Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th May 2020, 08:59 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Yeah there’s still good stuff coming from Arrow....this weeks arrivals.....glad to see that Ginty chainsaw artwork.😎
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E99F926F-F35F-4506-8F10-970C6812D5D4.jpg (96.3 KB, 22 views)
File Type: jpg 0477830B-9891-4F67-B14E-6703E3E56DC8.jpg (97.1 KB, 15 views)

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 30th May 2020, 09:31 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
And most are realistically never going to get one. The problem is, with the best will in the world, these are going to be ultra-niche titles, and if brand new masters have to be created (and material tracked down in the first place) they're going to be unavoidably expensive to produce.

I've overseen plenty of projects where we knew from the start that they were probably going to lose money, but we went ahead anyway because we wanted to do it. And I'm hugely grateful to Arrow, Indicator or whoever for knowingly taking that risk - and am particularly thrilled when they get an unexpected hit out of something like, say, Hard to Be a God. Unexpected hits are always much more satisfying than longed-for ones!

Which is why any label worth its salt needs reliable cash cows that end up subsidising this stuff - licensing aside, I doubt something like The Wolf of Wall Street cost very much to produce as a perfectly good master should already exist for a 2013 film that's already had a BD release.

Sometimes these can be quite surprising - film buffs largely ignore the BFI's British Transport Films collections, but there's a reason why they've gone to fourteen double-disc volumes, multiple reissues and a best-of Blu-ray compilation. (In terms of still ongoing return on original investment, that catalogue was one of the best acquisitions the BFI ever made.)
Michael, its good to have you on here to bring us down to earth with the reality of the business side of things even if its not always what we want to hear. Its just frustrating that the only way we can get some stuff is through expensive imports.

Question: is it a feasible business strategy for a UK label to form a partnership with someone, like say, Vinegar Syndrome and make use of the transfers that they have already put the heavy lifting into? It would seem to me to be a sensible way to spread the risk?

Last edited by Rob4; 30th May 2020 at 10:34 PM.
Old 30th May 2020, 10:46 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Then there's the question of remastering a title. Does everything need to be spruced up to 2k standard?

Arrow released things like Midnight on dvd only why can't they and other companies do the same with equally obscure titles without the full bells and whistles treatment? People could at least make the choice of buying or not buying to get the film itself which is what a good proportion of us would like.

Vinegar Syndrome manage to release obscurities all the time as Rob mentioned.

Perhaps it's just because i was around when copies of so called nasties were doing the rounds with practically unwatchable prints. Todays kids don't know they've been born etc etc.
Old 30th May 2020, 10:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

As a further example Mill Creek released the Crown International catalogue on dvd and some on BD. I know the dvd's weren't restored but quite a lot of them still looked great on dvd. Would it be out of the question to bulk release obscure stuff like that?
Old 31st May 2020, 11:08 AM
Cultist on the Rampage

I have watched Pitch Black quite a few times since it was first released in cinemas, and I do like it but not enough to buy the new release. 12 Monkeys, The Game, etc, maybe Arrow are riding the wave of 90's nostalgia?

All good though, if they are successful!
Old 31st May 2020, 04:41 PM
Active Cultist

it's a case of different strokes for different folks. Personally i cannot remember the last time i enjoyed any of the obscure slashers that arrow have released. Quite frankly it seems like they've been forgotten for good reason.

I think for me i'm more interested in retrospective features on cult movies or movies released by mini majors (i was so over the moon when mgm started to license out their back library).

I mean of yesterdays line up, i'm getting pitch black and if i can get it cheap gamera collection.

I dont mind 90's titles, they're now 20 to 30 year old movies and like others i get tired of the same old rerere-releases by these companies and theres only so many movies from the 70's and 80's they can get hold of. For instance companies have already released all of Empires most well known films.

