Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The NUCLEUS FILMS thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/8226-nucleus-films-thread.html)

Marc Morris 7th November 2012 11:48 AM

Two forthcoming releases: NUC00016 is PLAYGIRLS AND THE VAMPIRE, NUC00018 is GRINDHOUSE TRAILER CLASSICS 4.

The yellow cover background was picked randomly by Graham Humphreys as working best with the cover image, it has nothing to do with Shameless' cover designs at all.

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th November 2012 12:01 PM

Look forward to Playgirls and the Vampire.

Great news.

R-T-C Tim 7th November 2012 08:12 PM

Top news, the trailer reel are always fun and Playgirls certainly looks interesting.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th November 2012 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Morris (Post 290474)
Two forthcoming releases: NUC00016 is PLAYGIRLS AND THE VAMPIRE, NUC00018 is GRINDHOUSE TRAILER CLASSICS 4.

The yellow cover background was picked randomly by Graham Humphreys as working best with the cover image, it has nothing to do with Shameless' cover designs at all.

And a fine piece of art it is.

Yeah,I used to own PATV on Euroshock,a Nucleus release will be nice!

Did Nucleus ever pursue a UK release of MS.45?

I remember a rumour a couple of years ago.....

Daemonia 8th November 2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Morris (Post 290474)

I don't think anyone was seriously suggesting it was - just that the cover bears a striking similarity to Shameless releases. I must admit, I had to look twice too. :)

Wes 8th November 2012 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 290765)
I don't think anyone was seriously suggesting it was - just that the cover bears a striking similarity to Shameless releases. I must admit, I had to look twice too. :)

I absolutely thought Apes was a Shameless release until I read a review...

cloud 8th November 2012 08:05 PM

I've been buying a few Nucleus discs of late. I grabbed Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things & Deathdream, Ghost Story and Grindhouse Trailer Classics 3 recently.

As for NOTBA, I am happy with my Something Weird release so don't feel any need to buy it again because as fun as it is, it's not the kind of film I would double dip on.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th November 2012 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cloud (Post 290847)
I've been buying a few Nucleus discs of late. I grabbed Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things & Deathdream,

Yet to see that in any HMV yet....nice transfers?

cloud 8th November 2012 08:46 PM

I've not had chance to watch them yet, but the screenshots on DVD Beaver looked nice. I had to upgrade on CSPWDT because the VCI release had a horrible transfer, it looked like a worn out VHS.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th November 2012 09:07 PM

I've still got the ABUK and BU discs of both films.

Daemonia 9th November 2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 290875)
I've still got the ABUK and BU discs of both films.

The ABUK release of CSPWTD was heavily edited for some reason. I think the release from Nucleus finally corrects that - I'd definitely advise getting the Nucleus release over any other.

fuzzymctiger 9th November 2012 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 290851)
Yet to see that in any HMV yet....nice transfers?

CSPWDT is the most complete version avalible, so the quality changes at times, but I thought it looked great upscaled.

DON is also the most complete version avalible, but only by 2 seconds. For me it had an annoying frozen grain layer over it, but over all it was ok.

Wes 9th November 2012 07:04 AM

I'm holding out for a Blu of CSPWDT... it would surely be the format's most formidable test.

ArgentoFan1987 9th November 2012 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 224495)
A good selection of their titles.....

Grindhouse Trailer Classics [2007] [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Film & TV

Grindhouse Trailer Classics 2 [2008] [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Grindhouse Trailer Classics: Film & TV

Grindhouse Trailer Classics 3 [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Film & TV

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Video-Nastie...f=pd_cp_d_h__2

Amazon.co.uk: Death Ship [1980] [DVD]: George Kennedy, Richard Crenna, Nick Mancuso, Sally Ann Howes, Kate Reid, Victoria Burgoyne, Jennifer McKinney, Danny Higham, Saul Rubinek, Murray Cruchley, Doug Smith, Tony Sherwood, Alvin Rakoff: Film & TV

Fausto 5.0 [2003] [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Miguel Angel Sola, Eduard Ferandez, Isidro Ortiz, Alex Olle, Carlos Padrissa: Film & TV

