I'm thinking The Player.
Old 18th June 2020, 01:32 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
I'm thinking The Player.
If it was Arrow rather than Academy i'd be hoping for 8mm. Love that film.
Old 18th June 2020, 01:53 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
I keep meaning to re-watch that after your recent review, I brought it out of the DVD folder!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 18th June 2020, 06:00 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
YEAH!
The SF disc is cracking!
Graeme73 likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 19th June 2020, 05:05 PM
Cult Master

ARROW ACADEMY

NEW UK: George Méliès' A Trip to the Moon & Autobiography (Arrow Website Exclusive)

Release date: September 21

Presented here in both black and white and its original colours, A Trip to the Moon can now be fully celebrated in this deluxe package

"Georges Méliès was not just a pioneer of early cinema, he was central to what we know as film today. An illustrator, magician, filmmaker, and inventor he paved the way for animation and multi-media filmmaking.

Of all of Méliès films, his boldest and most well known is certainly A Trip to the Moon (Le Voyage dans la Lune), loosely based on the writings of Jules Verne. A Trip to the Moon follows a group of travellers who jet off to the moon from earth on an exploration mission only to end up in peril and captured by the the local inhabitants, the Selenites. Featuring a who’s who of theatrical cast from the era, with Méliès himself taking a lead role, this is one of the very first forays into sci-fi cinema, and spawned one of the most iconic images of cinema – the man in the moon with a rocket in his eye.

Presented here in both black and white and its original colours, and supplemented by Serge Bromberg and Eric Lange’s phenomenal documentary, An Extraordinary Voyage, along with Méliès’ unpublished autobiography, A Trip to the Moon can now be fully celebrated in this deluxe package."

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS

Limited Edition of 1,000 copies
Deluxe limited edition packaging featuring newly commissioned artwork
214-page hardback casebound book of George Méliès’ autobiography, previously unpublished in English

BLU-RAY
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
  • Original uncompressed Stereo 2.0 and 5.1 surround audio
  • Optional English subtitles
  • Multiple scores by world renowned composers
  • The Innovations of Georges Méliès - new video essay by Jon Spira exploring A Trip to the Moon and Méliès’ career
  • An Extraordinary Voyage - Serge Bromberg and Eric Lange’s 2011 documentary on the film, its rediscovery and preservation for future generations, featuring interviews with Costa Gavras, Michel Gondry, Michel Hazanavicius, and Jean-Pierre Jeunet
  • La grand Méliès (1952) - a short film directed by Georges Franju about the life and work of Méliès
  • 2020 re-release trailer

BOOK
  • The Long-Lost Autobiography of Georges Méliès: Father of Sci-Fi and Fantasy Cinema - Available for the first time since 1961, finally translated into English by Ian Nixon, with annotations and supporting material by Jon Spira, Méliès filmography, illustrations by Lucy Collin, interviews with filmmaker Serge Bromberg, silent film expert Bryony Dixon, and filmmaker Michel Gondry

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 19th June 2020, 05:10 PM
Cult Master

ARROW ACADEMY

NEW UK/US/CA TITLE: Cinema Paradiso (4K UHD)

Release date: September 28

The original award-winning theatrical version of Tornatore’s classic is presented here for the first time on 4K Ultra-HD Blu-ray.

"A CELEBRATION OF YOUTH, FRIENDSHIP, AND THE EVERLASTING MAGIC OF THE MOVIES

A winner of awards across the world including Best Foreign Language Film Oscar, 5 BAFTA Awards including Best Actor, Original Screenplay and Score, the Grand Prize of the Jury at the Cannes Film Festival and many more.

Giuseppe Tornatore’s loving homage to the cinema tells the story of Salvatore, a successful film director, returning home for the funeral of Alfredo, his old friend who was the projectionist at the local cinema throughout his childhood. Soon memories of his first love affair with the beautiful Elena and all the highs and lows that shaped his life come flooding back, as Salvatore reconnects with the community he left 30 years earlier.

The original award-winning theatrical version of Tornatore’s classic is presented here for the first time on 4K Ultra-HD Blu-ray. This edition also includes the expanded Director’s Cut, which delves deeper into Salvatore’s backstory [Blu-ray]."

LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
  • 4K (2160p) UHD Blu-ray presentation in Dolby Vision (HDR10 compatible) of the 124 minute theatrical version
  • High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation of the 174 minute Director’s Cut
  • Uncompressed original stereo 2.0 Audio and 5.1 surround sound options
  • Optional English subtitles
  • Audio commentary with director Giuseppe Tornatore and Italian cinema expert critic Millicent Marcus
  • A Dream of Sicily – A 52-minute documentary profile of Giuseppe Tornatore featuring interviews with the director and extracts from his early home movies as well as interviews with director Francesco Rosi and painter Peppino Ducato, set to music by the legendary Ennio Morricone
  • A Bear and a Mouse in Paradise – A 27-minute documentary on the making of Cinema Paradiso and the characters of Toto and Alfredo, featuring interviews the actors who play them, Philippe Noiret and Salvatore Cascio as well as Tornatore
  • The Kissing Sequence – Giuseppe Tornatore discusses the origins of the kissing scenes with clips identifying each scene
  • Original Director’s Cut Theatrical Trailer and 25th Anniversary Re-Release Trailer

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 19th June 2020, 05:24 PM
Cult Veteran

I'm interested in the Méliès but not this deluxe expensive version, I'll wait for the non-boxset edition.

I knew it about Paradiso, I don't see that being a big seller though and the normal DVD and BD editions have been released about 4 times already by Arrow.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 19th June 2020, 06:48 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

£40 for a 12 minute film? nah, I can watch the film for free on youtube. I appreciate you get a 200+ page hard bound book but it's still too higher price for something like that. I support Arrow and Arrow Academy but not at those crazy prices.

Also how many times have they released Cinema Paradiso now?
Old 19th June 2020, 09:42 PM
Active Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
4K UHD of Cinema Paradiso.

I love Cinema Paradiso, but now is 4K in a few years is 10K and so on..

Like this? Share it using the links below!