Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The Eureka & Masters of Cinema Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/8587-eureka-masters-cinema-thread.html)

it'smebilly 30th April 2012 09:35 PM

The Eureka & Masters of Cinema Thread

Someone else suggested giving our very own 'Criterion collection' a thread of it's own, so here it is.

MOC are probably my favourite UK label now, all those fantastic films, sporting lovely transfers and bonus features housed in those gorgeous steel books. Who could ask for more?

My favourite release so far (in my fledgling collection) is Repo Man. What's yours? Also what future releases from the great MOC are you most looking forward to?

sawyer6 30th April 2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by it'smebilly (Post 237383)
Someone else suggested giving our very own 'Criterion collection' a thread of it's own, so here it is.

MOC are probably my favourite UK label now, all those fantastic films, sporting lovely transfers and bonus features housed in those gorgeous steel books. Who could ask for more?

My favourite release so far (in my fledgling collection) is Repo Man. What's yours? Also what future releases from the great MOC are you most looking forward to?

Very good!! I'm looking forward to Island Of lost Souls ,Cleopatra and all Pasolini releases

Stephen@Cult Labs 30th April 2012 09:45 PM

I prefer to think of Criterion as America's own Masters Of Cinema. :)

it'smebilly 7th May 2012 08:39 PM

I'd like to see a release of some of the Criterion's, like Videodrome, Dazed and Confused.

Other titles that would look great in a steely are Cronenberg's Crash, can't understand why this hasn't got a decent release anywhere. Harold and Maude would be good too. ;)

sjconstable 8th May 2012 03:56 AM

I really like MoC and collect them, but they keep releasing Japanese films with the wrong black level (Japanese standard starts at IRE 0) resulting in poor contrast and no actual black whatsoever. This is because the British black level standard starts higher, like around IRE 7 or 8 I think, so for these films you end up watching them that many shades too bright.

If you have a PS3 you can rectify this by setting the RGB range to 'Full' instead of 'Limited' for these films, but not all players have that option.

But yeah, MoC should know this, and should set all films to British standard. :sad:

*This doesn't apply to ALL Japanese films they release, but it's the majority of the ones that I own.

it'smebilly 25th May 2012 10:10 PM

My Island of Lost souls blu arrived. I've never seen this so looking forward to it. Anyone else got this?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th May 2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by it'smebilly (Post 244913)
My Island of Lost souls blu arrived. I've never seen this so looking forward to it. Anyone else got this?

Mine also arrived today.

I may watch it Sunday if I get the chance!

It's great to see a Eureka thread on here too, btw. :thumb:

Slippery Jack 26th May 2012 08:51 AM

As mentioned on another thread, I'm going through a silent phase at the moment (as in silent films, I can still speak) - pretty cool just how many Murnau films MOC have in their collection, I'll probably end up getting them all.

Their Touch of Evil Blu could well be my favourite release of all time :eek: . . .

sawyer6 26th May 2012 09:43 AM

[QUOTE=Slippery Jack;244956] pretty cool just how many Murnau films MOC have in their collection, I'll probably end up getting them all.

QUOTE]

I'm no silent film expert but I believe Murnau is the best (or on the top 3 list) silent film director

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 26th May 2012 05:19 PM

Murnau's possibly my favourite director of silent films, too. :nod:

Although, I do also love a lot of Lang's and Leni's silent films.