Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 9th January 2015, 07:00 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by hallo37 View Post
Both cuts would almost certainly pass uncut (think they already have in the past) , I was thinking more of the extras, especially the torture room footage which is removed from its context in the film and may run into trouble with the BBFC
The strongest print to be released in the UK was the R-rated cut which is slightly shorter than the unrated cut of videodrome found on the Criterion release. The most noticeable trims to the R-rated cut are from the death of Barry Convex (les Carlson) after his death from being shot by the 'cancer gun'.
Prior to the BBC screening the R-Rated cut, the UK distributors made added cuts to the R-rated print in a bid to make the film less controversial given the climate at the time of the films release. The irony is that the distributor always believed it would get into trouble, however, James Ferman made it clear that he would not cut the film and was always lenient to the films of David Cronenberg. Eventually the film was released on VHS in the late nineties/early noughties 'uncut' however that print was the R-rated one which is the one released on Blu-ray in Europe.
Hopefully, given Criterion recently got Arrows Time Bandits print, Arrow will be getting the Criterion Videodrome. Lord knows the outrage if they release the R-rated cut!
Old 9th January 2015, 09:23 AM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
The strongest print to be released in the UK was the R-rated cut which is slightly shorter than the unrated cut of videodrome found on the Criterion release. The most noticeable trims to the R-rated cut are from the death of Barry Convex (les Carlson) after his death from being shot by the 'cancer gun'.
Prior to the BBC screening the R-Rated cut, the UK distributors made added cuts to the R-rated print in a bid to make the film less controversial given the climate at the time of the films release. The irony is that the distributor always believed it would get into trouble, however, James Ferman made it clear that he would not cut the film and was always lenient to the films of David Cronenberg. Eventually the film was released on VHS in the late nineties/early noughties 'uncut' however that print was the R-rated one which is the one released on Blu-ray in Europe.
Hopefully, given Criterion recently got Arrows Time Bandits print, Arrow will be getting the Criterion Videodrome. Lord knows the outrage if they release the R-rated cut!
I can see bloodhounds and torches if the R rated cut is released!!
keirarts likes this.
Old 9th January 2015, 09:42 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Ohh.... time for me to start winding up for this one....
I kept quiet over the Shivers disaster..
Rik likes this.
Old 9th January 2015, 09:58 AM
Cult Addict

What is happening with that Shivers release? Are they correcting it??
Old 9th January 2015, 10:10 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

As far as I can make out... No. That's it. By all accounts this is now the "go to" Hi Def version of the film signed off by Cronenburg himself. Even if he never watched the feature as is suggested by some.

I know bugger all about the process and how it works for other territories but I'm guessing somewhere else will have to do their own uncut version for us to get our hands on it...... I hope!!

Insidious, underhand, sneaky, grumble, grumble, moan, moan, rant and exhale!!
Old 9th January 2015, 10:33 AM
Cult Addict

I've not actually seen the film yet so i wouldn't recognise the cuts anyway but I've not no intention of buying it cut. Hi-def or not.
Old 9th January 2015, 11:33 AM
Cult Acolyte

It's the R rated theatrical cut, as opposed to the Unrated cut. So it was from a theatrical cut, and also previously included the They Came From Within title until the Shivers title was restored. Despite this, it also has footage that is previously not on the uncut DVDs.

So kind of like the Shameless New York Ripper, but the missing footage is due to theatrical cuts, not required cuts.

But Arrow have said they are doing their best to look into it, which I imagine is very hard considering the parties involved are major studio Lionsgate, major director Cronenberg, and Toronto International Film Festival. The odds aren't good.
keirarts likes this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 9th January 2015, 03:25 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

From Arrow's FB page:

"Our April titles are nearly done and dusted and we'll be announcing them on Wednesday January 14th at 4pm GMT / 8am PST / 11am EST!
This will include one Arrow Video UK-only release and 3 further UK/US releases. Care to take a guess on what they will be?"
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 9th January 2015, 03:33 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
As far as I can make out... No. That's it. By all accounts this is now the "go to" Hi Def version of the film signed off by Cronenburg himself. Even if he never watched the feature as is suggested by some.

I know bugger all about the process and how it works for other territories but I'm guessing somewhere else will have to do their own uncut version for us to get our hands on it...... I hope!!

Insidious, underhand, sneaky, grumble, grumble, moan, moan, rant and exhale!!
It's my understanding that this situation is ongoing, with Arrow talking to their Canadian counterparts.
Boo Radley likes this.
Old 9th January 2015, 07:01 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
You have less chance of getting that than I have of waking up tomorrow thin and with a full head of hair. (ps, that video cover was shit).
No ****ing chance then!
Stephen@Cult Labs likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.

Like this? Share it using the links below!