Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 2nd August 2020, 02:07 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

On a personal level I'm really pleased that Arrow continue to release older Japanese films on Blu-ray. I hope that we'll see even more Japanese films from the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.

I would love to see them releasing more Pinky Violence films, more films starring Sonny Chiba, films starring Hiroyuki Sanada and films starring Etsuko Shihomi.
Old 2nd August 2020, 02:14 PM
Cult Veteran
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by g053584398 View Post
On a personal level I'm really pleased that Arrow continue to release older Japanese films on Blu-ray. I hope that we'll see even more Japanese films from the 1960s, 1970s and 1980s.

I would love to see them releasing more Pinky Violence films, more films starring Sonny Chiba, films starring Hiroyuki Sanada and films starring Etsuko Shihomi.
I don’t, I stopped buying stuff from 88Films when it seemed that’s all they were releasing

Each to their own and all that, but I have zero interest in that type of stuff, give me shitty slasher and zombie films any day of the week
J Harker and MuckyFunster like this.
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!
Old 2nd August 2020, 02:46 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
I don’t, I stopped buying stuff from 88Films when it seemed that’s all they were releasing

Each to their own and all that, but I have zero interest in that type of stuff, give me shitty slasher and zombie films any day of the week
Good luck to you son! Thank God we all have different tastes. Having said that, I am a fan of slasher films and I think I've bought every single one that 88 and Arrow have released. It is a shame that things like April Fool's Day and My Bloody Valentine don't get picked up for the UK.
it'smebilly likes this.

Last edited by g053584398; 2nd August 2020 at 03:45 PM.
Old 2nd August 2020, 03:33 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashforcash View Post
Well I think this will go one of two ways for Arrow.

1. Within 10 yrs Arrow will become the only physical media label with all new releases coming out as arrow editions. I'm sure HMV wont survive Covid, but in my local branch the arrow section is already as big as all the other blu ray sections combined.

Or 2. Obscure titles, recent mainstream releases and indy pickups sees fans alienated, sales plummeting and the label folds.

Which will it be? It's going to be kind of like Highlander-there can be only one. 88,101,indicator etc are all going to have to metaphorically chop each others heads off until there can be only one.

What do you think? Or have I gone mad?
Only the labels know how many buyers are left in the market and what the balance sheet is and their projections for the future. I doubt the collector market will suddenly implode but it might be a long slow lingering death rattle. Whilst overall sales of physical media are down I think the collector market has probably grown over the last few years but I doubt the growth is sustainable. I think we have at least another 5 years, possibly 10. By that time I think I'll have enough to keep me happy till my deathbed
nosferatu42 likes this.
Old 2nd August 2020, 04:57 PM
Cultist

I reckon 5-10 years as well.

On a side note, what do you all make of the Arrow Video podcast? I dont want to upset anyone, but let's just say I like 50% of the presenters!
Old 2nd August 2020, 06:50 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
On a side note, what do you all make of the Arrow Video podcast? I dont want to upset anyone, but let's just say I like 50% of the presenters!
I like them both, which one don't you like

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 2nd August 2020, 07:23 PM
Cult Addict

Eureka, 88, 101 films, Powerhouse to some degree, Second Sight and a few others have started releasing the stuff Arrow used to release (and got them where they are) and what many of us still want. The only label not releasing these titles is actually Arrow themselves. Can anyone else remember them telling us to stick with the less than exciting releases because it helps them fund the releases we reallt want? Problem is they didn't seem to know what it was their fans wanted.
Graeme73 likes this.
Old 2nd August 2020, 07:29 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
I reckon 5-10 years as well.

i don't listen to it. not enough time in the day.
Old 2nd August 2020, 08:00 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
There's an Arrow Video podcast?
Old 2nd August 2020, 08:03 PM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

I only listen to the episodes about films I’ve seen to stop spoilers, but I quite like the pair of them
If I'm curt with you it's because time is a factor. I think fast, I talk fast and I need you guys to act fast if you wanna get out of this. So, pretty please... with sugar on top. Clean the ****ing car!

Like this? Share it using the links below!