Gwendoline [1984] [DVD]: Amazon.co.uk: Tawny Kitaen, Zabou, Just Jaeckin: Film & TV

Amazon.co.uk: Cannibal Girls [DVD]: Eugene Levy, Andrea Martin, Ivan Reitman: Film & TV

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bloodbath-at...931099&sr=1-15

Ghost Story [DVD] [1974]: Amazon.co.uk: Penelope Keith, Marianne Faithfull, Barbara Shelley, Sally Grace, Murray Melvin, Larry Dann, Anthony Bate, Vivian Mackerall, Leigh Lawson, Stephen Weeks: Film & TV

Cruel Passion [DVD] [1977]: Amazon.co.uk: Koo Stark, Ann Michelle, Glory Annen, Chris Boger: Film & TV

I own that Video nasties DVD and it's one of the best DVD's I own

Wes 9th November 2012 08:27 AM

Grindhouse Vol. 3 was pretty terrible though (selection wise, not the disc itself) and is recommended only for the most committed Trash fan...

PaulD 9th November 2012 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 290962)
Grindhouse Vol. 3 was pretty terrible though (selection wise, not the disc itself) and is recommended only for the most committed Trash fan...

Yeah. I'm a bit of a sucker for these things but Volume 3 really tested my patience to be honest.

Vampix 9th November 2012 11:49 AM

I've got the Blue Underground DVD of Deathdream (aka Dead of Night), and I've been thinking of buying the Nucleus double-bill of CSPWDT & DON.I've never seen CSPWDT.Is it a better film than DON? Or is it better to just stick with my BU disc?

Wes 9th November 2012 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 291064)
I've got the Blue Underground DVD of Deathdream (aka Dead of Night), and I've been thinking of buying the Nucleus double-bill of CSPWDT & DON.I've never seen CSPWDT.Is it a better film than DON? Or is it better to just stick with my BU disc?

Even though I love it, Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things tends to polarize audiences - I'd say check out the trailer first...

Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things (1972) trailer - YouTube

Gojirosan 9th November 2012 01:16 PM

I'm a little disappointed to discover that Night Of The Bloody Apes has been matted to a shallow widescreen for 16:9 televisions and not been given a fullscreen release. Not even as an option.

Hmmm...an automatic purchase is now going to have to be weighed against other releases and PQ improvements balanced against cropping.

I'm sure it doesn't matter too much but I bet it was shot for and screened at 1.37:1 when first released.

Wes 9th November 2012 02:14 PM

The Something Weird release is still easy enough to locate, plus there's a second film with it and the usual treasure throve of SW extras. I dunno why the Nucleus edition is framed at 1.63 but I'd say it would matter little. I don't think it would be a dealbreaker for me...

demonknight 9th November 2012 02:23 PM

Stick with the BU release. CSPWDT is atrocious.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 9th November 2012 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daemonia (Post 290923)
The ABUK release of CSPWTD was heavily edited for some reason. I think the release from Nucleus finally corrects that - I'd definitely advise getting the Nucleus release over any other.

Yeah.Seem to remember some riots over at the old ABUK forum regarding that.:mob:

Gojirosan 9th November 2012 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 291095)
The Something Weird release is still easy enough to locate, plus there's a second film with it and the usual treasure throve of SW extras. I dunno why the Nucleus edition is framed at 1.63 but I'd say it would matter little. I don't think it would be a dealbreaker for me...

1.63?

Weird. Oh well!

Vampix 9th November 2012 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wes (Post 291080)
Even though I love it, Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things tends to polarize audiences - I'd say check out the trailer first...

Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things (1972) trailer - YouTube

Going by that trailer Deathdream does look the better of the two films.The parts featuring zombies look okay, the rest looks like badly acted garbage.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th November 2012 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 291297)
Going by that trailer Deathdream does look the better of the two films.The parts featuring zombies look okay, the rest looks like badly acted garbage.

It is. :nod:

fuzzymctiger 9th November 2012 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vampix (Post 291297)

You could get away with only watching the last 30 minutes of the film, as that's the part with the zombies

it'smebilly 10th November 2012 12:08 AM

Deathdream is a fantastic little film. Never seen children shouldn't.........never really fancied it, looks more of a comedy to me. Not that there our anything wrong with horror and comedy but it's a tricky one to get right.

