Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree26039Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 17th January 2015, 12:01 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
OMG!! Pooch..... and you guys think I moan....
No one moans like pooch.
Boo Radley likes this.
Old 17th January 2015, 12:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
I've had this discussion elsewhere but perhaps SOMEONE please enlighten me as to the constant screw ups arrow have been responsible for in the past two years. I've been buying most of their output in that time and as soon as they ditched the ropey Italian HD masters the quality has shot right up. Still I here people refer to constant screw ups? Or perhaps I'm just an "arese licking sycophant" as everyone's favourite failed journalist and prize twat pooch JD described me as.
That said I hope arrow are triple checking everything from now on!
I think I have bought around 90 of Arrows catalogue and of the top of my head there have been problems with:

House by the Cemetery (Arrow ran a replacement program)
The Beyond (Arrow ran a replacement program)
Shivers
Zombie Flesh Eaters (Arrow ran a replacement program)
Card Player (Arrow ran a replacement program)
Martin (Arrow ran a replacement program)
Savage Streets

and I guess we could include a number of others (Sisters comes to mind) where there has been discussions over the image quality - although I tend to be a bit more accepting on this point than some others.

Since ZFE they seem to have got quality (almost) under proper control. My main gripe today is delays, often by only a couple of weeks admittedly, but in the case of Rabid Dogs it was almost a year between when I paid (I tend to order directly from Arrow) and when I received my disc, which is well beyond the period of time where I have legal remedies with my credit card company if there was to be some problem with the order. Perhaps most concerning was in all that time they could't be bothered to send me an e-mail to explain the situation.

In my daily work I tell my project managers that it is better to be cautious?pessimistic when providing delivery dates - in my business (and I guess in Arrow"s too) nobody ever complained when something was delivered ahead of time and when my project managers are late I insist they contact the customers directly.
Old 17th January 2015, 12:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

What was wrong with Martin, The Card Player and Savage Streets? I'm assuming my copies of the first two are the fixed ones, but I just got Savage Streets yesterday and hadn't heard of any problems.

As for the delays, hell they've even fixed that now, their last few ones have been on target, and Thief, The Killing, and Withnail, are all ahead of schedule.
keirarts likes this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 17th January 2015, 12:32 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by fuzzymctiger View Post
What was wrong with Martin, The Card Player and Savage Streets? I'm assuming my copies of the first two are the fixed ones, but I just got Savage Streets yesterday and hadn't heard of any problems.

As for the delays, hell they've even fixed that now, their last few ones have been on target, and Thief, The Killing, and Withnail, are all ahead of schedule.
The Card Player had no subs when watching with the Italian audio track.

For Martin the audio was slightly out of sync with the picture.

The Savage Streets DVD is a shoddy NTSC-PAL conversion so perhaps strictly not a quality control problem but just a bad decision (and I guess the reason the problem wasn't fixed).
keirarts and fuzzymctiger like this.
Old 17th January 2015, 12:36 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by keirarts View Post
Or perhaps I'm just an "arese licking sycophant" as everyone's favourite failed journalist and prize twat pooch JD described me as.
Oh, is he a failed journalist? That would explain his bizarre fixation on how much Arrow pays me in his last PM to me - which was so hilariously wide of the mark that "Michael's massive fees" has now become an in-house meme.

(Believe me, nobody in the physical media business these days is in it for the money! I'm massively reliant on having a wife with a proper job, and doesn't she know it.)

Quote:
That said I hope arrow are triple checking everything from now on!
I can personally assure you that Rabid could hardly have been more thoroughly checked. I'm not even the project's producer, and I've watched the whole thing something like nine times since October.
Old 17th January 2015, 12:37 PM
Cult Addict

While there was good reason for the delays on rabid dogs something should have been offered be it swapping for another title or extra reward points.

With sisters, the burbs ect I suspect people just ain't used to grain yet.
Old 17th January 2015, 01:11 PM
Seasoned Cultist

There was absolutely nothing technically wrong with either The 'burbs or Sisters. The former was a James White special - in other words, Arrow was able to control every stage of the process from scan to restoration - and the latter was sourced from Criterion's master, with all that that implies in terms of their own typically sky-high standards. In other words, I can say with total certainty (for The 'burbs) and high probability (for Sisters) that they look exactly as they were supposed to look.

Basically, if people didn't like how those BDs looked, their beef is with the original cinematographers and/or the manufacturers of the film stocks.

It's the same with White of the Eye, a BD that some numpty gave 3/10 for "picture quality" despite the fact that Arrow's restoration was sourced from a scan of the original camera negative (via an ArriScan, which is the state of the current art, largely because it doesn't introduce any noise or other visible glitches as a by-product of the scanning process). As it happens, I saw the film on its brief theatrical release and vividly remember the ultra-thick grain, high contrast and blown-out highlights of the flashback sequences, which were so marked that I originally assumed they'd been shot on something like Super 8 film! And you'd have thought that the detailed explanation in the booklet as well as an extra that presented the flashback footage before the bleach-bypass treatment had been applied would have made it clear beyond any possible doubt that those sequences were supposed to look like that - but it seems not.

The basic problem is that some people are so obsessed with the notion that "high definition" means "a pristinely crystal-clear image" that they can't get their heads around the fact that some films have always looked rather different from their conception of what's "ideal". But I'm afraid that's just tough.
Old 17th January 2015, 03:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

My opinion is that everybody makes mistakes and that includes Arrow.

To expect every release to be perfect is unrealistic.

At least they have a ethos of releasing psychical discs with new artwork etc, that many mainstream studious just don't have.
Old 17th January 2015, 03:33 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist!!

Cinema-Extreme: And The (S)Hits Keep On Coming! It's Yet Another Arrow Screw-Up!

It made me laff!!!
Old 17th January 2015, 03:41 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boo Radley View Post
He really likes to end sentences with exclamation marks, doesn't he?

Like this? Share it using the links below!