Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1799Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27th January 2022, 07:38 PM
Cult Acolyte

^^^ I'd be excited if I was confident that Eureka were going to release all of the classic Universal's already released in US, but I suspect they are not going to do that, ensuring that I'll have to source the imports to have a full collection.
Old 28th January 2022, 08:45 PM
Cult Don
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs View Post
April Release

A trio of chilling sci-fi tales from the vaults of Universal Pictures, starring a number of genre legends including Lionel Atwill (Son of Frankenstein), Lon Chaney, Jr. (The Wolf Man), Grant Williams (The Incredible Shrinking Man).

A mad scientist transforms a carnival performer (Lon Chaney, Jr.) into a murderous monster in Man-Made Monster (dir. George Waggner, 1941). In The Monolith Monsters (dir. John Sherwood, 1957), a giant meteor crashes to Earth and the fragments begin to spread – turning everyone they come into contact with to stone! And finally, fear stalks the seemingly tranquil halls of Dunsfield University in Monster on the Campus (dir. Jack Arnold, 1958) when a palaeontology professor becomes infected with irradiated blood and begins to devolve into a primitive beast.

SPECIAL FEATURES
Limited Edition O-Card slipcase [2000 copies]

1080p presentations on Blu-ray

Disc One – Man-Made Monster and The Monolith Monsters

Disc Two – Monster on the Campus (available in both 1.33:1 and 1.85:1 aspect ratios)

Man-Made Monster – Brand new audio commentary with author Stephen Jones and author / critic Kim Newman

The Monolith Monsters – Brand new audio commentary with Kevin Lyons and Jonathan Rigby

Monster on the Campus – Brand new audio commentary with author Stephen Jones and author / critic Kim Newman

A Limited Edition collector’s booklet featuring new writing on the films included in this set by film scholar Craig Ian Mann [2000 copies]

There's some more Hong Kong stuff but i don't give a monkeys about those.

Gimme that!

The Monolith Monsters-CLASSIC!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg monolith-monsters-2.jpg (110.6 KB, 14 views)

Teddy, I'm a Scotch drinker - you know that. I just have the occasional brandy when I'm not drinking.
Old 8th February 2022, 05:45 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Did anyone pick up the Inner Sanctum Mysteries set?

Are the films good? Are there any issues with it at all?

In short, is it recommended.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 811qbWmgytL._AC_SL1500_.jpg (91.9 KB, 7 views)
Old 8th February 2022, 08:43 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Did anyone pick up the Inner Sanctum Mysteries set?

Are the films good? Are there any issues with it at all?

In short, is it recommended.
I quite like them but then again I'm pretty much a completist when it comes to 30s/40s horror/mysteries.

They are radio adaptions. Therefore, they are very much small scale b-movie chamber pieces. Not overly ambitious and over-reliant on Chaney. Because he is in all of them I wouldn't recommend watching them back to back.

If you are not a massive fan of this type of thing but are curious you would probably by better off waiting for a decent sale price or picking them up secondhand.
Old 8th February 2022, 09:52 PM
Cult Acolyte

^ I'm the same. I like them as they fit with the Universal 'horrors' and I'm bias anyway when it comes to Universal and Hammer movies.
Lots of familiar faces from other Universal movies and what a joy to see Evelyn Ankers playing against type in 'Weird Women'.
I have the R1 DVD set.
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 8th February 2022, 10:00 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

Thanks Rob and Dave Boy.

I was reading the reviews on Blu-ray.com and they don't seem to rate the image quality much. Usually they only get 3/5.

I have all the old region one sets for Karloff and Lugosi on dvd but have never seen any of these.
Old 8th February 2022, 11:16 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Thanks Rob and Dave Boy.

I was reading the reviews on Blu-ray.com and they don't seem to rate the image quality much. Usually they only get 3/5.

I have all the old region one sets for Karloff and Lugosi on dvd but have never seen any of these.
The image quality of 5/6 films is very good. Only Pillow of Death is ropey and apparently even this is an improvement on the US release.

see here for details:
Inner Sanctum Mysteries Blu-ray - Lon Chaney
Demdike@Cult Labs likes this.
Old 15th February 2022, 01:43 PM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan Foreman View Post
'Dreadnaught' (1981) - Coming to Blu-ray in 2022

"A short-tempered, violent criminal named "White Tiger" is on the run from the police and joins a theater troupe for disguise, killing anyone who angers him or who suspects his identity. One person he unsuccessfully tries to kill several times is a cowardly laundry man named "Mousy" who manages to escape mostly by running and hiding. When a very close friend of Mousy's is killed by the White Tiger, Mousy overcomes his cowardliness enough to seek revenge. Spectacular martial arts and acrobatics highlight the film, including a well choreographed fight between two pairs of men in dragon costume"

MORE INFO TBA
"Just heard some great news about our release of DREADNAUGHT!

The film has been certificated 15 by the BBFC with no cuts requested, meaning that DREADNAUGHT will be available UNCUT for the first time ever in the UK from 25 April"
ramses and Demoncrat like this.

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 24th February 2022, 03:41 PM
Cult King
Senior Moderator

A couple of great May releases.

Revolver.

SPECIAL FEATURES

Limited Edition O-Card slipcase [2000 copies]

1080p presentation on Blu-ray from a 4K restoration

English and Italian audio options

Optional English Subtitles, newly translated for this release

Brand new audio commentary by author / critic Kim Newman

Brand new interview with film scholar Stephen Thrower, author of Nightmare USA

Archival interview with actor Fabio Testi

Original Trailers and Radio Adverts

A Limited Edition collector’s booklet featuring two new essays by author Howard Hughes; one covering the background to the making of Revolver, and an extensive piece on Ennio Morricone’s “Eurocrime” soundtracks
[2000 copies]

Vampyr

SPECIAL FEATURES

Limited Edition Hardbound Slipcase [3000 copies]

All-new 2K digital restoration of the German version by the Danish Film Institute, completed in 2020 after an extensive decade-long restoration process, with uncompressed mono soundtrack

Optional unrestored audio track

Two audio commentaries: one by critic and programmer Tony Rayns; the second by filmmaker and Vampyr fan Guillermo del Toro

Visual essay by scholar Casper Tybjerg on Dreyer’s Vampyr influences

New video interview with author and critic Kim Newman on Vampyr's unique place within vampire cinema

Two new video interviews with music and cultural historian David Huckvale on the film's score and its adaptation of Sheridan Le Fanu

Carl Th. Dreyer (1966) – a documentary by Jörgen Roos

Two deleted scenes, removed by the German censor in 1932

The Baron – a short MoC documentary about Baron Nicolas de Gunzburg
Optional English subtitles

A 100-PAGE BOOK - featuring rare production stills, location photography, posters, the 1932 Danish film programme, a 1964 interview with Baron Nicolas de Gunzberg (producer and actor "Allan Gray"), an essay by Dreyer on film style, and writing by Tom Milne, Jean and Dale Drum, and film restorer Martin Koerber

[3000 copies]
Old 24th February 2022, 08:15 PM
Cult Don
Good Trader
Senior Moderator

The Guillermo Del Toro commentary is one of the best I've ever heard on any film; I'm very pleased it's on this release.
Demoncrat likes this.

Like this? Share it using the links below!