Especially at £60 when its £35 at HMV.
It's worth about £20.
Old 15th January 2017, 04:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
the US set will hit before the Arrow set

https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/A...iglink20280-20

i wonder if 10,000 is a bit over ambitious on Arrow's part given they won't have as many North American sales?
I gather a lot of people were unhappy with the US edition of the original, and those slightly more discerning about PQ and region free will possibly import. It's not really clear yet, as far as I know, if Arrow are using the same materials, or have done any extra work, but I'd be surprised if the compression isn't superior.
Old 15th January 2017, 04:39 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
It's worth about £20.
I like the first three, but the last one his dire.
Old 15th January 2017, 04:57 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
It's worth about £20.
Knocked down to £10 in a sale.
J Harker likes this.
Old 15th January 2017, 05:10 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
With £10 off.
Old 15th January 2017, 05:24 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadite View Post
With £10 off.
The first one I really like, I'd view the others as bonus features.
Old 15th January 2017, 05:42 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Surprised that the House 1-4 blu-ray collection is so popular!

Exactly how I feel about the Phantasm set
Justin101 likes this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 15th January 2017, 05:59 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Exactly how I feel about the Phantasm set
I don't rate those films much either.
Rik, Justin101 and trebor8273 like this.
Old 16th January 2017, 02:21 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Have ordered phantasm set from amazon (hopefully will go down before release) and house set from hmv as £35.
Really dont want to miss out as have paid out more when i've missed releases in the past, ie; nekromantik.
Graeme73 likes this.
Old 16th January 2017, 04:30 PM
Cult Master

ARROW ACADEMY

Time for our April announcements! First up…

NEW UK TITLES: Alice + Crimes and Misdemeanors + Shadows and Fog

Three more Woody Allen classics get the stand-alone treatment

Pre-order your copy of Alice: Alice
Pre-order your copy of Crimes and Misdemeanors: Crimes and Misdemeanors
Pre-order your copy of Shadows and Fog: Shadows and Fog
Release Date: April 3rd 2017

Alice
A delightful return to the romantic-comedy territory that Woody Allen last explored in such classics as Annie Hall and Manhattan, Alice was also Oscar-nominated for Best Original Screenplay, but departs from the earlier films in its embrace of out-and-out fantasy to the point where it becomes a contemporary fairytale.

Alice Tate (Mia Farrow) is trapped in a loveless marriage to Doug (William Hurt), to the point where a chance encounter with handsome jazz musician Joe (Joe Mantegna) leaves her hopelessly conflicted. Seeking treatment for backache from a Chinese acupuncturist (Keye Luke), she confesses her feelings under hypnosis and comes away with some ancient herbs that possess mysterious and even supernatural powers. But will they solve Alice’s dilemmas, or merely make them even more complicated? And can she really throw away all Doug’s material wealth purely for love?

Gliding effortlessly from reality to daydream and from memory to magic, while exploring the intricate and unfathomable unity of human bonds, Alice was described by the New York Times as “hilarious and romantic, serious and exuberantly satiric”.

Crimes and Misdemeanors
“If it bends, it’s funny; if it breaks, it’s not” claims Alan Alda’s hilariously pompous TV producer, and one of the miracles of Woody Allen’s dark and Dostoevskian masterpiece is that it knows exactly how far to bend the comedy so that it doesn’t undermine the far more serious moral dilemmas at its core.

Two men wrestle with their consciences: idealistic documentary filmmaker Cliff Stern (Allen) is offered a lucrative fee to shoot a flattering profile of his loathsome but far more successful brother-in-law (Alda), while respected ophthalmologist Judah Rosenthal (an Oscar-nominated Martin Landau) is faced with exposure by his vengeful ex-mistress (Anjelica Huston), and has to choose between the spiritual advice of his rabbi (Sam Waterston) and more practical suggestions from his mobster brother (Jerry Orbach).

Described by the Los Angeles Times as “one of the watershed films of his career”, Crimes and Misdemeanors remains one of Woody Allen’s greatest films, not least for its scathingly clear-eyed view of how far people will to go to protect their apparent integrity, even at the price of losing the real thing.

Shadows and Fog
One of Woody Allen’s strangest films, this studio-bound fantasy turned his Kafkaesque one-act play Death (1975) into a full-blown homage to German Expressionist filmmakers like Fritz Lang, F.W. Murnau and G.W. Pabst, brought to life by one of the starriest casts he ever assembled: Kathy Bates, John Cusack, Mia Farrow, Jodie Foster, Julie Kavner, Madonna, John Malkovich, Donald Pleasence and Lily Tomlin, plus Allen himself.

He plays the cowardly Kleinman, reluctantly recruited by a vigilante mob in search of a serial killer. When he finds himself involved with a troupe of circus performers whose sword-swallower Irmy (Farrow) and clown Paul (Malkovich) want to leave to start a family, Kleinman thinks that this is a welcome distraction – but the killer has other ideas...

Described by the New York Times as “a brazen, irrepressible original”, Shadows and Fog is the most visually and narratively unpredictable of Allen’s films. Carlo di Palma’s dazzling cinematography makes full use of the title elements, but it’s the richness of the multi-layered narrative, with its Shakespearean oscillation between burlesque comedy and poignant tragedy that really sticks in the mind.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!