Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree26042Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 15th January 2020, 06:09 PM
Cult Master

ARROW ACADEMY

"***NEW ANNOUNCEMENTS ARE COMING!***

Join us this Friday (January 17th) at 3.00pm GMT / 7.00am PST / 10.00am EST for our April new title reveals!"

It seems that the clever money is on the Polish Krzysztof Kieślowski film 'Bez Konca' ('No End')

g053584398 likes this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 16th January 2020, 03:48 PM
Cult Master

ARROW ACADEMY

"*** BLACK ANGEL REPLACEMENT DISC PROGRAMME***

Due to a technical glitch during the authoring of our BLACK ANGEL release, the film’s original 1.33:1 aspect ratio image was mistakenly altered to appear within a 1.28:1 ratio. This is incorrect and has resulted in a slight vertical compression to the image. The fist screen grab is from the uncorrected version...

... and the second is the corrected version.

Our initial stock is being dispatched, so whilst we will fix this on future pressings, we will be setting up a disc replacement service for anyone who has already pre-ordered this release. The new encode is now ready so we anticipate that replacement discs will be available shortly. We will of course follow up with another post once the replacement disc programme is live so please do keep an eye on our page for updates.

Many thanks for your understanding and continued support!"

Old 17th January 2020, 02:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

So apparently Warners will be handling physical media for Universal in the UK from 2021 onwards. Wonder how this will affect Arrow? Some speculation on Blurage that it could be negative. As I understand it Indicator also have a newly struck Universal deal.
Old 17th January 2020, 03:42 PM
Cult Master

ARROW ACADEMY

NEW UK TITLE: Eric Rohmer 100 - Comedies and Proverbs (Blu-ray)

Release date: April 20th

The Comedies and Proverbs series brings together six of the Éric Rohmer's best

"Rohmer 100: Celebrating Éric Rohmer's Centenary

Éric Rohmer enjoyed a remarkable career. Between 1949, when he started work on his first short film, to the release of his final effort, The Romance of Astrea and Celadon, in 2007, Rohmer directed some 28 features, as well as numerous shorts and documentaries, many of them masterpieces.

The Comedies and Proverbs series brings together six of the Éric Rohmer's best; the first entry in the series, The Aviator's Wife, sees François become obsessed with the idea that his Girlfriend is being unfaithful. A Good Marriage follows Sabine in her pursuit of matrimony with Edmond, who it seems is the only person that doesn't know the two are set to marry. In Pauline at the Beach the titular Pauline and her cousin Marion discover lovers new and old during a summer vacation. Full Moon in Paris centres on Louise who although in a relationship with Remi seeks the freedom of single life. The Green Ray sees Delphine let down by her holiday companion, travelling alone she witnesses a remarkable natural phenomenon. The sixth and final tale in the series, My Girlfriend's Boyfriend, tells the story of new-to-town Blanche and her colleague Léa whose relationships become entangled.

Complemented by numerous bonus features, this special edition Blu-ray set provides both a welcome opportunity for the newcomer to explore the work of a great director as well as a must-have collection for the die-hard Rohmer fan."

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentations of six Éric Rohmer features: The Aviator's Wife, A Good Marriage, Pauline at the Beach, Full Moon in Paris, The Green Ray, My Girlfriend's Boyfriend
  • Original French mono soundtracks (uncompressed PCM)
  • Optional English subtitles
  • Introductions to The Aviator’s Wife, A Good Marriage, Pauline at the Beach, Full Moon in Paris and The Green Ray by Éric Rohmer
  • In depth appreciation of Rohmer by filmmaker and actor Richard Ayoade
  • Effraction: Tchéky Karyo, an hour-long French television documentary profile of the Full Moon in Paris actor
  • On-set report from the making of My Girlfriend’s Boyfriend
  • Archive interview with André Dussollier on The Aviator’s Wife
  • Archive interview with Claude-Jean Philippe and Caroline Champetier on Pauline at the Beach
  • Archive interview with Arielle Dombasle on Pauline at the Beach
  • Archive interview with Pascale Ogier on Full Moon in Paris
  • Archive interview with Marie Rivière on The Green Ray
  • Changing Landscapes, a 1964 documentary short directed by Rohmer
  • Audio interview with Rohmer
  • Trailers for all six films
  • Reversible sleeves featuring six artwork options

g053584398 likes this.

Old 17th January 2020, 03:49 PM
Cult Master

ARROW ACADEMY

NEW UK TITLE: Cinema of Conflict: Four Films by Krzystof Kieślowski (Limited Edition Blu-ray)

Release date: April 20th

This quartet of films covers a tumultuous period in Polish and Eastern European history, shot with unflinching realism by a filmmaker of distinction.

"Few names are as synonymous with Polish cinema as that of Krzystof Kieślowski, the renowned auteur responsible for the Dekalog and Three Colours trilogy. Prior to the fall of the Berlin Wall and his subsequent creative and critical success in France, Kieślowski plied his trade within the confines of the Eastern Bloc, capturing the realities of everyday life under Soviet rule. This collection gathers his four earliest narrative feature films, encapsulating the years 1976–1984.

