Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10th July 2019, 05:13 PM
Cult Master

ARROW ACADEMY

"***NEW ANNOUNCEMENTS ARE COMING!***

Join us this Friday (July 12th) at 3.00pm BST / 7.00am PDT / 10.00am EDT for our October title reveals!"

Much too obvious to be 'Top Hat'!
Stephen@Cult Labs likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 10th July 2019, 05:46 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Old Hat?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 12th July 2019, 03:00 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Bells of St. Mary's – 7th October 2019

After triumphing at the Academy Awards® (including wins for Best Picture, Best Director and Best Actor) with the 1944 box office smash Going My Way, director Leo McCarey (Duck Soup) and star Bing Crosby immediately collaborated on the equally successful follow-up, The Bells of St. Mary’s, presented here in a heavenly 4K restoration.

Father “Chuck” O’Malley (Crosby) is dispatched to fix up an inner-city parochial school on its last legs, and his easy-going, unconventional demeanour instantly clashes with that of the firm, no-nonsense Sister Superior Mary Benedict (Ingrid Bergman, fresh off winning the Best Actress Oscar® for Gaslight), who is keeping the school open through sheer will and faith alone. Over the course of the school year, the pair bicker and ultimately bond over their differing visions on how to save the school – and the role a miserly businessman (Henry Travers, It’s A Wonderful Life) who wants the building condemned might play in doing so.

An instant crowd-pleaser on its release, The Bells of St. Mary’s remains just as affecting today, thanks to McCarey’s directorial light touch, Crosby’s laidback charisma and iconic singing voice, and Bergman’s radiant charm, all of which earned them well-deserved Oscar® nominations.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

• 4K restoration of the film from Paramount
• High Definition Blu-ray™ (1080p) presentation
• Original lossless mono audio
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard-of-hearing
• Up to His Neck in Nuns, an all-new visual essay by David Cairns
• Analysing O’Malley, a newly filmed appreciation by chaplain and film academic Revd Dr Steve Nolan
• You Can Change The World, a 30-minute religious propaganda short film from 1949 directed by McCarey and featuring appearances from Crosby, Bob Hope, Irene Dunne, William Holden and Jack Benny, presented in High Definition
• Two Screen Guild Theater radio adaptations starring Crosby and Bergman, plus an additional radio featurette
• Re-release theatrical trailer
• Image gallery
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Jennifer Dionisio

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Fully illustrated booklet containing new writing on the film by Ronald Bergen

https://fetch.fm/arrow-academy/arrow...s-of-st-marys/
Old 12th July 2019, 03:03 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Man of a Thousand Faces – 28th October, 2019

One screen legend pays homage to another in Man of a Thousand Faces, an enthralling biopic which sees Oscar-winning tough guy James Cagney give a multifaceted portrayal of silent cinema legend Lon Chaney.

In early horror classics such as The Hunchback of Notre Dame and The Phantom of The Opera, Lon Chaney captivated audiences with his vivid personifications of grotesque and afflicted characters. His extraordinary make-up skills, and miraculous ability to completely transform into grisly yet sympathetic and tragic monsters, garnered him international acclaim and the famous moniker of this film’s title.

Yet, despite his talent and success, Chaney led a life plagued by hardship and heartache. This insightful film-portrait traces the trajectory of the actor’s career: from impoverished vaudeville clown to Hollywood stardom, whilst also capturing the drama that surrounded his private life. The film is presented here for the first time in dazzling High Definition, with a selection of revealing extras.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS

• Brand new restoration from the original negative by Arrow Films
• High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
• Uncompressed Mono 1.0 PCM audio soundtrack
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• New audio commentary by film scholar Tim Lucas
• The Man Behind a Thousand Faces, a newly filmed look at Lon Chaney and his legacy by the critic Kim Newman
• Image gallery
• Original trailer
• Reversible sleeve featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Graham Humphreys

FIRST PRESSING ONLY: Fully Illustrated booklet with a newly commissioned essay by Vic Pratt of the BFI

https://fetch.fm/arrow-academy/arrow...housand-faces/
Old 12th July 2019, 03:20 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

It’s a goddamn Friday Miracle, they’re actually releasing a film I’m interested in on the Arty Farty label! Will get Man of a Thousand Faces in the next sale
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 12th July 2019, 03:31 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Two must have’s for me there. Love The Bells of Saint Mary’s. It was one of rhe first films on vhs that my family owned.
Old 12th July 2019, 03:31 PM
Cult Master

Love James Cagney so i will have a bit of that.
Old 12th July 2019, 03:48 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

A better announcement for the Academy range than the last few Arrow Video ones, in my opinion.
Graeme73 likes this.
Old 12th July 2019, 03:53 PM
Cult Acolyte

i don't much like Man of a Thousand Faces. its a bit of a 1950s Hollywood puff piece and the recreation of the famous make-ups are so poor they only serve to remind you of how great Chaney's original make-up's were.

however, i do like a a bit of Lucas and Newman in my extras....
Old 12th July 2019, 04:13 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
i don't much like Man of a Thousand Faces. its a bit of a 1950s Hollywood puff piece and the recreation of the famous make-ups are so poor they only serve to remind you of how great Chaney's original make-up's were.

however, i do like a a bit of Lucas and Newman in my extras....
I’ve never seen it, but I’m a fan of Lon Chaney so have wanted to check it out for ages, definitely waiting for the sale though
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!