Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree26042Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd February 2014, 09:12 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
Ow! Okay! Really guys? Have I touched a nerve with some of you?
Well, you touched a nerve with me, because a pretty hefty number of my waking hours over the last two years or so has been devoted to making sure Arrow releases look as good as they possibly can!

Obviously, this was completely unintentional on your part, but when you start your post by saying "I've become wary of Arrow over the last couple of years", you're effectively implying that they were OK before but since then they've started to go downhill. And since I believe the exact opposite to be true, I thought this needed urgent clarification.

Quote:
I have no axe to grind against them at all but facts are facts and in the recent past (Years ago- if you're 35 or younger!) they have put out less than sterling presentations. No one denies that fact .....do they?
Absolutely not - in fact, it was because of these less than sterling presentations and the ensuing negative reaction that Arrow made a conscious effort to up its game, hiring people like James White, David Mackenzie and Deluxe (who currently rank very high among the best in the business) to handle the technical/encoding side of things, making every effort to track down the highest quality masters (and rejecting ones that aren't up to scratch) and generally paying much more attention to detail. Obviously, this is more expensive for them - I charge by the hour for my QCing and proofing services - but I hope the results speak for themselves.

Quote:
And I thought the Scream! Factory fan boys were intense!!
For my part, this has nothing to do with being a "fan boy" - I'm defending my professional reputation! And as a freelancer who isn't contracted to anyone (in other words, I have nothing to protect my income aside from the quality of my work), you can understand why I take stuff like this very personally indeed.

Right, back to QCing White of the Eye...

(which is shaping up to be a magnificent release: fans of both that film and Donald Cammell's work in general are going to be very very happy with this one!)
Old 22nd February 2014, 10:09 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
I charge by the hour for my QCing and proofing services - but I hope the results speak for themselves.

They do! And judging by them, I'm guessing you don't charge much!

Of course I'm joking. You do excellent work sir.
Old 22nd February 2014, 10:27 AM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by suziginajackson View Post
Beast Within seems to be dual format as I hoped owing to it receiving it's UK premiere.Humanoids From The Deep in the future fingers crossed
DaveH likes this.
Old 22nd February 2014, 01:34 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Re; Michael Brooke. I meant no offence at all, my choice of words could have been better selected but I write as I think and in retrospect I could have phrased it better.
Okay, I'm going to find a cave to hide in for a while....
Old 23rd February 2014, 06:53 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Will be picking up all the Price films, especially Theatre of Blood. Can finally retire my old non-anamorphic version.

Any news of when the Tenebrae amaray will be available?
Old 24th February 2014, 12:00 AM
Cult Master

Phantom of the Paradise | Blu-Ray Review | Film @ The Digital Fix

Film 9
Video 8
Audio 10
Extras 9

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 24th February 2014, 12:05 AM
Cult Master

From Melon Farmers:

Walerian Borowczyk 5 film collection set for Arrow Academy Blu-ray/DVD Combo release on 30th June

Camera Obscura Walerian Borowczyk Collection UK: Passed 18 uncut for:

2014 Arrow Academy (RB) Blu-ray/(R2) DVD Combo at UK Amazon released on 30th June 2014

Containing 5 films of which only La Bete has ad UK censorship problems:

Theatre of Mr & Mrs Kabal
Goto, Isle of Love
Blanche
Immoral Tales
The Beast

La BĂȘte is a 1975 French erotic fantasy by Walerian Borowczyk.
With Sirpa Lane, Lisbeth Hummel and Elisabeth Kaza

Originally banned by the BBFC. A pre-cut version was then passed X by the GLC. The BBFC allowed a pre-cut video release in 1988 and finally passed the film uncut in 2001. There are now 2 uncut versions A shortened Director's Cut and a less liked Complete Version.

The Arrow Academy release will feature at least the Director's Cut

Promotional Material

This groundbreaking collection brings together Walerian Borowczyk s key films from a twenty-five-year period stretching from 1959 through to 1984.

This unique release includes five of Borowczyk s provocative feature films: Theatre de M et Mme Kabal, Goto, l ile d amour, Blanche, Contes Immoraux and La Bete as well as his groundbreaking short films from this period.

Not only are many of these films available on Blu-ray and DVD for the first time, but also in new digital high definition restorations approved by the director s widow, Ligia Branice.

In addition to exclusive documentaries featuring cast and crew, an hour long portrait of Borowczyk is to be included, featuring the director s musings on painting, animation and sex.

Accompanying this seminal release is a book edited by Borowczyk experts Daniel Bird and Michael Brooke featuring newly commissioned essays on Borowczyk s films and art, as well as an account of the meticulous restoration process involved.

To round off the release is, for the first time, an English translation of Borowczyk s 1992 collection of short stories, Anatomy of the Devil, translated by the director's assistant, Michael Levy.

Arrow Academy s Walerian Borowczyk Collection is a vital addition to anyone interested in either world cinema, animation or experimental film.

Limited Edition collection featuring five feature films:

Theatre of Mr & Mrs Kabal (1967)
Goto, Isle of Love (1968)
Blanche (1971)
Immoral Tales (1974)
The Beast (1975)

And the short films:

The Astronauts (1959)
The Concert (1962)
Grandmother's Encyclopaedia (1963)
Renaissance (1963)
Angels' Games (1964)
Joachim's Dictionary (1965)
Rosalie (1966)
Gavotte (1967)
Diptych (1967)
The Phonograph (1969)
A Private Collection (1973)
Venus on the Half-Shell (1975)
The Greatest Love of All Time (1978)
Scherzo Infernal (1984)

FEATURES:

Brand new 2K restorations of Borowczyk films
Newly created exclusive content
Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned
Collector s booklet featuring limited edition exclusive content, new writing on the film, archive content and more!
More to be announced closer to the release date

News: Latest Cuts: BBFC cuts and bans

Old 26th February 2014, 08:05 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It's pay day for me so I've ordered Sisters and The Burbs. I'm undecided on Porkys and L'assaine, I don't know much about the latter.
Old 28th February 2014, 07:42 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default New Arrow Announcements...

Just got a despatch email from Arrow for The Stuff.
Daemonia likes this.
Old 5th March 2014, 02:51 PM
Cult Master

From FaceBook:

"**URGENT EARLY BIRD PRICE UPDATE**
We will be ending our early bird special offers on all Q2 titles earlier than originally anticipated. All early bird prices will now end at 9.30am tomorrow morning. We are really sorry for the short notice but unfortunately this is something that is beyond our control.

If you are intending to take advantage of our special pre-order offers we would advise that you act swiftly to avoid missing out.

Thanks in advance for your understanding and support."

The 'tomorrow' mentioned is Thursday, 6th March

Like this? Share it using the links below!