LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th August 2020, 10:15 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Kermode used to be a laugh, but his heads up his arse now. Plus he hated Blue Velvet at the time, trying to be all PC and that. PASS. This has nothing at all to do with his contrarian review of Twilight btw
Everything I've read and heard was about how the film made Mark Kermode so uncomfortable that he walked out and wrote a scathing review. He later changed his mind.

Roger Ebert didn't like Blue Velvet either, writing the following in his one star review:

"Blue Velvet contains scenes of such raw emotional energy that it's easy to understand why some critics have hailed it as a masterpiece. A film this painful and wounding has to be given special consideration. And yet those very scenes of stark sexual despair are the tipoff to what's wrong with the movie. They're so strong that they deserve to be in a movie that is sincere, honest and true. But Blue Velvet surrounds them with a story that's marred by sophomoric satire and cheap shots. The director is either denying the strength of his material or trying to defuse it by pretending it's all part of a campy in-joke."
Old 1st September 2020, 08:34 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rik View Post
Same, also one that can talk about other films besides the Exorcist

Started reading his first book a few years ago and couldn’t make it past the first chapter because he pissed me off so much, back to the library it went
I bought it too.
Came in handy earlier this year when the supermarket shelves were empty of certain products.....
Rik likes this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 1st September 2020, 08:37 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demoncrat View Post
Kermode used to be a laugh, but his heads up his arse now. Plus he hated Blue Velvet at the time, trying to be all PC and that. PASS. This has nothing at all to do with his contrarian review of Twilight btw
Last decent things he did were THE DEVILS doc and that Summerisle film doc....what's it called again?
Rik and Demoncrat like this.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 1st September 2020, 08:40 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Last decent things he did were THE DEVILS doc and that Summerisle film doc....what's it called again?

He’s a total div. I cannot bear him - before I deleted my Twitter account I used to have a morbid curiosity about his and would often check in - he spent most of his time complaining about train and taxi services - he’s such a miserable so and so.
Old 2nd September 2020, 08:27 PM
Cult Acolyte

Not sure if this was posted and I missed it but it looks like Arrow will be issuing a standard version of their Herschell Gordon Lewis set in October.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Herschell-G...d%2C155&sr=1-4
Old 2nd September 2020, 09:19 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
Not sure if this was posted and I missed it but it looks like Arrow will be issuing a standard version of their Herschell Gordon Lewis set in October.

I highly recommend this if you all don't already have the original set - fantastic movies

I believe that there is a similar re-packaged set for Gamera coming soon too as the recent one sold out pretty much instantly, but as it would take too long to get all of the special edition bits and bobs reprinted they're going to do a set with 'just the films'. I'll probably pick that up when it's out.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 3rd September 2020, 03:03 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post

I believe that there is a similar re-packaged set for Gamera coming soon too as the recent one sold out pretty much instantly, but as it would take too long to get all of the special edition bits and bobs reprinted they're going to do a set with 'just the films'. I'll probably pick that up when it's out.
I hope this is true because I held off buying this because of the packaging. When you say 'just the films' Justin do you mean the films and the on-disc extras? It doesn't seem like it would make sense to repress the discs to release films only.
Old 3rd September 2020, 03:28 PM
Cult Veteran

Quote:
I hope this is true because I held off buying this because of the packaging. When you say 'just the films' Justin do you mean the films and the on-disc extras? It doesn't seem like it would make sense to repress the discs to release films only.
Yes, I just meant 'not the tat' really
Rob4 likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 3rd September 2020, 04:19 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
The discs will all be the exact same, it’ll just be without tat.

HG Lewis on the other hand will miss the 1:33:1 alternate ratio discs I imagine
nosferatu42 and Rob4 like this.

Fuzzy's Sale/Trade Thread! - Blu, DVD, Boxsets (TV/Movie), Anime, Manga
Old 3rd September 2020, 08:00 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:

I'm keeping the Gamera set but tempted by the lewis set if re-releases are amaray

Like this? Share it using the links below!