet as I'm only just starting, but if you type The Flicks That Church Forgot into Youtube you'll find my channel.

Thanks!

Peter
Old 23rd May 2015, 06:54 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflicksthatchurchforgot View Post
Hi,

I'm a church minister who loves horror movies. I write a monthly column called The Reverend Reviews in The Fortean Times where I often review Arrow releases. I also host the podcast The Flicks That Church Forgot.

I thought I might share my in depth video review of the upcoming Arrow Blu Ray "Society" as you might be interested in hearing what it's like. I can't post a URL here yet as I'm only just starting, but if you type The Flicks That Church Forgot into Youtube you'll find my channel.

Thanks!

Peter
That would be very cool indeed!
Leprechaun likes this.
Old 23rd May 2015, 08:40 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by theflicksthatchurchforgot View Post
Hi,

Thanks!

Peter
Hi Peter, and welcome to Cult Labs.

This is your video, and it's very informative.

Old 23rd May 2015, 04:26 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

People here might be interested to follow this https://twitter.com/Arrowcast_
Old 23rd May 2015, 08:42 PM
Cult Rookie

http://www.zavvi.de/dvd/street-trash/10059733.html

Did Arrow change the dvd cases?
Old 25th May 2015, 09:50 AM
Cult Master

Film @ The Digital Fix - The Train

Film 9.0
Video 8.0
Audio 8.0
Extras 7.0
keirarts likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 25th May 2015, 10:10 AM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Videodrome has never been released fully uncut in the UK. Neither has the BBFC ever demanded cuts.

The original releases were heavily cut by the distributor who basically assumed that it would be cut given the political climate in the UK at that time. James Ferman himself stated that he would have no problems passing the film uncut but the distributor had cold feet.
Eventually Europe and the UK got an "uncut" release in the form of the r-rated cut that loses some moments of violence. A lot of UK viewers (me included) assumed this was uncut.
The critrerion release however was the unrated version and contained more violence and was quite a revalation to me when I saw it.
Arrow are making a big deal because after the Shivers debacle a lot of punters dreaded the "uncut" release being that r-rated cut. Seems Arrow have the criterion transfer so its the first time the film has been passed uncut.
Only the rental tape (released mid-1980s) was cut by the distributor (CIC Video) - this practice was fairly common at the time because companies were desperately trying to avoid the attention of the DPP - other self-censored films from this time include HALLOWEEN III and THE DEAD ZONE.

As I mentioned in a later post, the first sell thru release (issued in 1990, I believe) was passed uncut but CIC had submitted the R-rated version. There was even mention on the cover of this version including additional footage but obviously it was far from being uncut.

That UK Pioneer LD was definitely uncut - whether or not Pioneer submitted it to the BBFC or not, or if it is simply a case of the Board having to record for this (as I mentioned, it came out 1996/1997) for whatever reason, the uncut version did have a UK release - it was quite a cause for celebration back then - I sat beaming as I watched it

Like this? Share it using the links below!