Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree26042Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th June 2016, 07:12 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
The Japanese releases aren't anything that interest me and the gialli are all just dvd re-furbs. There's not an awful lot actually 'new'.
I have to disagree Dem - the gialli are much more than that. Apart from the host of new extras, quality 60 page booklets and artwork, the transfers themselves are stunning. I honestly think you are missing a trick by not going blu ray
Old 6th June 2016, 08:01 AM
Cult Addict

Not necessarily on Arrows giallos or even Arrow in general but i do agree with Mojo on blu ray as a whole. I can't help thinking you're underestimating the difference Dem. And probably saving a fortune
Old 6th June 2016, 08:29 AM
Cult Master

At time of writing, 'Suture' is up for £12.99 pre-order at Amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Suture-Blu-...suture+blu-ray
keirarts likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 6th June 2016, 09:22 AM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
And probably saving a fortune
Definitely this, I feel that I'd have a mortgage if it wasn't for blurays, but as it stands I'm paying through the nose for rental in a city centre, but I do have over 700 blurays
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 6th June 2016, 10:20 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
I have to disagree Dem - the gialli are much more than that. Apart from the host of new extras, quality 60 page booklets and artwork, the transfers themselves are stunning. I honestly think you are missing a trick by not going blu ray
I'm not disputing they'll look better (The booklets are a waste of paper to me. The only ones i tend to read are BFI ones, usually because i know very little about the films in question, like Penda's Fen) but they are mainly re-releases of things already released on dvd with the odd exception.

As for the artwork - the Arrow dvd's were better for artwork with their 4 panels.

None of this is a complaint. Just personal opinion.
keirarts likes this.
Old 6th June 2016, 01:23 PM
Cult Addict

I can see where Dem is coming from. I don't have a blue ray player myself, but in have been known to pickup a dual Arrow or two which I will play if taken round to a mates, etc.

I'm from the era ( Dem too!) where in some cases you had to squint just to see an image hiding amongst the snow and tracking lines. Then along came DVD and voilÃ*, a new day had dawned.

TBH, I haven't seen enough blue rays to say whether there is a marked improvement over DVD. Can someone persuade me to turn to the blu side?

Last edited by mr 420; 6th June 2016 at 01:41 PM.
Old 6th June 2016, 01:26 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr 420 View Post
I can see where Dem is coming from. I don't have a blue ray player myself, but in have been known to pickup a dual Arrow or two which I will play if taken round to a mates, etc.

I'm from the era ( Dem too!) where in some cases you had to squint just to see an image hiding amongst the snow and tracking lines. Then along came DVD and voilÃ*, a new at had dawned.

TBH, I haven't seen enough blue rays to say whether there is a marked improvement over DVD. Can someone persuade me to turn to the blu side?
No!

For me, the only good thing about blu-ray discs is that there are often more extras. Other than that, I tend to watch the DVD when it comes to dual discs

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 6th June 2016, 01:46 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
No!

For me, the only good thing about blu-ray discs is that there are often more extras. Other than that, I tend to watch the DVD when it comes to dual discs
Cheers Suzi. I would like to see the Arrow discs of Blood and Black Lace, just to see how much of a difference there is between the two. Not that much, thinks I.
Susan Foreman and keirarts like this.
Old 6th June 2016, 01:56 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Cheers Suzi. I would like to see the Arrow discs of Blood and Black Lace, just to see how much of a difference there is between the two. Not that much, thinks I.
DVDBeaver is a nice easy review site to see the direct quality difference between copies of movies. I know caps-a-holic does something similar and probably better but it's really fiddly and slow

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 6th June 2016, 05:04 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
You'd be surprised the B&BL blu is fantastic!

Blood and Black Lace Blu-ray - Eva Bartok
keirarts likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!