Old 23rd October 2015, 11:48 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Default The Arrow Films / Video Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
I'm afraid you are mistaken: the SD video source is missing information at the sides. So in order to create a widescreen version, you'd have to chop the picture at the top and bottom - i.e. on all four sides, and heavily at that.

This would obviously look hideous, which is why Arrow very sensibly decided to offer the viewer a choice - watch the theatrical cut in uninterrupted 2K restoration, or the longer cut with (unavoidably) analogue SD video inserts showing the entirety of the surviving picture area. I honestly don't see how they could have done it any other way in the absence of 35mm materials of the offcuts (missing presumed destroyed).

You know you already explained this to to me over on blu-ray.com, Michael? No need to explain again. 🙂

Last edited by Stephen@Cult Labs; 24th October 2015 at 12:31 AM.
Old 24th October 2015, 07:08 AM
Seasoned Cultist

It was more for the benefit of other people who might not have seen my original reply.
Old 24th October 2015, 07:24 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
It was more for the benefit of other people who might not have seen my original reply.

I know, Michael. Just teasing.
Old 24th October 2015, 07:33 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Michael - have you checked the infernal cinema review of Helllraiser; there could be a problem.
Old 24th October 2015, 08:32 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by tele1962 View Post
Can anyone tell me if HMV Newcastle has Black Cats and how much please?
HMV price it at £34.99
J Harker and tele1962 like this.
Old 24th October 2015, 08:33 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemesis View Post
Michael - have you checked the infernal cinema review of Helllraiser; there could be a problem.

If they're talking about the exploding head scene, that was edited (only a few frames) for an R-rating, and Hellbound actually features the full version since it was put out unrated.
keirarts likes this.
Old 24th October 2015, 08:45 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
If they're talking about the exploding head scene, that was edited (only a few frames) for an R-rating, and Hellbound actually features the full version since it was put out unrated.
That's ok then; the review made this bigger than it needed to be.
Old 24th October 2015, 09:39 AM
Cult Addict

People seem to get confused as to what actually passes for cut and uncut or just plain edited for cinematic/ home release by distributes. We don't need EVERYTHING ever filmed ever for the first three Hellraiser film (still stoked for the surgeon scene though).
keirarts likes this.

DVD and BD collection
Old 24th October 2015, 09:55 AM
Seasoned Cultist

The reviewer has already retracted his claim on Arrow's Facebook page:

Quote:
I've just checked my Italian set, the scene actually is cut. Lord knows why I thought it was uncut. But the scene is cut in The Scarlet Box. I assume it was a decision made by Barker if BBFC say it's uncut but it's still not in the finished movie. Apologies for any confusion! But having reviewed the set, this is really a first class effort by Arrow.
Given how excitable people get about these things, I really wish reviewers would check their facts before sounding off in public! A couple of days ago I had to deal with another gun-jumper who complained that Arrow "boobed" for not presenting The Firemen's Ball in widescreen, an accusation which ignored the fact that:

1) Virtually all non-Scope Czech films were presented in 1.37:1 right up to (and beyond) the Velvet Revolution of 1989;
2) The original cinematographer supervised and approved not just one but two restorations (Criterion circa 2000, Czech National Film Archive 2011) at that ratio.
keirarts, trebor8273 and Graeme73 like this.
Old 24th October 2015, 10:02 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Given how excitable people get about these things, I really wish reviewers would check their facts before sounding off in public! A couple of days ago I had to deal with another gun-jumper who complained that Arrow "boobed" for not presenting The Firemen's Ball in widescreen, an accusation which ignored the fact that:

1) Virtually all non-Scope Czech films were presented in 1.37:1 right up to (and beyond) the Velvet Revolution of 1989;
2) The original cinematographer supervised and approved not just one but two restorations (Criterion circa 2000, Czech National Film Archive 2011) at that ratio.

Seriously? I mean, fair enough, I understand that the cut / uncut thing may confuse slightly.

But, how do you manage to presume that Arrow messed up the aspect ratio? On a Blu Ray, no less.
keirarts likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!