Like Tree1799Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 20th December 2018, 06:34 PM
Cult King
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob4 View Post
there is a section for 'what are you most looking forward to in 2019' - there are some interesting titles on the list especially some Hong Kong stuff featuring John Woo among others.

i meant to copy and paste the titles but after completing the survey it wouldn't let me go back. so if anybody else takes the survey please save the list and post - i don't think you can copy and paste so you may have to do a 'print screen'.

ta in advance
Screw all the Hong Kong stuff, The White Reindeer is scheduled for release next year.
Old 20th December 2018, 06:44 PM
Cult Addict

Some John Woo titles would be nice but all the kung fu stuff doesn't do a lot for me.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
Old 20th December 2018, 09:28 PM
Cultist

Can't wait for them to release the 3 Sammo Hung films.

The 2 John Woo kung fu films are brilliant as well, I'm assuming they have bought the rights for all of these from who ever it was had them for hong Kong Legends, so hopefully we're going to get The Killer and Bullet in the Head at some point as well.

Wheels on Meals as well is a classic, but I absolutely hate Zu Warriors from the Magic Mountain, it's pure pish.
Old 20th December 2018, 10:49 PM
Moderator Alumni
Good Trader

Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte and The White Reindeer are definitely two of my most anticipated.
Old 20th December 2018, 11:11 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs View Post
Hush, Hush Sweet Charlotte and The White Reindeer are definitely two of my most anticipated.
I've never seen The White Reindeer. All i know of it is what Phil Hardy and Aurum tell me in their Encyclopedia of Horror along with one single tantalizing little pic.

But since day one i've wanted to watch a pristine print of it so have stayed clear of Youtube and so on.
Old 11th February 2019, 07:41 PM
Cult Acolyte

April 2019

New Announcement! THE WHITE REINDEER, a beautiful and haunting folk tale based on Lapland mythology, for the very first time in the UK as part of The Masters of Cinema Series in a definitive Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD) edition on 8 April 2019, presented from a new 4K restoration and available with a Limited Edition slipcase [2000 copies only]. Available to PRE-ORDER now from Amazon https://amzn.to/2SgsU2Z Zavvi http://po.st/wJ3qja

The directorial debut of Finnish cinematographer Erik Blomberg, THE WHITE REINDEER is one of world cinema’s criminally under-seen masterpieces. A vampiric fairy-tale set amongst the starkly beautiful fells of Finnish Lapland, Blomberg combines an almost documentary filming style with avant-garde experimentation to produce a dreamy art-house horror film without compare.

A newly-married young woman, Pirita (Mirjami Kuosmanen), becomes frustrated and lonely as her husband, a reindeer herder for a small Arctic village, spends much of his time away from home in devotion to his work. Desperate for affection, she visits a shaman who offers a potion that makes her an irresistible object of desire, but there is a terrible cost. Pirita becomes a bloodthirsty shapeshifter who lures men out into the barren wilderness where she consumes them.

With its portrayals of gender inequality, societal pressures and sexual anxiety (represented through animal transformation, echoes of Jacques Tourneur’s Cat People…), THE WHITE REINDEER is a timeless classic that deserves to be rediscovered and recognised as a defining film in the horror and fantasy genres. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present the film from a new 4K restoration for the first time ever in the UK.

DUAL FORMAT SPECIAL FEATURES:
Limited Edition O Card Slipcase [2000 copies ONLY] | 1080p presentation on Blu-ray from a 4K restoration completed in 2017 by the National Audiovisual Institute of Finland | LPCM audio (original mono presentation) | Optional English subtitles | Feature Length Audio Commentary by critic and film historian Kat Ellinger | Religion, Pleasure, and Punishment: The Portrayal of Witches in Nordic Cinema – a new and exclusive video essay by film journalist and writer Amy Simmons | With The Reindeer – Erik Blomberg’s 1947 documentary short | Colour Test Footage | 1952 Jussi Awards Ceremony featurette | Reversible Sleeve | PLUS: A collector’s booklet featuring new writing by film critic and writer Alexandra Heller Nichols and journalist Philip Kemp

