Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree26042Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 30th July 2021, 02:42 PM
Cult Acolyte

Indicator, Eureka and Arrow have all declined to do a horror release in October. I'll laugh my tits off if they have all moved them to November to avoid competition...

There must be brass in these re-releases for Arrow, or else, why do it
Old 30th July 2021, 02:51 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The main thing is that Deep Red isn't a film with picture and sound that would really benefit from everything 4K has to offer.

If it was next year and they were releasing the 45th anniversary edition of Suspiria with HDR and a Dolby Atmos soundtrack, that would be very different – Suspiria has eye-popping visuals and an all-encompassing soundtrack and I can imagine a sizeable step up from Blu-ray to 4K Ultra HD.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 30th July 2021, 04:45 PM
Cultist

I'm not sure about 4k as a whole concept. I bought Tremors 4k and the Studio Canal John Carpenter 4ks but I really cant see much difference between 4k and blu ray, other than costing twice as much. DVD to Blu is a massive difference, but Blu to 4k? I'd love to know your thoughts. I expect it will be the last physical media format anyway.

Tremors was was on a decent 4k tv as well... had to replace it last December after my 10 yr old tv blew up...
Old 30th July 2021, 04:54 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashforcash View Post
I'm not sure about 4k as a whole concept. I bought Tremors 4k and the Studio Canal John Carpenter 4ks but I really cant see much difference between 4k and blu ray, other than costing twice as much. DVD to Blu is a massive difference, but Blu to 4k? I'd love to know your thoughts. I expect it will be the last physical media format anyway.

Tremors was was on a decent 4k tv as well... had to replace it last December after my 10 yr old tv blew up...
A mate of mine with a 65" Oled screen says there's not that much difference between Blu-ray and 4K. He's not some clown saying it either. He'll have forgotten more about tech in the last five minutes than i've ever known.

He does keep prodding me about an Atmos surround set up though so perhaps the sound on 4K is the selling point more so than the picture.
g053584398 likes this.
Old 30th July 2021, 07:47 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trashforcash View Post

I think it depends on the film. The Blade Runner 4K Ultra HD disc is noticeably more detailed, textured, and with more vibrant colours and deeper blacks.

I watched some of the Guardians of the Galaxy 4K disc (the 'space chase' sequence) when I first had my player then switched to the Blu-ray and couldn't believe how dull it looked in comparison. Gladiator looks and sounds amazing, there are plenty of other discs – 2001: A Space Odyssey, Saving Private Ryan, Deadpool, Fury, Everest, Apocalypse Now, Dawn of the Dead – where the picture quality has really impressed me.
Old 31st July 2021, 09:22 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Some of these prices are ridiculous.

£40 for Deep Red on 4K and sixty quid for three gialli you could have picked up for £24 just last weekend.
Taking a leaf from Vinegar Syndrome’s book with the giallo boxsets.....

Only thing is.....who’s going to pay fifty quid for a fancy outer box when they already own these films?

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 31st July 2021, 09:32 AM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu@Cult Labs View Post
The main thing is that Deep Red isn't a film with picture and sound that would really benefit from everything 4K has to offer.

If it was next year and they were releasing the 45th anniversary edition of Suspiria with HDR and a Dolby Atmos soundtrack, that would be very different – Suspiria has eye-popping visuals and an all-encompassing soundtrack and I can imagine a sizeable step up from Blu-ray to 4K Ultra HD.
Disagree Nos.

DEEP RED will look fantastic in 4K.

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 31st July 2021, 12:47 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs View Post
Disagree Nos.

DEEP RED will look fantastic in 4K.
It should look better, there's no doubt about that. Although Deep Red Is stylishly shot, there's a lot of the film which is dark and/or grey so, unlike Suspiria. It's not drenched in colour and with a pounding soundtrack that would benefit from the object based Dolby Atmos/DTS-X treatment.

I'd possibly pay £40 to watch Suspiria in 4K with HDR – I'm not going to pay £40 for a 4K Ultra HD release of Deep Red.

Graeme73 likes this.
Old 31st July 2021, 01:18 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Michael Mackenzie showed a picture comparison on Facebook for Deep Red. One shot is the current blu-ray, the other the new 4K restoration. I see a noticeable improvement so I'll happily pick this one up. btw The Synapse Suspiria 4K UHD looks great, well worth importing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deep red blu-ray.jpg (95.5 KB, 26 views)
File Type: jpg deep red 4k.jpg (68.1 KB, 25 views)
Old 31st July 2021, 01:24 PM
Cult Veteran

I second that about the Suspiria 4k from synapse, I bought it via Amazon and it cost me around £35. Looks and sounds great.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!