Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree26042Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th February 2014, 07:14 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
I've become wary of Arrow over the last couple of years. Don't get me wrong here, I would much prefer them to be releasing titles than not but they need to pay a bit more attention to their final product before releasing it onto the money paying public.
I loved and bought all of their 4 cover slipcase editions but the quality control on some of them was atrocious, The Beyond, Tenebrae, Bird with Crystal Plumage and Zombie Flesh Eaters to name a few.
Now when they show a load of titles my first thought is, "How many of this batch is going to be substandard?"
They are worthy of praise for a lot of other films and in the main do a sterling job, but the uck-ups makes me pause now and I wait a while to see what feedback appears before spending my hard earned.
Agree with all of that , however the quality of the discs has undoubtedly improved. Then titles have not, at least in my opinion but quality wise they are no longer poor at all.
Old 20th February 2014, 07:24 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by davcol View Post
Then titles have not, at least in my opinion
What kind of titles do you think Arrow should be releasing?
Old 20th February 2014, 07:30 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
What kind of titles do you think Arrow should be releasing?
I like italian cinema or failing that i would like to see titles that have had no dvd release as of yet restored.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 20th February 2014, 07:40 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
I like italian cinema or failing that i would like to see titles that have had no dvd release as of yet restored.
The problem with Italian cinema - as was rather graphically demonstrated via Arrow's 2010-11 releases! - is that many Italian-sourced HD masters are either nonexistent or badly compromised, thanks to certain facilities houses' notorious habit of adding DNR or other digital nasties at the time of telecine/scanning, meaning that it's unremovable later.

Arrow can only afford to do a very small handful of original restorations per year, as this is a far more expensive process than using off-the-shelf masters - which is why their original Italian restorations are of titles like Zombie Flesh Eaters and Cinema Paradiso, which are guaranteed to sell well.

But of course the downside of using off-the-shelf masters is that it's overwhelmingly very likely that there'll be a DVD release elsewhere. Because unless rightsholders can sell the rights to multiple territories, there's usually little financial justification for shelling out a five-figure sum to create an HD master in the first place.

It's not quite an either-or situation of having either consistently high presentational and QC standards or a catalogue primarily made up of obscure rarities, but that's the kind of balance that has to be struck.
robertzombie likes this.
Old 20th February 2014, 07:50 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

With Arrow releasing MGM films could we see Charles Bronson make an appearance down the line? If Arrow are releasing Chuck Norris then why not Bronson.
Jinx_Barkman and davcol like this.
Old 20th February 2014, 07:51 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
The problem with Italian cinema - as was rather graphically demonstrated via Arrow's 2010-11 releases! - is that many Italian-sourced HD masters are either nonexistent or badly compromised, thanks to certain facilities houses' notorious habit of adding DNR or other digital nasties at the time of telecine/scanning, meaning that it's unremovable later.

Arrow can only afford to do a very small handful of original restorations per year, as this is a far more expensive process than using off-the-shelf masters - which is why their original Italian restorations are of titles like Zombie Flesh Eaters and Cinema Paradiso, which are guaranteed to sell well.

But of course the downside of using off-the-shelf masters is that it's overwhelmingly very likely that there'll be a DVD release elsewhere. Because unless rightsholders can sell the rights to multiple territories, there's usually little financial justification for shelling out a five-figure sum to create an HD master in the first place.

It's not quite an either-or situation of having either consistently high presentational and QC standards or a catalogue primarily made up of obscure rarities, but that's the kind of balance that has to be struck.
Yes i can see your logic and i understand that compromises have to be made. Its simply a minor irritation of mine in that i see the same titles released every few years or so it seems. Obviously this is not exactly the case its just how it appears to me and i dont solely blame this on any one dvd company.
As for the quality issues and such forth i must confess to having a very poor eye for these things. Im used to the VHS and Beta era so all DVD and BD look fine to my eyes. With regards to Arrow films i understand there were issues with past releases but to my mind a few seconds of missing footage of a boat is nothing at all. I would not want to give off the impression of being a hater in that regard.
Old 20th February 2014, 07:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

The only two titles I can say I will purchase with any certainty are The Burbs and Sisters. That's not to say I'm not interested in the others but there's just too much to buy these days. I'm not complaining though.
Old 20th February 2014, 08:03 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Yes i can see your logic and i understand that compromises have to be made. Its simply a minor irritation of mine in that i see the same titles released every few years or so it seems.
I'm currently working on White of the Eye, a film that was last released in the UK on VHS! And out of the nineteen titles being included in the Walerian Borowczyk box that will be my next project after that, six are world video premieres, six more are getting English subtitles for the first time, and all but four are UK video premieres.
Old 20th February 2014, 08:11 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
I'm currently working on White of the Eye, a film that was last released in the UK on VHS! And out of the nineteen titles being included in the Walerian Borowczyk box that will be my next project after that, six are world video premieres, six more are getting English subtitles for the first time, and all but four are UK video premieres.
Well i applaud that of course. I am not familiar with the work of Mr Borowczyk and last viewed White of the Eye on Moviedrome so this is all positive.
Old 20th February 2014, 08:15 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Michael can you possibly hint at what titles have been taken off the schedule due to inferior masters? Bava titles for instance or a certain Lenzi film that was announced last year?

Like this? Share it using the links below!