Like Tree26050Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 22nd March 2023, 11:24 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
I adored The Lighthouse. Seeing it in a huge, virtually empty cinema (I suspect they miscalculated Robert Pattinson's appeal) was one of my absolute cinemagoing high points of the last few years.

And The Northman was a pleasant surprise given that I expected it to be a fair bit more creatively compromised given the budget - not as gloriously howling-at-the-moon as The Lighthouse, but closer to that than I'd dared hope.
Did you like The Witch, Michael?

Personally it's the best horror film i've seen in the last ten years. Maybe i should block thoughts of Eggers debut from my mind when going into subsequent films of his.
MuckyFunster likes this.
Old 22nd March 2023, 01:28 PM
Cult Acolyte

I've liked all of Eggers' films so far and I don't think I can say that about any other director working in horror at the moment.
Old 22nd March 2023, 01:32 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post

Personally it's the best horror film i've seen in the last ten years. Maybe i should block thoughts of Eggers debut from my mind when going into subsequent films of his.
I need to give it a second look - first time round I was very impressed with parts of it while being massively distracted by the fact that I recognised the lead actor immediately but couldn't quite place him, and then clocked that he was Finchy from The Office about halfway through, at which point it became even more distracting. It's also the only Eggers film that I haven't seen on the big screen, which I suspect didn't help either.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 22nd March 2023, 01:50 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
I've liked all of Eggers' films so far and I don't think I can say that about any other director working in horror at the moment.
I've really enjoyed all Ti West's films. From The Roost (2005) to X (2022)

Eggars is certainly the most interesting film maker helped by the fact that he works outside the studio system.

Only Aronofski's Black Swan (2010) and the Suspiria remake have come close to doing something as interesting. Perhaps Rose Glass' Saint Maud too.

Don't get me wrong there have been a lot of very good horror movies since 2010 but nothing comes remotely close to The Witch for me.
Old 22nd March 2023, 02:43 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
I've really enjoyed all Ti West's films. From The Roost (2005) to X (2022)

Eggars is certainly the most interesting film maker helped by the fact that he works outside the studio system.

Only Aronofski's Black Swan (2010) and the Suspiria remake have come close to doing something as interesting. Perhaps Rose Glass' Saint Maud too.

Don't get me wrong there have been a lot of very good horror movies since 2010 but nothing comes remotely close to The Witch for me.
I have been meaning to watch X for awhile now.
Old 23rd March 2023, 04:57 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs View Post
Looks like Arrow are putting out a 4K Bruce Lee boxset next year.

Attachment 243377
'Way Of The Dragon' has been announced:

"***NEW TITLE ANNOUNCEMENT***

Coming to 4K UHD this Summer from Arrow Video

The Way of the Dragon (1972) 4K UHD

“Forbidden Worlds Film Festival is proud to be premiering the new 4K restoration of The Way of the Dragon from Arrow Video, ahead of its release on Blu-ray and 4K UHD release this summer.

The Way of the Dragon has been exclusively restored in 4K from the best existing film elements by Arrow Films and is presented in its original aspect ratio of 2.35:1.”"

Attached Images
File Type: jpg The Way Of The Dragon.jpg (96.1 KB, 64 views)
ramses and MrBarlow like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 23rd March 2023, 09:40 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post

Julien Maury and Alexandre Bustillo are a pair of directors who have never let me down either.

Inside, Livide, Among the Living... cracking films one and all. I must check out their latest The Deep House soon.
Old 24th March 2023, 05:49 AM
Cult Veteran
Good Trader

Quote:

I found the witch very good, I tend to find a lot of ppl have no patience for slow films now, to me slowness aside it had tension, atmosphere, decent story, well made etc, (and tried their best in the way they spoke to give it authentic feel of how they would have spoke in them days) something a lot of films these days tend to lack, I’m finding quite a few slow films better than vast majority of films at the moment, eg the lighthouse.
MrBarlow likes this.
Old 24th March 2023, 06:09 PM
Cultist

when are arrow going to announce their next releases i thought it's meant to be the the last week of every month or have they changed it
Old 24th March 2023, 06:11 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter alex View Post
when are arrow going to announce their next releases i thought it's meant to be the the last week of every month or have they changed it
Next week is the last week of the month, surely? Next Friday is March 31st.
Susan Foreman and Rob4 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!