Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree26041Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 7th December 2015, 09:30 PM
Cult Addict

Thought they might have started a xmas sale by now.
Old 7th December 2015, 09:38 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Thought they might have started a xmas sale by now.
It's rumored to be starting in the next few days apparently.
Old 8th December 2015, 08:02 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
Apparently Nekro 2 has sold out on the Arrow site, so you will need to go elsewhere - i.e. Amazon or Zavvi if you want it

Such is my luck for this year...I have missed out on it
Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Amazon currently have it for £14.99. They had sold out but seem to have more listed now so I'd advise jumping on it if you want it.

There will be the inevitable standard edition released early next year too for those who miss out on / don't want the LE.
They had a number of copies in Fopp in Nottingham/ There was no way I could miss it, so I grabbed a copy

Cost me £15.05!*

*Had to buy a bag as well!!!

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 8th December 2015, 12:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
They had a number of copies in Fopp in Nottingham/ There was no way I could miss it, so I grabbed a copy

Cost me £15.05!*

*Had to buy a bag as well!!!
Probably worth the 5p so the general public don't see you carrying around a necrophilia film
Old 8th December 2015, 03:12 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjconstable View Post
Probably worth the 5p so the general public don't see you carrying around a necrophilia film
That's what I thought!

It was just a fraction too big to fit in my handbag
keirarts likes this.

Old 8th December 2015, 03:41 PM
Cult Veteran

Fopp bags are clear plastic - completely see through
keirarts and sjconstable like this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 8th December 2015, 04:04 PM
Cult Master

Indeed they are, but I picked up two copies of the NME magazine (which is free) and sandwiched 'Nekro 2' between them!

"Up here for thinking, down there for dancing," eh guys!!!!!

Old 8th December 2015, 07:03 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
NEW UK/US TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT: BATTLES WITHOUT HONOR AND HUMANITY DUAL FORMAT BD & DVD [Limited Edition]

Battles Without Honor & Humanity - this seminal series of epic gangsterism told with gritty realism plays like a head-spinning fusion of Martin Scorsese and Paul Greengrass! This Limited Edition collections features Kinji Fukasaku’s (BATTLE ROYALE) original five films in the series with brand new extras, the never-before-seen in the west ‘Complete Saga’ and a 150-page hardback book! Limited to just 2000 copies (UK) and 3000 copies (USA). Individual editions of each of the five films (the Saga and book remain exclusive to this collection) will become available in 2016!

Kinji Fukasaku (Battle Royale) gave the world Japan’s answer to The Godfather with this violent yakuza saga, influencing filmmakers from Quentin Tarantino (Kill Bill, Reservoir Dogs) to Takashi Miike (Graveyard of Honor, Audition). Made within just two years, the five-film series brought a new kind of realism and ferocity to the crime genre in Japan, revitalizing the industry and leading to unprecedented commercial and critical success.

Literally exploding onscreen with a mushroom cloud, and ending with Hiroshima’s A-bomb Dome, the epic story of Battles Without Honor and Humanity follows over 100 characters through twenty years of gang wars, alliances, betrayals, and assassinations, in an exciting exploration of criminal power and politics in Japan. In the opening episode, ex-soldier Shozo Hirono escapes from the post-war black markets to become a key member of the Yamamori gang, but soon finds himself disillusioned by the selfish duplicity of his bosses. Hiroshima Death Match focuses on a demobilized kamikaze pilot drifting through the early 1950’s, whose suicidal impulses find good use as a mob assassin. Proxy War and Police Tactics form a labyrinthine, two-part story of ambition and betrayal set against Japan’s rapid economic growth of the 1960’s, with Shozo caught between warring factions. Final Episode concludes the series in the 1970’s as the former Yamamori gang transforms itself into an economic conglomerate called the Tensei Group, in a bid for mainstream respectability.

Fukasaku and his team broke with the longstanding studio tradition of casting marquee idols as honorable, kimono-clad heroes, defending their gang bosses against unscrupulous villains, and instead adapted true accounts torn from the headlines, shot in a documentary-like style, and with few clear-cut heroes or villains. The vibrancy and dynamism of the filmmaking, plus its shocking violence, Shakespearean plotlines, and wide tapestry of characters, launched a revolutionary new genre, establishing the series as one of the great masterpieces of world crime cinema.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
•Limited Edition Blu-ray Collection
•High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of all five original films
•Original Mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-rays)
•Optional English subtitles for all five films
•Remembering Kinji – a new featurette about director Kinji Fukasaku and his work, featuring interviews with Kenta Fukasaku and film critic and Fukasaku biographer Sadao Yamane
•Secrets of the Piranha Army – a new documentary about the troupe of supporting actors who appeared throughout the series, featuring new interviews with original Piranha members Masaru Shiga and Takashi Noguchi, plus second-generation Piranha, Takashi Nishina and Akira Murota
•All the Bad Guys – a new, comprehensive video guide to the actors in the films
•Fukasaku Family – a new interview with Proxy War and Police Tactics assistant director Toru Dobashi
•Man of Action – a new interview with series fight choreographer Ryuzo Ueno
•Tales of a Bit Player – a new interview with supporting actor and stuntman Seizo Fukumoto
•Last Days of the Boss – a new interview with Final Episode screenwriter Koji Takada
•Yakuza Graveyard – a new interview with Takashi Miike about Kinji Fukasaku and the yakuza film genre
•Original trailers for the series
•Original poster gallery for the series
•Limited Edition packaging and reversible sleeves for all five films including original and newly commissioned artwork by Reinhard Kleist

