Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree1799Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23rd February 2023, 08:14 PM
Cult Master

'Hopping Mad: The Mr Vampire Sequels' - Blu-Ray pre-order available from Eureka Films direct - £31:99

Release date: May 22

"After the huge success of Mr Vampire, Hong Kong audiences were desperate for more vampire-hopping action and the films’ producers were more than happy to oblige. A steady stream of jiangshi content was produced over the following years, and presented here are 4 of these classic titles from stunning new restorations.

In Mr Vampire II (aka Vampire Family) an archaeologist and his students unwittingly set free a family of hopping vampires who wreak havoc in 1980s Hong Kong. Mr Vampire III returns to a period setting and sees Lam Ching-ying’s Taoist priest battle an evil witch (a brilliant performance by veteran actress Pauline Yuk-Wan Wong). Mr Vampire IV (aka Uncle Vampire) two feuding neighbours (a Taoist priest and a Buddhist monk) must join forces when their village is overrun by vampires. And finally in Vampire vs Vampire, Lam Ching-ying’s Taoist priest finds his jiangshi-fighting knowledge is of little help when he goes up against a European vampire.

Featuring a bevy of Hong Kong legends including Lam Ching-ying, Yuen Biao, Wu Ma, Richard Ng, Yuen Wah, and many more – this collection brings together four beloved films in definitive presentations in a very special edition. Filled with screams and laughs, Eureka Classics is proud to present Hopping Mad: The Mr Vampire Sequels."

Special features:
  • Limited Edition O-Card slipcase featuring new artwork by Darren Wheeling [2000 copies]
  • Mr Vampire II and Mr Vampire III presented in 1080p HD from brand new 2K restorations
  • Mr Vampire IV and Vampire vs Vampire presented in 1080p HD from brand new HD restorations
  • Cantonese and English audio options on all films
  • Optional English Subtitles for all films, newly translated for this release
  • Brand new feature length audio commentaries on Mr Vampire II and Vampire vs Vampire by Asian film expert Frank Djeng (NY Asian Film Festival)
  • Brand new feature length audio commentaries on Mr Vampire III and Mr Vampire IV by action cinema experts Mike Leeder & Arne Venema
  • Brand new video piece on the history and resurgent popularity of the jiangshi genre
  • Reversible sleeve featuring original poster art
  • Trailers
  • A Limited Edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the films and the Jiangshi genre by James Oliver [2000 copies]
**All Extras Subject to Change

Justin101, Graveyard, Rob4 and 1 others like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 23rd February 2023, 08:50 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Brooke View Post
On the Silver Globe makes Possession seem halfway normal. The only film I can think of that's even vaguely in the same ballpark is Hard To Be A God.
Michael, as I understand it the movie was only 80% complete. How crucial is the missing 20%? I'd hate to get this and find that there was no ending except a narration or something?
Old 24th February 2023, 10:08 AM
Cult Master
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

I can be added to the list of people that didn't like Possession I have only seen it the once mind but after years of hearing nothing but praise for the film my expectations were high but I was left scratching my head as to why people seemed to rave about the film.
Rob4 likes this.
Old 24th February 2023, 10:25 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicdusk View Post
I can be added to the list of people that didn't like Possession I have only seen it the once mind but after years of hearing nothing but praise for the film my expectations were high but I was left scratching my head as to why people seemed to rave about the film.
Exactly what I thought.

Sent from my SM-G780G using Tapatalk
Old 24th February 2023, 10:34 AM
Cult Acolyte

Possession is the very definition of a Marmite movie. Personally, I love it, but I can certainly understand why others don't.
Nordicdusk and nosferatu42 like this.
Old 24th February 2023, 11:21 AM
Cult Addict

I've just watched Eurekas trailer for this set on YouTube and I do have to admit I'm intrigued. All three films look interesting.

Old 1st March 2023, 04:11 PM
Cult Addict

There's another bunch of titles going OOP soon at Eureka. They don't appear to be bothering to reduce them at all this time though.
The titles are
Sunrise
City Girl
NoveCento 1900
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Cockleshell Heroes
Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte
Journey to the Centre of the Earth
and
Night of the Generals

Old 1st March 2023, 05:02 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
There's another bunch of titles going OOP soon at Eureka. They don't appear to be bothering to reduce them at all this time though.
The titles are
Sunrise
City Girl
NoveCento 1900
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Cockleshell Heroes
Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte
Journey to the Centre of the Earth
and
Night of the Generals

Night of the Generals is a brilliant war time set drama. Superb cast, elements of Giallo abound and the print is gorgeous.

I might grab a copy of Cockleshell Heroes myself. It's a good war film. Plus it's a bit different when it comes to the genre.
Old 1st March 2023, 05:27 PM
Cult Addict

Journey to the Centre of the Earth is the only one I'd particularly like. I'm interested in Night of the Generals but not fully sold.
Both titles are much cheaper from Amazon so if I do I'll be getting them there.
Old 4th March 2023, 12:39 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
Journey to the Centre of the Earth is the only one I'd particularly like. I'm interested in Night of the Generals but not fully sold.
Both titles are much cheaper from Amazon so if I do I'll be getting them there.
Just ordered Journey to the Center of the Earth.

I realised i've never actually seen it. I was confusing it with other films. Really looking forward to watching it.

Just three left at Amazon / Eureka now.
J Harker and Rob4 like this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!