Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 8th October 2019, 07:38 PM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
Could that be to do with the number of artists on the album? If it's a record by one band or one person, that's what contract. If it's a compilation, that would probably get a lot more expensive.
Any of the soundtrack i have bought from Waxwork or Death Waltz were just one artist Halloween soundtracks Zombie Flesh Eaters House By The Cemetery were all the same price as The Warriors which was a compilation so maybe its the coloured vinyl and packaging that pumps up the price and maybe limited numbers.
Old 8th October 2019, 07:43 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
Any of the soundtrack i have bought from Waxwork or Death Waltz were just one artist Halloween soundtracks Zombie Flesh Eaters House By The Cemetery were all the same price as The Warriors which was a compilation so maybe its the coloured vinyl and packaging that pumps up the price and maybe limited numbers.
That would make sense. If a film release had a red disc instead of a silver one and limited edition packaging, they would be more expensive than the basic one. Hellraiser, The Thing, and Crimson Peak would be good examples of that.
Old 8th October 2019, 07:49 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
That would make sense. If a film release had a red disc instead of a silver one and limited edition packaging, they would be more expensive than the basic one. Hellraiser, The Thing, and Crimson Peak would be good examples of that.
It's also hard for me to talk about prices as i discussed with Dem on another thread here a couple of weeks back what i pay here for even a regular album is a hell of a lot more than ye pay in the UK so maybe soundtracks are not as expensive for ye. In Tower Records in Dublin the Arrow Vinyls sell for €50 when released first.
Old 8th October 2019, 07:57 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Thanks for everyone who replied, I was just curious to why they are so expensive.
Nordicdusk likes this.
Old 9th October 2019, 06:47 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Vinyl has been reinvented as an expensive niche item, and I’m all but certain that the same will happen with Blu-ray, if it’s to survive at all.

The limited edition model has been surprisingly effective at persuading people to pay more realistic prices nearer the release date (something that’s becoming increasingly essential if certain labels are to remain in business at all), but margins are insanely tight right now, and narrowing all the time.

Fortunately, an industry friend’s prediction that 2018 would see at least one high-profile British boutique label going under didn’t happen, and it thankfully hasn’t happened in 2019 yet either - although the fact that Signal One nearly went under as a direct result of the HMV near-collapse (and, although they’re still in business, they haven’t released anything for nearly a year) shows how desperately vulnerable small labels are to unexpected shocks.
Old 9th October 2019, 07:18 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
Vinyl has been reinvented as an expensive niche item, and I’m all but certain that the same will happen with Blu-ray, if it’s to survive at all.

The limited edition model has been surprisingly effective at persuading people to pay more realistic prices nearer the release date (something that’s becoming increasingly essential if certain labels are to remain in business at all), but margins are insanely tight right now, and narrowing all the time.

Fortunately, an industry friend’s prediction that 2018 would see at least one high-profile British boutique label going under didn’t happen, and it thankfully hasn’t happened in 2019 yet either - although the fact that Signal One nearly went under as a direct result of the HMV near-collapse (and, although they’re still in business, they haven’t released anything for nearly a year) shows how desperately vulnerable small labels are to unexpected shocks.
Signal one not released anything in a year, sounds like another label with yellow cases who seem to be very similar these days.
g053584398 likes this.
Old 9th October 2019, 10:18 AM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gag View Post
Signal one not released anything in a year, sounds like another label with yellow cases who seem to be very similar these days.

Last time I spoke to them online, it seemed like they weren't getting lots of sales and wouldn't really be licensing anymore titles.
Old 9th October 2019, 10:30 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Signal One is still bringing out Nightmare Alley, but not until some time next year. I suspect they'd already spent too much on that project to write it off - credit where it's very much due, Johnny Mains and I were paid in full for our commentary (recorded in summer 2018!), and impressively promptly.

But I understand that they've significantly cut back on their release slate across the board, and that the huge financial hit that they sustained from the HMV near-collapse was the major reason.

The other massive elephant in this particular living room is of course Brexit - more specifically, the fact that thanks to various still ongoing political shenanigans nobody currently knows what's going to happen. And since we're dealing with an industry that largely manufactures its products in central Europe... well, you can presumably work out the potential pitfalls.
Old 9th October 2019, 12:08 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Last time I spoke to them online, it seemed like they weren't getting lots of sales and wouldn't really be licensing anymore titles.
Are you referring to Signal One here or Shameless as gag alludes to in the second part of his sentence?
Old 9th October 2019, 12:37 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Are you referring to Signal One here or Shameless as gag alludes to in the second part of his sentence?

Signal One.

Like this? Share it using the links below!