Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree26042Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 13th January 2017, 05:49 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I think this is the first time I'm not going to order a box set that I want due the packaging being ugly. I don't want that in my collection. Not just the box but the horrible square cases each disc is in haha. Bleugh.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 13th January 2017, 05:57 PM
Cult Acolyte

CALTIKI and CITY OF THE DEAD day one purchases. The PHANTASM set looks nice, but I'll wait for individual releases, or a simpler boxset a la HELLRAISER.
Old 13th January 2017, 06:01 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Just City of the Dead for me.
Funny story about that film that nobody asked for, but I'm gonna tell you anyway.
It was 1990 something (Goldbergs reference) and I spot a listing in the Daily Mirror for one City of the Dead on BBC2 as part of their Dr Terror double bills.
A few years earlier, I'd seen a still from that film, featuring the head of a zombie emerging from its grave (stop scratching your head wondering why you can't recall said scene in the film), which as a zombie fan, made me want to see the film, so the fact the BBC were showing it got me excited.
Fast forward to later that night and I'm laid in bed watching this old B&W film, starring my second favourite actor after Peter Cushing, Christopher Lee.
The film had nearly finished and I still hadn't seen the above mentioned flesheater rise from the grave, it must be in the final minute or so! Credits start to roll and I'm laid there disappointed that I didn't get to see this creepy looking scene, so I decide to hop out of bed, switch on my bedroom light and sift through my stack of Dark Side magazines, looking for the image I was certain was from City of the Dead.
Finally, I find it in the August 1992 issue, which happened to be an Italian Special, and would you believe it, I'd read the bloody caption wrong, the still was actually from City of the LIVING Dead, which as we all know wasn't in B&W, didn't star Christopher Lee and wasn't about witchcraft!

To sum up, despite my disappointment and stupidity, I became a fan of City of the Dead from that moment on, brilliant film, so that is why I will be adding the BD to my collection
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 13th January 2017, 06:20 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Anyone ever seen Wolf Guy, looks very interesting.

Gonna get this and Caltiki probably, would have preferred Kill, Baby, Kill but Bava is better than no Bava, especially one I haven't seen before.

Seems not to the best Bava film though from what I have heard.
Old 13th January 2017, 06:21 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
RE: THE UK VERSION

The Arrow site only has a listing for the 'Django' Arrowdrome DVD (£9:49). It seems that the Blu-Ray is not available from them anymore

However Amazon still has a listing for the Blu-Ray - £12:29
Ahem.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 13th January 2017, 06:25 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I must be the only one who thought it was another load of dreck for the third time in a row, that Arrow are putting out with the sole exception of Phantasm.

Pieces. I have the Grindhouse disc with the jigsaw so there is no way I'm paying out £60 for a vinyl disc I have no means of playing, plus the fact that they are not even in the same box and it will just float about looking out of place in my collection.

As for the rest, ignoring the 2 US releases, we have 2 re-releases - yet again - an obscure Japanese 1975 werewolf film that was so bad it has never been released outside of Japan before and whose only saving grace is that it stars Sonny Chiba, which is not saying much to be honest.
Caltiki - The Immortal Monster from 1959 - a film that had reviews that states, " A film so incredibly banal that it "almost" entertains.."
Catfight...'nuff said.
And the box office bomb, City of the Dead..

Thank God for 88 Films, Vinegar Syndrome, Synapse, Severin, et al.
Old 13th January 2017, 06:30 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Pre ordered anyway handy not having to pay upfront.
Biggest downfall with arrow, well that and some stuff gets delayed for months and it takes them weeks to delivery! Are there any advantages to using arrows store.
Old 13th January 2017, 06:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
And the box office bomb, City of the Dead..
Couldn't really find anything bad to say about City of the Dead could you?

'Box office bomb' is really feeble of you, Boo.
Old 13th January 2017, 06:36 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
I must be the only one who thought it was another load of dreck
yep you were the only one..........
trebor8273 and fuzzymctiger like this.
Old 13th January 2017, 06:55 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
As usual, I'll wait for the Phantasm set to sell out, then buy them when they're released individually.
Will try to resist!

LOVE CITY OF THE DEAD though!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!