Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th December 2015, 06:44 PM
Cult Rookie

Default Nothing for me so far

I can appreciate Arrow releasing other "art films" on the Arrow Academy and releasing more strange obscure films on Arrow Video but I do feel they are either running out of available licenses to buy or aren't that interested in expanding their range of horror/slasher movies as fast as they used to, I like that they are getting more mainstream movies and would love for them to pick up some big licenses like Friday the 13th or Halloween, Phantasm could be a good one for them.

But I am under the belief that they will release less Horror movies as the years go on, but hopefully they will be a few standards that don't really need a special set and a couple of big sets just so we have something for the people who have been collecting a while. I am only interested in the Horror and Japanese cinema, I tend to just buy Limited releases and then by standards in the sale the next year, I have everything I want from the start of the white box era up until now excluding some of the standard releases from last year and this year.

Still love Arrow, 88 Films, 101 and the likes just don't cut it for me, I will buy them in sales but the only Label that ever rivalled Arrow was Shameless and I feel they are dying a horrible death.
plasterface and MacBlayne like this.
Old 10th December 2015, 07:19 PM
Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Overkillingtime View Post
I can appreciate Arrow releasing other "art films" on the Arrow Academy and releasing more strange obscure films on Arrow Video but I do feel they are either running out of available licenses to buy or aren't that interested in expanding their range of horror/slasher movies as fast as they used to, I like that they are getting more mainstream movies and would love for them to pick up some big licenses like Friday the 13th or Halloween, Phantasm could be a good one for them.

But I am under the belief that they will release less Horror movies as the years go on, but hopefully they will be a few standards that don't really need a special set and a couple of big sets just so we have something for the people who have been collecting a while. I am only interested in the Horror and Japanese cinema, I tend to just buy Limited releases and then by standards in the sale the next year, I have everything I want from the start of the white box era up until now excluding some of the standard releases from last year and this year.

Still love Arrow, 88 Films, 101 and the likes just don't cut it for me, I will buy them in sales but the only Label that ever rivalled Arrow was Shameless and I feel they are dying a horrible death.
I've been collecting Shameless too, I always guessed it was insane decision to release cut movies to blu that probably did them some financial damage (and pull back on output in general). I would love those yellow blu cases on my shelf but there's no way I will shell out twice the price of Blue Undergrounds uncut NYR for theirs (the 10th Victim was same price situation though was actually uncut, when that came out you could import two copies BU's 10th Victim and have change) and Cannibal Holocaust was edited. 3 out of 4 of their strolls into blu ray (where the collectors who pre order this stuff are throwing the cash at) have been unappealing then they've dropped back to the rare DVD release now. 88 Italian label is what Shameless should be at right now. Really sad that Shameless aren't more prolific (and releasing lovely HD stuff but at this point just more stuff would be brilliant).

I do like 88 but they're in that infancy that early Arrow Video was with minimal extras and releasing any HD masters they are given. Though they are cheap so you really cant complain. I hope they go far!
Old 10th December 2015, 07:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

I think Arrow will always release arty films, the important thing to remember is that you don't have to purchase them. On another forum I've been called an Arrow fanboy, I'm not at all. I buy the titles I want or interest me. Arrows expansion into the US market will bring more gialli and horror. They seem to be picking licenses previously held by Shriek Show and NoShame plus we know from Calum Waddell that they've gone back to some of the leads he unearthed.

Arrow have always released arty films and lost classics on their labels. I was annoyed they seemed to move away from horror and Italian horror in particular, I think with 88 picking up a fair amount of rights Arrow maybe started to realise that theres still money to be made from these titles. Arrow had no interest in releasing slasher titles then 88 started their successful Slasher Classics and Arrow start announcing slasher titles.

I think Shameless are sadly on a downwards spiral, their output has dropped to a few titles a year if were lucky and is often titles the core fanbase will already have or have already made a descion on by reputation alone. I think 88 have with that too.

So Wednesdays Arrow announcement was mostly arty stuff that none of us were and are not interested in. Friday could see them announce The Night Evelyn Came From The Grave, Case of The Scorpians Tale, American Horror Project Volume 2 and Blood Fest. You never know...
Old 10th December 2015, 07:45 PM
Seasoned Cultist

As a massive fan of Fassbinder's work I had to order that set. I already own the Arrow DVDs, but this release looks stunning in my opinion. Roll on March.
MacBlayne likes this.
Old 10th December 2015, 08:10 PM
Cult Addict
Good Trader

Are they meant to be releasing Case of the Scorpions Tale?
Old 10th December 2015, 09:09 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

All good points people.

Nice to see decent debate going on again!

Anyway THE BURNING will be a nice Arrow announcement tomorrow......
plasterface and MuckyFunster like this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 10th December 2015, 09:19 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
All good points people.

Nice to see decent debate going on again!

Anyway THE BURNING will be a nice Arrow announcement tomorrow......

Obviously joking mate, since it's UK/US titles, and even you know it's already out in the US.
Old 10th December 2015, 09:38 PM
Cult Master

Ill take one or both of these in tomorrows annoucement

28625_1_large.jpg the-slayer-movie-poster-1982-1020233000.jpg

Old 10th December 2015, 09:42 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Ill take one or both of these in tomorrows annoucement

Attachment 173028 Attachment 173029

Haven't seen Mausoleum in years! I'd definitely like to see the charms of Bobbie Bresee in HD.
Old 10th December 2015, 09:45 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Haven't seen Mausoleum in years! I'd definitely like to see the charms of Bobbie Bresee in HD.
My DVD is well worn out

Like this? Share it using the links below!