LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 28th June 2015, 08:44 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
It could be broken from their perspective though.

The physical media market is shrinking and niche companies are finding that they are increasingly fighting over a shrinking customer base. This has led to a lot of 'trial and error' approaches to marketing product from store exclusives, collectors packaging/booklets, limited print runs etc. to either encourage customers to pay higher prices to combat the rise in package quality (due to increasing costs / lower print runs and/or more in house restorations and less off the shelf masters) in order to get a decent return for their investment. Arrow fielding this survey out to the fans is just a bit of market research and based on responses they will tweak their business model accordingly and in a way where they can still create a viable profit margin but maintain the overall quality of their releases.

It is a little flawed though as arguably the only section of their customer base who will see it (what with it being an online poll) will be the hardcore label aware collectors who use forums and social media. Therefore the answers will be heavily tilted towards a collector mentality (no digital and the want of all extras and special perks to remain). The casual fan on the high-street who may be responsible for as many (if not more) sales than the online collector and who may not be bothered about booklets, packaging and extras will probably not even be aware of the survey's existence.
That's a good point and the answers would be very different if the questionnaires/surveys were given out in HMV and completed by people who sometimes watch films on the train and don't collect in the same way most people here do, considering such things as the artwork as deal breakers when it comes to deciding which version to buy.
keirarts likes this.
Old 28th June 2015, 10:12 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I filled it in yesterday, mentioned Cult Labs as the only Internet Forum I use, and said I have absolutely no interest at all in digital downloads/streaming.
Me too on both counts.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 28th June 2015, 10:16 PM
Cult Addict

Imagine winning the full prize, ah well i can dream.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 29th June 2015, 12:48 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I spoke so much about CLabs on my survay that they might think i work for the forum.

it was my dawn of the dead that bought me here and i now know that 98% of the time you guys give accurate reviews so i buy from Arrow based on being here.

i said i wouldn;t mind download codes if they were included in the films as i travel a lot and like to have films on the go but i also said i wouldn't buy a film just digitally because i love the presentation they put into the phisical media and thats very impotant to me.

but if i could sign into my arrow accoun and access my film library at no extra cost when im away from home then im happy for that.

keirarts likes this.
Old 29th June 2015, 06:19 AM
Cult Addict

I actually said a big yes to the download/streaming options for reasons stated above.

If it keeps them afloat its a good thing. Vinegar syndrome stream films and it seems to have gone well. As much as I like to hiss at 'film fans' who 'don't believe in physical media' (yes someone actually said that to me.) The fact is a lot of people are streaming these days and we collectors of physical media are a dying species.
Vipp likes this.
Old 29th June 2015, 07:05 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
The fact is a lot of people are streaming these days and we collectors of physical media are a dying species.
I have seen my future Keirarts, it's full of VHS, dvd and blu-rays. I will be well and truly digested by worms before companies will see me paying top prices for renting digital media.
keirarts likes this.
Old 29th June 2015, 07:42 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

The amount of unused Digital codes I've got in DVD/BD boxes shows how much I want or need that service, to me it's all about owning the film and in some cases, the specific edition of that film
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 29th June 2015, 08:06 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Yep.

I rent/stream via Love Film mainly to save money (to combat potential buyer's remorse through 'blind buying' - especially as a cinema trip is a real rarity for me these days) but would never purchase a digital copy nor have any need to watch a digital copy if I owned a physical copy of the film.
keirarts and Vipp like this.
Old 29th June 2015, 12:41 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I actually said a big yes to the download/streaming options for reasons stated above.

If it keeps them afloat its a good thing. Vinegar syndrome stream films and it seems to have gone well. As much as I like to hiss at 'film fans' who 'don't believe in physical media' (yes someone actually said that to me.) The fact is a lot of people are streaming these days and we collectors of physical media are a dying species.

I have two mates who are "digital only". Good luck says I, when your HD crashes etc.

[B]
"... the days ahead will be filled with struggle ... and coated in marzipan ... "[/B]
Old 29th June 2015, 01:03 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I filled it in yesterday, mentioned Cult Labs as the only Internet Forum I use, and said I have absolutely no interest at all in digital downloads/streaming.
Same here, only use cult labs and no to digital downloads/streaming.

Like this? Share it using the links below!