All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 24th October 2018, 06:41 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by g053584398 View Post
StudioCanal have licensed plenty of titles to Network from the look of things.

You’re right, LOADS of them!
Old 24th October 2018, 07:35 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Network's deal covers the kinds of ultra-obscure films that StudioCanal owns but can't be arsed to handle themselves - so, for instance, the kind of minor Ealing titles that even historians of the period would struggle to name off the top of their heads, not Passport to Pimlico and Kind Hearts and Coronets. It's very very unlikely that they or anyone else would be able to get Peeping Tom off StudioCanal, not least because their edition is still in print.

(I tried to licence The Masque of the Red Death as an Arrow Corman/Poe box set exclusive, in a strictly limited edition - and even that was a no-no. At the time, I assumed that they must have been limbering up for their own UK release, but four years later nothing's happened.)
fuzzymctiger and Graeme73 like this.
Old 24th October 2018, 07:36 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@TheOverlook View Post
You’re right, LOADS of them!
There are some pretty interesting films amongst that lot as well.

https://www.screendaily.com/network-...049999.article
Old 24th October 2018, 07:39 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
Network's deal covers the kinds of ultra-obscure films that StudioCanal owns but can't be arsed to handle themselves - so, for instance, the kind of minor Ealing titles that even historians of the period would struggle to name off the top of their heads, not Passport to Pimlico and Kind Hearts and Coronets. It's very very unlikely that they or anyone else would be able to get Peeping Tom off StudioCanal, not least because their edition is still in print.

(I tried to licence The Masque of the Red Death as an Arrow Corman/Poe box set exclusive, in a strictly limited edition - and even that was a no-no. At the time, I assumed that they must have been limbering up for their own UK release, but four years later nothing's happened.)
So the other Vincent Price and Roger Corman collaborations released by Arrow have different ownership to The Masque of the Red Death?
Old 24th October 2018, 07:40 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:

...which emphasises another crucial difference: Network licensed 450 titles in a massive block, which isn't a realistic option for most boutique labels, who prefer to cherry-pick much smaller quantities.

Although minds can change over time - four or five years ago, Arrow was after various key New Zealand films but were told that they had to licence massive chunks of the NZ Film Commission catalogue, much of which clearly had next to no commercial potential in the UK. I'm assuming that there was a change of heart at the Kiwi end, presumably spurred by the lack of licensing income.

Quote:
So the other Vincent Price and Roger Corman collaborations released by Arrow have different ownership to The Masque of the Red Death?
Yes, which is why it wasn't in the box set (and not for want of trying!). AIP produced most of them outright, and their catalogue ended up being acquired by MGM, with whom Arrow had a deal - but because Masque was a UK co-production AIP didn't end up with the British rights, which were owned by a different company whose catalogue was subsequently acquired by StudioCanal. I was quite surprised that The Tomb of Ligeia - also a UK co-production - didn't fall into the same category, but apparently it didn't.
Old 24th October 2018, 08:35 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:

yep, 2018 and still waiting for blus for a lot of the choice genre movies e.g. Horrors of the Black Museum.

450 is a helluva a lot of films though. i guess they couldn't release them en masse without saturating the market.

as of now Network have 232 DVDs and 38 blus in their THE BRITISH FILM collection - so still a lot unreleased in either format

i wonder how long the deal lasts?
Old 24th October 2018, 09:45 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
yep, 2018 and still waiting for blus for a lot of the choice genre movies e.g. Horrors of the Black Museum.

450 is a helluva a lot of films though. i guess they couldn't release them en masse without saturating the market.

as of now Network have 232 DVDs and 38 blus in their THE BRITISH FILM collection - so still a lot unreleased in either format

i wonder how long the deal lasts?
At the start of this year Network were asked why their releases of films were drying up and although they didn't answer the question as such they said a lot more were due for release later on this year. I think a press release said something similar.

However no sign of anything yet so maybe they have been put back to next year as they seem to be concentrating on tv at the moment.
Old 25th October 2018, 01:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
At the start of this year Network were asked why their releases of films were drying up and although they didn't answer the question as such they said a lot more were due for release later on this year. I think a press release said something similar.

However no sign of anything yet so maybe they have been put back to next year as they seem to be concentrating on tv at the moment.
Hopefully they will get around to releasing more of those titles. I've been very impressed with the ones that I've bought and have actually acquired dozens of them over the last few weeks.
Old 25th October 2018, 02:47 PM
Cult Acolyte

has Arrow's Creepshow 2 US release gone OOP? i know the limited edition sold out but i was expecting to be able to find a standard edition but only the old VCI release seems to be available?
Old 25th October 2018, 03:12 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
has Arrow's Creepshow 2 US release gone OOP? i know the limited edition sold out but i was expecting to be able to find a standard edition but only the old VCI release seems to be available?
I don't know anything about the Arrow US version at all, but it sounds as though the UK 88 Films release is decent.

Like this? Share it using the links below!