Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 3rd October 2014, 09:49 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Interesting. Whilst rights will surely be an issue on many of their existing titles (as they themselves allude to) I really hope that this doesn't slow their UK operation in any way, and that release date delays are not even more of an issue as they are already.

I guess with them getting a foot-hold in the USA, this may see them potentially acquire more titles (being able to make deals with US rights holders) and release titles region free, what with having an operation in both region A & B land.
After a lot of clarification and stuff after my original being upset, heres the conclusion I've reached:

Discs will be identical for both regions
No UK or US exclusive titles past current licenses (unless its super special)

downsides?
I believe this will inevitably lower the amount of per month releases, due to dual region rights, and other hassles
This also means stuff that would be tied up in the US but free in the UK (Shivers for example) won't see a release due to dual region being impossible.

Very complicated, but as long as there's no US exclusive stuff for the most part, im pretty pleased
keirarts likes this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 3rd October 2014, 09:50 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMIOUSE View Post
Well I certainly wish them luck, I hope they don't go the way of Severin in the UK or worse still NoShame.
Arrow's films are not nearly as niche or obscure enough for them to go down the NoShame route. Plus, with Severin they were a US company trying to get a foothold in the UK, which to be fair to them was a miniscule market compared to the US and perhaps not really worth investing heavily in.
Old 3rd October 2014, 09:53 AM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
Very complicated, but as long as there's no US exclusive stuff for the most part, im pretty pleased
I wouldn't mind if there was... being multi-region and all.

What is stopping Arrow licensing Body Double from Sony in the US once TT's deal expires and producing a superior encoded disc with some great artwork and a booklet for instance?
keirarts likes this.
Old 3rd October 2014, 09:54 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'm a little mixed on the whole thing. On one hand I think it will be very handy having a US base of operations. I think it could lead to some obscure US licenses, that it would have been more of a headache to deal with previously. But on another level, I worry we'll see them concentrate on titles they can get rights to in both the US and UK, which could see us missing out on many potential gems.

I can see it becoming confusing too. The boundaries between territories on the internet, and on social media aren't obvious. If someone in my feed gets a postcard for Stalker, and it ends up being a US only release I will be distraught. Well, until I remember I'm region free and can pick it up anyway... I can see a lot of the more unhinged people online, directing a lot of hate to Arrow, if a certain title they want has been picked up, but not for the territory they're in.
Old 3rd October 2014, 10:09 AM
Cult Addict

Thats the bit I don't like. It sounds like if they can't get US right then they just won't bother. So anything that's already licensed by a US distributor will be a no go for Arrow UK.
Old 3rd October 2014, 10:15 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
I wouldn't mind if there was... being multi-region and all.

What is stopping Arrow licensing Body Double from Sony in the US once TT's deal expires and producing a superior encoded disc with some great artwork and a booklet for instance?
I hope this means Arrow have a bit more clout in the marketplace and, with their new and improved QC team, can become a global player, buying rights for films like Body Double and doing a better job than Twilight Time did, possibly making it a complimentary release to that one (further damaging the bank balances of people who can't help double dipping!).

I see it as exciting news and, for those who are multi-region, hopefully access to even more titles with excellent AV quality, extra features and artwork.
trebor8273 and shel like this.
Old 3rd October 2014, 10:48 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
I hope this means Arrow have a bit more clout in the marketplace and, with their new and improved QC team, can become a global player, buying rights for films like Body Double and doing a better job than Twilight Time did, possibly making it a complimentary release to that one (further damaging the bank balances of people who can't help double dipping!).
See things like this would be great, but it doesn't sound like it's going to work that way. If they can't get the rights in the UK, and could in the US, for something, I'd rather they put it out in the US only. Better the Arrow treatment somewhere in the world, than not at all, right? But it doesn't sound like that's going happen, and it's sounding very much like going forward they'll concentrate on things they can get the rights to in both the UK and the US. Which I think is a huge shame.

I'm slightly concerned about Blood And Black Lace now. VCI own the US rights in perpetuity. Would Arrow then pass on the UK rights? Is Blood And Black Lace one of those special titles? I would certainly think so, but would Arrow? This comment from Arrow on Facebook scares the heck out of me!

Quote:
It would have to be something very special for us to release in the UK only.
It was in reply to a question about a few years down the line, but even still it's terrifying. If they had done this a few years ago, would we have gotten Branded To Kill, in such an excellent, Criterion killing, edition?

Don't get me wrong, I think there are a lot of positives of the move, but this is the negative that scares me the most.
Old 3rd October 2014, 11:09 AM
Cultist

This whole thing hurts my head and yet to be seen how it will affect UK releases.

Could this mean the UK will never see a lot stuff that Shout Factory have got out as Arrow US won't be able to release them so UK will just miss more titles leaving the likes of 88 to swoop in and take more of Arrow's home market. I'm sure it's beneficial for funding restorations but I'm not sold and not funding any of this. Good luck to em.
Old 3rd October 2014, 11:13 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default The General Arrow Discussion Thread

Tbh, I can see this being very difficult for Arrow. They're looking for at least $100,000. I could be wrong (and I hope I am), but I don't see them reaching that target. If they don't get it, they have to take a punt and use their own cash, and prey that they can make it back on sales from the US releases.
Old 3rd October 2014, 11:24 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
It's rare I look at a release with a tinge of jealousy since becoming region free, but I can't help hoping Arrow consider two upcoming Twilight Time releases, The Believers and Audrey Rose. Failing anyone other than TT putting them out, my DVDs will do. But both have plenty of potential for interesting supplements, considering the history of those involved.
i feel the same about TT might not be so bad if they actually put some effort into there releases but all you get is a bare bones package at 3 or 4 times the price of a arrow release. with Christine and fright night getting blu ray releases its better just waiting, see no point in TT who just seem unethical and greedy.

Like this? Share it using the links below!