The problem with the 90's is that the most popular genre titles are with Lionsgate (trimark/live/artisan back libary) Warner Bros (new line), the new owners of Miramax and Sony. and it seems only Sony is the one willing to license out their titles to indie companies.
nicholasrope and Rob4 like this.
Old 31st May 2020, 06:44 PM
Cult Acolyte

I guess also when it comes to the commercial side, most people buy what they grew up with. Therefore as the population ages there will be less buyers of particularly 30s, 40s, 50s titles. I think they've only had the longevity they have had because people of my generation grew up watching them on TV. When was the last time you saw a B&W genre movie on one of the main channels? It stands to reason that the people with the most financial clout at the moment are those that grew up in the 90s and have a nostalgic connection to that decade.
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 31st May 2020, 06:58 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
I guess also when it comes to the commercial side, most people buy what they grew up with. Therefore as the population ages there will be less buyers of particularly 30s, 40s, 50s titles. I think they've only had the longevity they have had because people of my generation grew up watching them on TV. When was the last time you saw a B&W genre movie on one of the main channels? It stands to reason that the people with the most financial clout at the moment are those that grew up in the 90s and have a nostalgic connection to that decade.
There is definitely truth in what you say. If you want to watch old black and white films on TV these days your only options are Talking Pictures or Sony Movies Classic as far as I'm aware.

There is no doubt that we hold a nostalgic connection to the films that we experienced in our youth, but I have to say that I've opened my mind to films from many different eras and cultures since my teenage years.

It strikes me though that most casual viewers these days, even those who are much older than I am, tend to watch the rubbish that contemporary Hollywood releases; which I simply can't understand.
Old 31st May 2020, 09:28 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Distributers like Arrow, 88 Films, 101 Films, Shameless...etc are in a difficult situation, they need to release titles that they know that are likely to sell well as well as providing the obscure releases that us fans want.

I admit that ever since I got my Blu Ray Player, whenever announcements are being teased/announced, I get excited on whether a film I want is going to get released and when the announcements are for films that I've never heard off or not interested in, then there is disappointment.

I believe that we all have a list of films we individual want to see released in The UK without having to order from overseas and it is annoying that you see titles being announced by the international companies that you want but are not yet available in The UK. But I've realized that the films I want maybe are maybe going to be popular for a small majority and therefore not going to be profitable.

For example, a film I want is Gymkata but are the rights easy to get and/or how many people are likely to buy it?

Whilst some announcements are for films I've never heard off and believe me Arrow recently have done an incredible job of making me question my knowledge of the Video Rental releases of the 80's and early 90's because I hadn't heard of them and had to look up the Rental Covers to see if I actually recognize it, I do research into them and see if there are targets and I got White Fire, Blood Tide and Devil's Honey.

I do agree with the poster who said whether UK Companies should partner up with an international distributer.
Old 1st June 2020, 06:21 AM
Cultist

From the pioneers of ZFE, The Beyond and The Burning comes... Pitch Black! Arrow have certainly changed alot over the last 10 yrs. I always check this thread to see your opinions on new releases, but Pitch Black has tipped me over the edge and inspired me to post!

The problem arrow face is just competition. When they started they were the market leaders, now 10 other companies are in on the act. Worse still, companies often secure global distribution, cutting Arrow out. I recently bought Raw Force and Death Machines from Vinegar syndrome as I gave up hope of them ever getting an Arrow release. They are region A/B/C so presumably vinegar syndrome have worldwide distribution.

The result is that Arrow are becoming mainstream to try and stay afloat. Candyman, Waterworld, American Werewolf and Robocop are all mainstream offerings. This is not a problem in itself if it keeps them afloat. But their niche offerings are increasingly modern film festival pick ups which I have little interest in.

They still come up trumps from time to time (White Fire is surely their best in years), but this is becoming less frequent. I also wonder if they are obliged to release things that are substandard to secure other titles. Why all the Nico Mastorakis? You want Trapped Alive? Here have Chill Factor. Desperate for The Child? Well you have to take Hitchhike to Hell. This could all be baseless speculation, but i sense Arrow are being led less by what they want to put out these days, and more by whats about/ they have to put out.

I wouldnt buy Pitch Black. But I would buy Gymkata.
g053584398, nosferatu42 and Rob4 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!