Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree1799Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th February 2018, 07:51 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Revealed! Here is our stunning new artwork for the forthcoming theatrical release of THE OLD DARK HOUSE!

A new 4K restoration of THE OLD DARK HOUSE, the chilling lost classic from the director of Frankenstein, The Invisible Man & The Bride of Frankenstein will be released in selected cinemas nationwide (UK & Ireland) from 27 April 2018.

Frankenstein director James Whale turned J.B. Priestley’s novel Benighted into a nerve-jangling tale that became the template for all spooky-house chillers to come. Stranded travellers stumble upon a strange old house, and find themselves at the mercy of a highly eccentric and potentially dangerous family. This atmospheric thriller features an unforgettable post-Frankenstein horror role for Boris Karloff, as the hulking, disfigured butler Morgan. Also starring in early-career roles are Melvin Douglas, Charles Laughton, Raymond Massey and Gloria Stuart of Titanic.

The release in UK & Ireland will be accompanied by a brand new trailer this specially commissioned poster artwork by Graham Humphreys, British illustrator and visual artist best known for producing publicity material for The Evil Dead and The Nightmare on Elm Street series.

THE OLD DARK HOUSE will open at BFI Southbank, HOMEmcr, Chapter Arts Cardiff, Irish Film Institute (IFI) Dublin & Filmhouse Edinburgh with many more venues to be announced.

Full details about a forthcoming Masters of Cinema home video release will be revealed on Friday 23 February 2018.
Old 19th February 2018, 08:39 AM
Cult Addict

There is a trailer on YouTube for the restored print. Looks absolutely superb.
Old 19th February 2018, 09:29 AM
Cult Addict

https://youtu.be/WqhzhNoTKps

Last edited by Nosferatu@Cult Labs; 19th February 2018 at 10:03 AM. Reason: Added alternative YouTube link
Old 19th February 2018, 10:14 AM
Cult Addict

Thanks Nos
Old 19th February 2018, 09:20 PM
Cult Acolyte

I have the Blu ray from Cohen.
It's awesome. The restoration is incredible.

19BO03_Old-Dark-House-BR.jpg

Hope I can get to see a theatrical showing.
Old 19th February 2018, 10:25 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Boy View Post
I have the Blu ray from Cohen.
It's awesome. The restoration is incredible.

Attachment 201574

Hope I can get to see a theatrical showing.
I wasn't even aware there was already a blu available!
Old 19th February 2018, 11:17 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Harker View Post
I wasn't even aware there was already a blu available!
It was Cohen who did the restoration so i can understand why they got their release out last year.

However i'm pleased to be able to buy it from a UK company who won't give it a crappy artwork digipak release.
Old 20th February 2018, 12:45 AM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
It was Cohen who did the restoration so i can understand why they got their release out last year.

However i'm pleased to be able to buy it from a UK company who won't give it a crappy artwork digipak release.
I would love to catch a theatrical screening. As usual these things never come anywhere near me.
Old 23rd February 2018, 03:26 PM
Cult Master
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Coming in May on the Masters Of Cinema label, James Whale’s The Old Dark House.

Here at the specs (from their Facebook page).

Revealed! THE OLD DARK HOUSE, James Whale’s atmospheric and entertaining horror starring Boris Karloff and Melvyn Douglas, is set to be released as part of The Masters of Cinema Series in a definitive Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD) edition on 21 May 2018, featuring a Limited Edition O-card [First Print Run ONLY] and following its theatrical outing on 27 April 2018. Available to pre-order now http://amzn.to/2GCweeo

A group of weary travellers, a spooky mansion, and a madman on the loose upstairs! Director James Whale’s (Bride of Frankenstein, The Invisible Man) THE OLD DARK HOUSE is one of the best and most entertaining horror films of the 1930’s. Dripping with atmosphere and packed to the brim with thrills, chills and gallows humour, it was considered lost for many years, but is now being presented from a stunning new 4K restoration.

Caught in a storm whilst journeying through a remote region of Wales, a group of travellers take refuge in a sinister mansion inhabited by the bizarre Femm family and their mute butler, Morgan (played by the iconic Boris Karloff, Frankenstein, The Mummy). Trying to make the best of a bad situation, the group settles in for the night, but the Femm family have a few skeletons in their closet, and one of them is on the loose…

With an incredible cast, including Melvyn Douglas (Hud, Twilight’s Last Gleaming), Gloria Stuart (Titanic) and Charles Laughton (Witness for the Prosecution, Ruggles of Red Gap), The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present THE OLD DARK HOUSE in cinemas nationwide (UK & Irelend) and in a special Dual Format edition, the first time the film has been available on Blu-ray in the UK.

DUAL FORMAT SPECIAL FEATURES

LIMITED EDITION O-Card (first pressing only) featuring artwork by Graham Humphreys created especially for the 2018 UK theatrical release | Gorgeous 1080p presentation from the Cohen Media Group 4K restoration (with a progressive encode on the DVD) | Uncompressed LPCM audio (On the Blu-ray) | Optional English subtitles | An exclusive video essay by critic and filmmaker David Cairns | Feature length audio commentary by critic & author Kim Newman and Stephen Jones | Feature length audio commentary by Gloria Stuart | Feature length audio commentary by James Whale biographer James Curtis | Daughter of Frankenstein: A Conversation with Sara Karloff | Curtis Harrington Saves THE OLD DARK HOUSE - an archival interview with director Curtis Harrington about his efforts to save THE OLD DARK HOUSE at a time when it was considered a lost film | Eureka! trailer for the 2018 theatrical release of THE OLD DARK HOUSE | A collector’s booklet featuring new essay by critic Philip Kemp, as well as an abundant selection of archival imagery and ephemera.

IMG_7339.jpg
Old 23rd February 2018, 03:27 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

You've made my day, Stephen.

Like this? Share it using the links below!