In 1976’s The Scar, a well-intentioned Party loyalist is charged with overseeing the construction of a new chemical plant in the face of fierce resistance and is forced to confront the conflict between his good intentions and local opposition. In 1979’s Camera Buff, a family man and amateur filmmaker experiences a dramatic change in fortunes when his newfound hobby opens up new horizons but also results in deep marital and philosophical conflicts. Blind Chance, completed in 1981 and denied a release in its native Poland until 1987, presents three possible outcomes to a single, seemingly banal event – a young medical student running to catch a train – and, in the process, explores the relationship between chance and choice. Finally, in 1984’s No End, a recently bereaved translator juggles the conflicting demands of her work, caring for her son and her continued visions of her late husband, all against the backdrop of a Poland under the grip of martial law.

As socially conscious as Kieślowski’s earlier documentary shorts, this quartet of films covers a tumultuous period in Polish and Eastern European history, shot with unflinching realism by a filmmaker of distinction."

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
  • Limited Edition collection (2000 copies)
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentations of all four films
  • Original lossless mono audio for all films
  • Optional English subtitles for all films
  • Brand new audio commentary on Camera Buff by critic Annette Insdorf
  • Brand new audio commentary on Blind Chance by film historian Michael Brooke
  • Ghost of a Chance, a brand new visual essay on No End by Adrian Martin and Cristina Alvarez Lopez
  • Moral and Martial Anxieties, a brand new discussion with Michael Brooke, exploring the brief and remarkable Polish film renaissance of the turn of the 1980s
  • Brand new introductions by scholar and critic Michał Oleszczyk to all films
  • Michał Oleszczyk looks through archive materials for each film
  • Archival interviews with filmmakers Agnieska Holland and Krzysztof Zanussi, cinematographers Slawomir Idziak and Jacek Petrycki, actress Grazyna Szapoloska, sound designer Michal Zarnecki, critic Annette Insdorf and Kieślowski collaborator Irena Strazakowska
  • Three short films by Kieślowski: Talking Heads (1980), Concert of Requests (1995) and The Office (1995)
  • Workshop Exercises, a 1987 short film by Marcel Lonzinski
  • Reversible sleeves featuring original and newly commissioned artwork by Corey Brickley
  • Collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the films by scholars and authors Ewa Mazierska, Marek Hatlof, Dina Iordanova and Joseph G. Kickasola, and original writing by Kieślowski

g053584398 and Justin101 like this.

Old 17th January 2020, 08:35 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Does anyone buy these? Lol!
It's great that arrow are saving & preserving all these oddities, but they are of a VERY specific taste!
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 17th January 2020, 09:38 PM
Active Cultist

same thing could be argued about some of the obscure slasher films they release.
Susan Foreman and Graveyard like this.
Old 17th January 2020, 10:00 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
It's great that arrow are saving & preserving all these oddities, but they are of a VERY specific taste!
While I agree I'm sure some people will, and it'll also bring attention to people who don't know these films, eg me , otherwise certain films will disappear into obscurity and be forgotten about to extent only available on vhs because companies are to busy giving some films there 30th release .
Old 17th January 2020, 10:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostalgic View Post
It's great that arrow are saving & preserving all these oddities, but they are of .a VERY specific taste!
i don't buy them but i've seen a few when i used to watch anything with subtitles in my younger days on BBC2 or Channel 4. To be honest, probably at first, because there was always a good chance of some body getting their kit off . However, it did lead me to a deeper appreciation of world cinema and I still occasionally attend a screening at the local arthouse cinema although not as much as i'd like

i'm not sure how films by world renowned filmmakers can be described as oddities? It's us that are are buying the oddities

these are great releases for the cineastes. and clearly sell enough for Arrow to keep interested in making them available.
Old 17th January 2020, 11:26 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
i don't buy them but i've seen a few when i used to watch anything with subtitles in my younger days on BBC2 or Channel 4. To be honest, probably at first, because there was always a good chance of some body getting their kit off . However, it did lead me to a deeper appreciation of world cinema and I still occasionally attend a screening at the local arthouse cinema although not as much as i'd like

i'm not sure how films by world renowned filmmakers can be described as oddities? It's us that are are buying the oddities

these are great releases for the cineastes. and clearly sell enough for Arrow to keep interested in making them available.
I'm not privy to the sales figures, but it's a pretty safe bet that Arrow was happy enough with the performance of Kieślowski's Dekalog (already into its second edition) to take a punt on these - and it's obvious from today's online reaction that they can also look forward to quite a few Poles importing them, as their editions are drastically inferior (completely barebones 1080/50i transfers), assuming they're even available at all - Arrow's Camera Buff appears to be a world BD premiere.

And yes, these aren't remotely "oddities". Granted, they're nowhere near as famous as Dekalog or the Three Colours trilogy (and realistically never will be - they're too Polish, too political and too indivisibly linked to what was happening in Poland at the turn of the 1980s, which the extras will hopefully help clarify), but Kieślowski is still a huge name in European cinema, and so the box will get plenty of coverage for that reason alone.

As for people getting their kit off, Blind Chance and No End are your best bets.

Like this? Share it using the links below!