THE COMPLETE SAGA [LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE]
•English-subtitled premiere of the 224-minute compilation edition of the first four films, previously screened only as part of a limited Japanese theatrical release in 1980 and on the Toei cable channel
• Introduction by Complete Saga editorial supervisor Toru Dobashi

THE YAKUZA PAPERS [LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE]
•150-page hardback book featuring writing on the history of the yakuza film genre, the background and continuing importance of the Battles series, and additional essays on the men who made them, including a newly-reprinted and fully annotated edition of Paul Schrader's classic 1974 Film Comment essay Yakuza-Eiga: A Primer, a new, exclusive English translation of screenwriter Kazuo Kasahara’s 1974 Scenario magazine essay on his writing process for the first four films, as well as new essays and interviews from critics and authors Chris D., Grady Hendrix, Patrick Macias, Tom Mes, Mark Schilling, and Jasper Sharp.
More information about the US release, which I'm assuming will be identical to the UK one:

"US: Uncut and MPAA Unrated

There are no censorship issues with this release

Promotional Material

Kinji Fukasaku (Battle Royale) gave the world Japan s answer to The Godfather with this violent yakuza saga, influencing filmmakers from Quentin Tarantino to Takashi Miike. Made within just two years, the five-film series brought a new kind of realism and ferocity to the crime genre in Japan, revitalizing the industry and leading to unprecedented commercial and critical success.

Fukasaku and his team broke with the longstanding studio tradition of casting marquee idols as honorable, kimono-clad heroes, defending their gang bosses against unscrupulous villains, and instead adapted true accounts torn from the headlines, shot in a documentary-like style, and with few clear-cut heroes or villains. The vibrancy and dynamism of the filmmaking, plus its shocking violence, Shakespearean plotlines, and wide tapestry of characters, launched a revolutionary new genre, establishing the series as one of the great masterpieces of world crime cinema.

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS:

Limited Edition Blu-ray Collection (2500 copies)
High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) and Standard Definition DVD presentation of all five original films
Original Mono audio (uncompressed PCM on the Blu-rays)
Optional English subtitles for all five films

Limited Edition packaging and reversible sleeves for all five films including original and newly commissioned artwork by Reinhard Kleist

BATTLES WITHOUT HONOR AND HUMANITY (DISCS 1 & 2)
Brand new audio commentary by critic and author Stuart Galbraith IV
Yakuza Graveyard a new interview with Takashi Miike about Kinji Fukasaku and the yakuza film genre
Original trailers for all five films
HIROSHIMA DEATH MATCH (DISCS 3 & 4)
Man of Action a new interview with series fight choreographer Ryuzo Ueno
Original Trailer
PROXY WAR (DISCS 5 & 6)
Secrets of the Piranha Army a new documentary about the troupe of supporting actors who appeared throughout the series, featuring interviews with original Piranha members Masaru Shiga and Takashi Noguchi, plus second-generation Piranha, Takashi Nishina and Akira Murota
Tales of a Bit Player a new interview with supporting actor and stuntman Seizo Fukumoto
Original Trailer
POLICE TACTICS (DISCS 7 & 8)
Remembering Kinji a new featurette about director Kinji Fukasaku and his work, featuring interviews with Kenta Fukasaku and film critic and Fukasaku biographer Sadao Yamane
Fukasaku Family a new interview with Proxy War and Police Tactics assistant director Toru Dobashi
Original Trailer
FINAL EPISODE (DISCS 9 & 10)
Last Days of the Boss a new interview with Final Episode screenwriter Koji Takada
Original poster gallery for the series
Original Trailer
THE COMPLETE SAGA (DISCS 11, 12 & 13) [LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE]
English-subtitled premiere of the 224-minute compilation edition of the first four films, previously screened only as part of a limited Japanese theatrical release in 1980 and on the Toei cable channel
Introduction by Complete Saga editorial supervisor Toru Dobashi
THE YAKUZA PAPERS [LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE]
152-page hardback book featuring writing on the history of the yakuza film genre, including a newly-reprinted and fully annotated edition of Paul Schrader's classic 1974 Film Comment essay Yakuza-Eiga: A Primer, a new, exclusive English translation of screenwriter Kazuo Kasahara s 1974 Scenario magazine essay on his writing process for the first four films, as well as new essays and interviews from Chris D., Grady Hendrix, Patrick Macias, Tom Mes, Mark Schilling, and Jasper Sharp"
"
MacBlayne and keirarts like this.

Old 9th December 2015, 06:30 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Arrow's March UK only releases. Meh. That uninteresting (to me), I can't even be bothered typing what they are.
JAMIOUSE, plasterface and Graeme73 like this.
Old 9th December 2015, 06:35 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Arrow's March UK only releases. Meh. That uninteresting (to me), I can't even be bothered typing what they are.
Yeah, I've been checking here since they announced them, if anyone even bothers posting about them.
Graeme73 likes this.

YouTube | Letterboxd | Facebook

Like this? Share it using the links below!