Sent from my Galaxy S 2 using Tapatalk 2

vipco 10th November 2012 01:46 PM

I got Grindhouse Trailers Vol 1 and 3 for 3 quid each new. Bargain.

Marc Morris 12th November 2012 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 291089)
I'm a little disappointed to discover that Night Of The Bloody Apes has been matted to a shallow widescreen for 16:9 televisions and not been given a fullscreen release. Not even as an option.

Hmmm...an automatic purchase is now going to have to be weighed against other releases and PQ improvements balanced against cropping.

I'm sure it doesn't matter too much but I bet it was shot for and screened at 1.37:1 when first released.

Actually it looks really awkward open matte - there's simply way too much headroom. It would have definitely been shown either 1.66 or 1.85 in the States. I think the framing on our disc looks just about right. Previous reviews of the fullscreen version usually pointed this out:

DVD Talk: US BCI DVD review

Quote:

Though disappointingly presented full frame, the U.S. cut of Night of the Bloody Apes looks fantastic; the image is sharp, the color vivid and there's almost no damage and little wear. It's a shame this wasn't 16:9 formatted because with all the empty head-room cropped to 1.77:1 the framing looks perfect throughout.
When we mastered this up we felt that 1.77:1 was too severe, so we framed for roughly 1.66:1.

Wes 12th November 2012 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Morris (Post 291737)
When we mastered this up we felt that 1.77:1 was too severe, so we framed for roughly 1.66:1.

I think this is totally fine, I definitely would not get crazy about the framing for this particular movie...

Marc, just a general question - will we ever see a decent Blu-Ray of Children Shouldn't Play with Dead Things, or is the film too lo-fi to make a decent HD presentation of ? I absolutely think it's one of the best American Horror films of the 70's...

Marc Morris 12th November 2012 10:09 AM

Sadly there appears to be no decent film elements of the uncut CHILDREN. If the original uncut negative is ever located then it's a possibility but it hasn't been found yet. The American disc is mastered from a poor quality 16mm dupe print. Ours came from a nice and clear European 35mm pint, with the missing scenes inserted from the murky 16mm print.

Wes 12th November 2012 10:15 AM

Many thanks Marc, much appreciated ! I may pump for the Nucleus disc as I have the old, old VCI disc which at the time Amazon were advising customers to watch in a "darkened room"...

Marc Morris 12th November 2012 10:22 AM

I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you see our version. It looks way better than both American VCI DVD releases.

Wes 12th November 2012 10:48 AM

I think I'm sold on the Nucleus, many thanks ! Marc, might we see a definitive version of Deranged someday ? The US disc is still in print but I think the film is are far more deserving that a double-feature with Motel Hell. There was a slightly longer German DVD a few years back but I think it's well out of print. It's a magnificent film...

Marc Morris 12th November 2012 10:59 AM

MGM still own DERANGED and we can't afford to pay their prices.

Wes 12th November 2012 11:07 AM

Of course, I forgot about MGM... I worry that more and more of the so-called marginal catalogue titles of Warners and MGM will get consigned to the burn-on-demand scrapheap (I say scrapheap because I hear only complaints about these discs). I'm hoping we'll see pressed DVD releases in the UK for The Green Slime and a favourite of mine, Carny but I'm not so sure...

Daemonia 12th November 2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Morris (Post 291750)
I think you'll be pleasantly surprised when you see our version. It looks way better than both American VCI DVD releases.

Yeah, the VCI discs leave a lot to be desired. Very murky indeed.

Gojirosan 12th November 2012 12:19 PM

I thought my VCI version of CSPWDT looked pretty good considering. I don't think I can financially justify upgrading it, sadly.

demonknight 12th November 2012 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marc Morris (Post 291755)
MGM still own DERANGED and we can't afford to pay their prices.

Disappointing regarding Deranged but what about The Video Dead?

Marc Morris 12th November 2012 02:15 PM

It's another MGM title. I'd go for the newly announced Scream Factory release if I were you.

http://www.shoutfactory.com/?q=screamfactory