Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree26041Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th August 2015, 07:32 PM
Active Cultist

From DVDBeaver review of Videodrome...

"This is a magnificent package. Arrow out-Criterion'ed Criterion with enough supplements to have you venturing into it for days. Wow. A perfect Blu-ray package and being 'limited edition' I wouldn't wait if you are even remotely a fan of this film. Our highest recommedation!"
Justin101 and keirarts like this.
Old 16th August 2015, 07:17 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
Nightmare City turned up today, watched the restoration version which has a bit of print damage, especially in the first 15 mins but also has some excellent detail, its a pity only 2 known prints seemingly exist as it could have been a rival for arrows own zombie flesh Blu-ray. I gave the dupe negative a quick spin and it appears to have substantially less print damage but also less image detail. Arrow must have put a great deal of work into this release and It makes for probably the best version we'll see of Nightmare City.

It's not so much "print damage" as "irreversible chemical decay to the camera negative".

In fact, prints - as in copies made for cinema projection - are very rarely used as the basis of Blu-rays and ideally should never be, as they're quite unsuitable (too contrasty, for starters), although sometimes it's unavoidable. But in the case of Nightmare City there wasn't any point tracking down any prints as they'd be as soft as the dupe negative that was used to make the second transfer - softer, in fact, because they'd be a further generation removed. Sadly, the only surviving element offering a genuinely sharp picture is the damaged original camera negative.
Old 16th August 2015, 11:40 AM
Cultist in Training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
It's not so much "print damage" as "irreversible chemical decay to the camera negative".

In fact, prints - as in copies made for cinema projection - are very rarely used as the basis of Blu-rays and ideally should never be, as they're quite unsuitable (too contrasty, for starters), although sometimes it's unavoidable. But in the case of Nightmare City there wasn't any point tracking down any prints as they'd be as soft as the dupe negative that was used to make the second transfer - softer, in fact, because they'd be a further generation removed. Sadly, the only surviving element offering a genuinely sharp picture is the damaged original camera negative.
Thanks for the reply Michael, I think it also helps to watch the short feature along with the two versions on the discs main menu just to see the difficulties arrows staff were faced with releasing NC. I for one am glad they did so though.
keirarts likes this.
Old 16th August 2015, 11:45 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveH View Post
Thanks for the reply Michael, I think it also helps to watch the short feature along with the two versions on the discs main menu just to see the difficulties arrows staff were faced with releasing NC. I for one am glad they did so though.
Retrospectively, I can see why Raro made the decision that they made with their release - everyone said that their version was DNRed to hell, but I think the problem was more that the element that they used simply had a very soft picture (thought to be a by-product of blowing up a Techniscope original to 35mm) and they thought that this was less of a problem than the damage to the neg.
keirarts, trebor8273 and DaveH like this.
Old 17th August 2015, 10:24 PM
Cult Rookie

Default In Depth Video review of Arrows new VIDEODROME release.

I'm the vicar who loves horror movies and I've spotted you've been chatting about Videodrome recently. I just uploaded my in-depth video review of Arrow's new release of VIDEODROME. It's an excellent release of a brilliant movie.

In the review I explore the the historical context of the film, the film itself and it's themes and then of course Arrow's presentation of it and the special features. Brilliant release.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIcYAM7SmBY

thanks!

Peter

www.theflicksthatchurchforgot.com

Last edited by theflicksthatchurchforgot; 17th August 2015 at 10:41 PM.
Old 18th August 2015, 11:33 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

So Zardoz. I have never seen it, I have watched a trailer on YouTube and I've read a few things about it online. Should I blind buy or is it really an acquired taste?
Old 18th August 2015, 03:41 PM
Active Cultist

From Facebook...

***Videodrome stock update****

And that's it folks! Videodrome is now OOP and has been removed from the Arrow Store. We can't believe this one has sold out 1 day after the official release date - a big thanks goes out to all of you that pre-ordered and picked this one up on release.
If you are still keen to grab a copy Amazon still have a small number left (Order direct form Amazon here: http://amzn.to/1LhleQN) and limited stocks may still be available at some HMV branches. Do try and act quickly to avoid disappointment!

I can see this one selling for £200+ shortly.
Old 18th August 2015, 04:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE View Post
So Zardoz. I have never seen it, I have watched a trailer on YouTube and I've read a few things about it online. Should I blind buy or is it really an acquired taste?
It might be your taste, though... Zardoz is awful, I would never have bought it on DVD but for some reason I really want the Blu Ray just to watch it once more. "ZARDOZZZZZZZ!" Yeah, get it!
Old 18th August 2015, 05:17 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

I quickly grabbed videodrome off amazon. I can't really afford it but as it's sold like wild fire it's now or never. There's no way I am waiting then paying some greedy parasite silly money on ebay down the line.
keirarts and Boo Radley like this.
Old 18th August 2015, 06:30 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Videodrome review at pissedoffgeek. https://www.pissedoffgeek.com/2015/0...lu-ray-review/
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!