Like Tree1406Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th July 2022, 01:43 PM
Cultist on the Rampage
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
Craze (1974)

Jack Palance plays antique dealer Neal Mottram who sacrifices women to the statue of African god Chuku in the belief that it will help his ailing finances.

Freddie Francis' horror thriller was something completely new to me the first time i saw it. I had heard the title but knew nothing about the film or if it was any good. Last night was my third viewing and i utterly love it. It drives along at a near break neck pace from the opening sacrifice during the first few minutes to the final showdown with the police.

Palance often seems an actor who balances on the crazy tightrope and he excels here as the batshit bonkers Mottram laughing and gurgling all the way to the bank. The film whilst not OTT horror is very gory in a couple of places with bloody fx work that wouldn't seem out of place in a Fulci film. As well as Palance the film has a cast to die for, in fact i've no idea how a film that's purely exploitation such as this can bring together the likes of Michael Jayston, Diana Dors, Julie Ege, Trevor Howard, Suzy Kendall, David Warbeck and Martin Potter. So no matter what your thoughts on Craze poor acting cannot be leveled at it as the cast relish the script stuffed with one liners such as Jayston's scathing put down of Dors. “One would have to be pretty desperate to sail into that port”

Craze is one of the unheralded British horrors of the seventies and deserves a lot more attention than it currently gets.
I've had the DVD for years, but I still haven't got around to watching it!
Old 19th July 2022, 03:50 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Craze (1974)

Jack Palance plays antique dealer Neal Mottram who sacrifices women to the statue of African god Chuku in the belief that it will help his ailing finances.

Freddie Francis' horror thriller was something completely new to me the first time i saw it. I had heard the title but knew nothing about the film or if it was any good. Last night was my third viewing and i utterly love it. It drives along at a near break neck pace from the opening sacrifice during the first few minutes to the final showdown with the police.

Palance often seems an actor who balances on the crazy tightrope and he excels here as the batshit bonkers Mottram laughing and gurgling all the way to the bank. The film whilst not OTT horror is very gory in a couple of places with bloody fx work that wouldn't seem out of place in a Fulci film. As well as Palance the film has a cast to die for, in fact i've no idea how a film that's purely exploitation such as this can bring together the likes of Michael Jayston, Diana Dors, Julie Ege, Trevor Howard, Suzy Kendall, David Warbeck and Martin Potter. So no matter what your thoughts on Craze poor acting cannot be leveled at it as the cast relish the script stuffed with one liners such as Jayston's scathing put down of Dors. “One would have to be pretty desperate to sail into that port”

Craze is one of the unheralded British horrors of the seventies and deserves a lot more attention than it currently gets.
Blu? When?
Old 19th July 2022, 03:51 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
Blu? When?
No, dvd.
Old 19th July 2022, 07:27 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Time for a bd release Mr Morris!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 19th July 2022, 07:28 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by g053584398 View Post
I've had the DVD for years, but I still haven't got around to watching it!
You're missing a treat g0!

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 16th September 2022, 10:55 AM
Cult Acolyte

Marc Morris confirmed on Blurage that Nucleus will be releasing Dark Places with Chris Lee.

One of the few CL's I haven't seen and will save on importing the expensive boxset
Old 16th September 2022, 10:56 AM
Cult Veteran

Christopher Lee's 'Dark Places' will be coming to Nucleus Films Which I believe was the standout film from the 2nd Severin box set. Marc Morris has confirmed they're working on new extras

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=93
g053584398 likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 16th September 2022, 02:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin101 View Post
Christopher Lee's 'Dark Places' will be coming to Nucleus Films Which I believe was the standout film from the 2nd Severin box set. Marc Morris has confirmed they're working on new extras

https://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.p...8&postcount=93
We must have been reading the same post and thinking the same thing at pretty much the same time
Justin101 likes this.
Old 16th September 2022, 04:34 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
Marc Morris confirmed on Blurage that Nucleus will be releasing Dark Places with Chris Lee.

One of the few CL's I haven't seen and will save on importing the expensive boxset
Yeah well, he confirmed it here on Cult Labs to me back in July.

Quote:
In the latest Dark Side it says you have released the 1973 film Dark Places. Is this correct or has Allan let slip a forthcoming release?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc Morris View Post
It's a future release.
Justin101 and Rob4 like this.
Old 18th September 2022, 12:57 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Well worth a watch.Joan Collins is her usual charming bitch!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!