Old 25th January 2023, 12:42 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
Eureka teased today:

House of Horrors (1946) - Rondo Hatton
Horror Island (1941)
Night Monster (1942)

Probably will be their latest Universal set.
Ayup, Eureka have now teased Murders in the Zoo so perhaps this is a 4 film set?

If so, that puts pay to my ambitions for an Atwill set
Old 25th January 2023, 08:25 AM
Cult Addict

Fairplay to Eureka for getting all these old Universal flicks out. I need to catch up.
I only have The Inner Sanctum set with Lon Chaney Jr and the Lugosi set of Poe films.

Last edited by J Harker; 25th January 2023 at 11:07 AM.
Old 25th January 2023, 11:20 AM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Fairplay to Eureka for getting all these old Universal flicks out. I need to catch up.
I only have The Inner Sanctum set with Lon Chaney Jr and the Lugosi set of Poe films.
What's the Chaney set like? I've not seen any of them.
Old 25th January 2023, 12:42 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
What's the Chaney set like? I've not seen any of them.
I've only watched the first two, Calling Dr.Death and Weird Woman. They were enjoyable enough, only around an hour in length. Chaney is no Karloff let's be jonest though and there's a weird voice over plot device that I found a little off putting personally. I watched the first two close together, consecutive nights I think and it didn't help them as they're quite stagey and sort of blurred together.
As ever with Eureka though it's a an excellently presented set.
nosferatu42 and Rob4 like this.
Old 25th January 2023, 12:58 PM
Cult Acolyte

Yeah, I've seen them all and they are all stagey. I think they are based on radio plays? Your enjoyment of them is probably going to be influenced by your tolerance for 1940s B-pictures limited to 3-4 sets and Chaney's acting style.

I used them as warm-ups to whatever I was watching as the main event and viewed like that I think they work quite well.
Demoncrat and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 26th January 2023, 04:03 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Confirmed, Rob.

Creeping Horror (Blu-ray)

Director: Various, 1933-1946, USA

£26.99
Release Date: 17th April 2023

SYNOPSIS

Four more tales of terror from the vaults of Universal Pictures, starring Lionel Atwill, Bela Lugosi, and Rondo Hatton.

A maniacal hunter and collector of wild animals uses them to dispose of rivals and enemies in the shockingly violent Murders in the Zoo (dir. A. Edward Sutherland, 1933). Bela Lugosi stars in a creepy tale of strange characters, secret passages and a murderer who masters the art of “mind over matter” in Night Monster (dir. Ford Beebe, 1942).

What started out as a treasure-making scheme ends up deadly for a group of people stuck in a haunted castle with a killer known as “the Phantom” in Horror Island (dir. George Waggner, 1941). And finally Rondo Hatton is “the Creeper”, a giant of a man used as an instrument of evil by a mad sculptor in House of Horrors (dir. Jean Yarbrough, 1946).

SPECIAL FEATURES

Limited Edition slipcase [2000 copies]

1080p presentation of all four films across two Blu-ray discs

Optional English SDH

Brand new audio commentary tracks on Night Monster and House of Horrors with author Stephen Jones and author / critic Kim Newman

Brand new audio commentary tracks on Murders in the Zoo and Horror Island with Kevin Lyons and Jonathan Rigby

Stills Galleries

Trailers for Horror Island and Night Monster

A limited edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing by Craig Ian Mann and Jon Towlson [2000 copies]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EKA70490-CreepingHorror_OCard_website-pack-500px.jpg (86.8 KB, 5 views)
Old 26th January 2023, 04:04 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

There's also an Asian film called Bullet Train coming out but i'm not fussed about that so anyone who is interested can post the spec.
Old 26th January 2023, 07:21 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
There's also an Asian film called Bullet Train coming out but i'm not fussed about that so anyone who is interested can post the spec.
I've had Bullet Train for nearly twenty years but never watched it. It was included in one of those Sonny Chiba boxsets StudioCanal released around 2005.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 26th January 2023, 10:25 PM
Cult Veteran

I've just watched the trailer for The Bullet Train and it looks great, essentially the template for Speed, there is a bomb on the train which will explode if it drops below 80km/h and there are 1500 passengers onboard!

Also has a Kim Newman interview where he will probably talk about the bombs on moving vehicles genre or something, and be an expert on it

And it comes out on my birthday, so I'm going to get it for sure!
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Old 26th January 2023, 10:28 PM
Cult Veteran

Default The Bullet Train

The Bullet Train (Blu-ray)
Director: Junya Satō
Stars: Ken Takakura
1975 Japan
Action

Release Date: 24th April 2023

Ken Takakura stars as a mad bomber who plants a device on a high-speed Japanese train, programmed to detonate if the train’s speed drops below 80 kilometres per hour. The trains conductor (Sonny Chiba) must keep the train moving whilst the police track the madman down.

Most well-known for inspiring the 1994 Hollywood blockbuster Speed, The Bullet Train is a remarkably tense thriller from director Junya Satō, and Eureka Classics is proud to present it in this definitive edition for its UK debut on Blu-ray.

SPECIAL FEATURES
  • Limited Edition slipcase featuring new artwork by Tony Stella [2000 copies]
  • 1080p presentation on Blu-ray from a 2K restoration of the original film elements
  • Original Japanese theatrical version and alternate dubbed International version included
  • Optional English subtitles
  • Brand new audio commentary by Jasper Sharp and Tom Mes
  • Brand new interview with author / critic Kim Newman
  • Brand new interview with Tony Rayns
  • "Big Movie, Big Panic: Junya Sato on The Bullet Train" archival featurette
  • Trailers
  • A limited edition collectors booklet featuring a new essay by film writer Barry Forshaw [2000 copies]

Triumphant sight on a northern sky

Like this? Share it using the links below!