THE WHITE REINDEER (Masters of Cinema) Limited Edition Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD) available to PRE-ORDER now from Amazon https://amzn.to/2SgsU2Z Zavvi http://po.st/wJ3qja
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WhiteReindeer.jpg (102.5 KB, 15 views)
Old 11th February 2019, 08:15 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
April 2019

New Announcement! THE WHITE REINDEER, a beautiful and haunting folk tale based on Lapland mythology, for the very first time in the UK as part of The Masters of Cinema Series in a definitive Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD) edition on 8 April 2019, presented from a new 4K restoration and available with a Limited Edition slipcase [2000 copies only]. Available to PRE-ORDER now from Amazon https://amzn.to/2SgsU2Z Zavvi http://po.st/wJ3qja

The directorial debut of Finnish cinematographer Erik Blomberg, THE WHITE REINDEER is one of world cinema’s criminally under-seen masterpieces. A vampiric fairy-tale set amongst the starkly beautiful fells of Finnish Lapland, Blomberg combines an almost documentary filming style with avant-garde experimentation to produce a dreamy art-house horror film without compare.

A newly-married young woman, Pirita (Mirjami Kuosmanen), becomes frustrated and lonely as her husband, a reindeer herder for a small Arctic village, spends much of his time away from home in devotion to his work. Desperate for affection, she visits a shaman who offers a potion that makes her an irresistible object of desire, but there is a terrible cost. Pirita becomes a bloodthirsty shapeshifter who lures men out into the barren wilderness where she consumes them.

With its portrayals of gender inequality, societal pressures and sexual anxiety (represented through animal transformation, echoes of Jacques Tourneur’s Cat People…), THE WHITE REINDEER is a timeless classic that deserves to be rediscovered and recognised as a defining film in the horror and fantasy genres. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present the film from a new 4K restoration for the first time ever in the UK.

DUAL FORMAT SPECIAL FEATURES:
Limited Edition O Card Slipcase [2000 copies ONLY] | 1080p presentation on Blu-ray from a 4K restoration completed in 2017 by the National Audiovisual Institute of Finland | LPCM audio (original mono presentation) | Optional English subtitles | Feature Length Audio Commentary by critic and film historian Kat Ellinger | Religion, Pleasure, and Punishment: The Portrayal of Witches in Nordic Cinema – a new and exclusive video essay by film journalist and writer Amy Simmons | With The Reindeer – Erik Blomberg’s 1947 documentary short | Colour Test Footage | 1952 Jussi Awards Ceremony featurette | Reversible Sleeve | PLUS: A collector’s booklet featuring new writing by film critic and writer Alexandra Heller Nichols and journalist Philip Kemp

THE WHITE REINDEER (Masters of Cinema) Limited Edition Dual Format (Blu-ray & DVD) available to PRE-ORDER now from Amazon https://amzn.to/2SgsU2Z Zavvi http://po.st/wJ3qja
This is my release of the year. I can't wait to see it.
Old 12th February 2019, 08:52 AM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
This is my release of the year. I can't wait to see it.
it'll be interesting to see what you make of it Dem. The documentary style of the first half probably tests the patience of a lot of horror fans.
Old 12th February 2019, 11:20 AM
Cult Addict

I really liked the White reindeer myself, ended up watching it twice in a row.
Not something i normally do.
Rob4 likes this.

MIKE: I've got it! Peter Cushing! We've got to drive a stake through his heart!
VYVYAN: Great! I'll get the car!
NEIL: I'll get a cushion.
Old 12th February 2019, 11:51 AM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Quote:
it'll be interesting to see what you make of it Dem. The documentary style of the first half probably tests the patience of a lot of horror fans.
Has it been released before, Rob? If it has i must admit to not being aware of it.

Like this? Share it using the links below!