Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree26039Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16th June 2015, 07:42 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I'm surprisingly the not too bothered about the slip case because the only release I have with one is Thief and it looks out of place with the other recent releases at it's the only one with a slip case.
I'm panicking about this and Blood Rage, because I want those slipcases.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 16th June 2015, 07:53 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
I'm surprisingly the not too bothered about the slip case because the only release I have with one is Thief and it looks out of place with the other recent releases at it's the only one with a slip case.
Indeed. Plus I'll be flipping the cover of my Contamination release when I do eventually buy it anyway... a slipcover would just get in the way of that and is a pretty strange 'add-on perk' considering the reversible artwork option exists anyway.

Maybe Arrow are trying the Scream Factory model for a bit... or are getting a little nostalgic for their old slip-box release days.

Joking aside, Arrow appear to be testing the water in terms of marketing their releases at the moment. We've seen several models at play over the past few months - numbered/initial small print run limited editions, editions with extra content (thicker booklets, comics etc.) limited run slipcovers, and of course there are the alternative steelbook editions which have been going for a while now. There is also recent talk of them making booklets limited so obviously they are looking at ways to cut costs and/or increase pre-order and first week release sales to maximise profits... despite the apparent scope of Arrow's business and their appeal as a label we are still talking niche releases in a niche market after all.

Paying up to £10 extra for a slipcover (or even a booklet) is never going to work for me though, however there will be people who will bite. I do like the limited edition collectors 'sets' however and always ensure to pre-order the ones I'm interested in at full price so I don't miss out. I also quite like the steelbooks (as long as the art appeals), but even these have the tendency to stick around for a longer and are regularly discounted on Arrow's site during their sales and at places like Zavvi.

We're certainly entering a transitional period where physical media is concerned and whilst I'm sure that discs will be around for many good years yet, the landscape in which they are being released is definitely changing... especially when talking cult cinema.
Old 16th June 2015, 09:34 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

I also love the physical media and find the 'experimenting' with packaging and extra features (particularly booklets) a little strange because for those who, like me, want their DVD and Blu-ray cases to line up in a consistent and aesthetically pleasing way, having the packaging which makes that possible as an afterthought is, as I said, peculiar.

As you said, it does seem that Arrow are working out the best business model for titles on an ad hoc basis, working it out as they go along, which is a little grating. However, it is understandable because printing three versions of the same title at the same time does not make good financial sense.

I can live without the limited edition slip cases – why Contamination, Thief and Blood Rage (an odd mix of titles) and not other releases is puzzling – and I'm even growing tired of steelbooks because they have lost the novelty/collectable value they had a few years ago and don't look particularly good when lined up on a shelf. When it comes to collections needing to be displayed, Shameless, 88 Films' Slasher Classics & Italian Collection, the Arrow Video keep cases, Redemption's numbered spines and even the ArrowDrome ones take some beating. I'd love to have the room and money to display the entire Masters of Cinema and Criterion Collections, but that will never happen!
Old 16th June 2015, 12:20 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

In my opinion that Contamination slip case is horrible. It looks cartoon like, some Battle of the Planets art work.
platostotal likes this.
Old 16th June 2015, 04:51 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
In my opinion that Contamination slip case is horrible. It looks cartoon like, some Battle of the Planets art work.
It looks great when you actually have it in your hands. As I said, I wasn't expecting it. Doubt a lot of people were, therefore I doubt that many will be upset if they don't get one. For me however it was a nice surprise and looks no shittier than a lot of the Criterion sleeve art.
Old 16th June 2015, 08:23 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Interesting look at the Nightmare City restoration by James White

this bit is especially interesting and a lovely addition to the release:

Quote:
We have also made the rare decision in this case to include Nightmare City’s pre-existing master on our Blu-ray release as well. This would give viewers the choice of watching both, and would serve to illustrate both the differences between the materials sourced and in our separate approaches to restoring the film.
Old 17th June 2015, 09:29 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Does anyone have that link to how much stock is left on limited editions? Or know where i can find it?
You mean this?

The Video Deck: Out of print - what and why?

It's out of date by 3 weeks. I've asked them to keep it updated (as that's the point), when they announced on FB that the SE of Society was down to "low double figures", yet that wasn't listed on here...
keirarts likes this.
Old 17th June 2015, 10:39 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme73 View Post
You mean this?

The Video Deck: Out of print - what and why?

It's out of date by 3 weeks. I've asked them to keep it updated (as that's the point), when they announced on FB that the SE of Society was down to "low double figures", yet that wasn't listed on here...
"***LIMITED EDITION STOCK UPDATE***
We’ve recently had a few fans get in touch for an update on our Limited Edition releases. A few of titles are getting very close to going OOP (see a rundown of these below) so if you are planning to pick a copy up don’t delay!

- Time Bandits SteelBook – 1% remaining
- Obsession Slipbox - 2% remaining
- Six Gothic Tales – 3% remaining
- Demons 2 - 3% remaining
- Tenebrae SteelBook – 7% remaining
- The Fall of the House of Usher SteelBook – 7% remaining
- The Burbs SteelBook – 8% remaining
- Killer Klowns from Outer Space SteelBook – 10% remaining
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers SteelBook – 11% remaining
- Foxy Brown SteelBook – 11% remaining
- Blow Out SteelBook – 13% remaining
- The Beyond SteelBook – 15% remaining
- Theatre of Blood SteelBook – 19% remaining
- Porky’s SteelBook – 20% remaining

Everything else that’s limited is in healthy supply."

Here's a recent post about the things nearly out that recently disappeared from their facebook page. Steelbooks are limited to 4000 and the Demons slipcases and Vincent Price to 2000.

So here's roughly how much were left, im assuming at Arrow's store.

- Time Bandits SteelBook – 40
- Obsession Slipbox - >100?
- Six Gothic Tales – 60
- Demons 2 - 60
- Tenebrae SteelBook – 280
- The Fall of the House of Usher SteelBook – 280
- The Burbs SteelBook – 320
- Killer Klowns from Outer Space SteelBook – 400
- Invasion of the Body Snatchers SteelBook – 440
- Foxy Brown SteelBook – 440
- Blow Out SteelBook – 520
- The Beyond SteelBook – 600
- Theatre of Blood SteelBook – 760
- Porky’s SteelBook – 800

I'd say only the top four are in danger of going out really soon, but I wouldn't hesitate on the rest. Society is also into double figures now.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 19th June 2015, 04:39 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

More Cenobites are coming! Hellraiser 2 and 3 will apparently also be released by Arrow Video later this year or next.
Old 19th June 2015, 04:44 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
More Cenobites are coming! Hellraiser 2 and 3 will apparently also be released by Arrow Video later this year or next.
Ooh my! Desperate for HIII I Believe the Italian BD is awful.
Vipp and Graeme73 like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!