Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The Eureka & Masters of Cinema Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/8587-eureka-masters-cinema-thread.html)

it'smebilly 30th April 2012 09:35 PM

The Eureka & Masters of Cinema Thread

Someone else suggested giving our very own 'Criterion collection' a thread of it's own, so here it is.

MOC are probably my favourite UK label now, all those fantastic films, sporting lovely transfers and bonus features housed in those gorgeous steel books. Who could ask for more?

My favourite release so far (in my fledgling collection) is Repo Man. What's yours? Also what future releases from the great MOC are you most looking forward to?

sawyer6 30th April 2012 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by it'smebilly (Post 237383)
Someone else suggested giving our very own 'Criterion collection' a thread of it's own, so here it is.

MOC are probably my favourite UK label now, all those fantastic films, sporting lovely transfers and bonus features housed in those gorgeous steel books. Who could ask for more?

My favourite release so far (in my fledgling collection) is Repo Man. What's yours? Also what future releases from the great MOC are you most looking forward to?

Very good!! I'm looking forward to Island Of lost Souls ,Cleopatra and all Pasolini releases

Stephen@Cult Labs 30th April 2012 09:45 PM

I prefer to think of Criterion as America's own Masters Of Cinema. :)

it'smebilly 7th May 2012 08:39 PM

I'd like to see a release of some of the Criterion's, like Videodrome, Dazed and Confused.

Other titles that would look great in a steely are Cronenberg's Crash, can't understand why this hasn't got a decent release anywhere. Harold and Maude would be good too. ;)

sjconstable 8th May 2012 03:56 AM

I really like MoC and collect them, but they keep releasing Japanese films with the wrong black level (Japanese standard starts at IRE 0) resulting in poor contrast and no actual black whatsoever. This is because the British black level standard starts higher, like around IRE 7 or 8 I think, so for these films you end up watching them that many shades too bright.

If you have a PS3 you can rectify this by setting the RGB range to 'Full' instead of 'Limited' for these films, but not all players have that option.

But yeah, MoC should know this, and should set all films to British standard. :sad:

*This doesn't apply to ALL Japanese films they release, but it's the majority of the ones that I own.

it'smebilly 25th May 2012 10:10 PM

My Island of Lost souls blu arrived. I've never seen this so looking forward to it. Anyone else got this?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 25th May 2012 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by it'smebilly (Post 244913)
My Island of Lost souls blu arrived. I've never seen this so looking forward to it. Anyone else got this?

Mine also arrived today.

I may watch it Sunday if I get the chance!

It's great to see a Eureka thread on here too, btw. :thumb:

Slippery Jack 26th May 2012 08:51 AM

As mentioned on another thread, I'm going through a silent phase at the moment (as in silent films, I can still speak) - pretty cool just how many Murnau films MOC have in their collection, I'll probably end up getting them all.

Their Touch of Evil Blu could well be my favourite release of all time :eek: . . .

sawyer6 26th May 2012 09:43 AM

[QUOTE=Slippery Jack;244956] pretty cool just how many Murnau films MOC have in their collection, I'll probably end up getting them all.

QUOTE]

I'm no silent film expert but I believe Murnau is the best (or on the top 3 list) silent film director

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 26th May 2012 05:19 PM

Murnau's possibly my favourite director of silent films, too. :nod:

Although, I do also love a lot of Lang's and Leni's silent films.

sawyer6 26th May 2012 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 245067)
Murnau's possibly my favourite director of silent films, too. :nod:

Although, I do also love a lot of Lang's and Leni's silent films.

I also like Fritz Lang a lot too,I have only watched one Leni Riefenstahl movie

it'smebilly 26th May 2012 07:26 PM

What's the ideal Murnau to start with? I'll be picking up Fritz Lang's Metropolis soon anyway as it's one of my set DVDs for my next module.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 26th May 2012 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by it'smebilly (Post 245096)
What's the ideal Murnau to start with?

Nosferatu would be a good start.

Although Faust is a favourite of mine, too.

Cap. Vic RobotPants M.D. 26th May 2012 07:35 PM

I'm really interested in picking up a lot of the Masters of Cinema blu rays. Shame about the Japanese Black levels as those were the ones I was most keen on buying. I still need to buy an all region player. Hopefully in the next two weeks.
Didn't they release Onibaba on blu, and if so, any one have it?
Lately Criterion hasn't put out anything that jumps into my order list.

Hawkmonger 26th May 2012 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 245100)
Nosferatu would be a good start.

Although Faust is a favourite of mine, too.

How much longer must we wait before we get a Nosferatu BD? :rolleyes:

oaxaca 26th May 2012 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cap. Vic RobotPants M.D. (Post 245102)
I'm really interested in picking up a lot of the Masters of Cinema blu rays. Shame about the Japanese Black levels as those were the ones I was most keen on buying. I still need to buy an all region player. Hopefully in the next two weeks.
Didn't they release Onibaba on blu, and if so, any one have it?
Lately Criterion hasn't put out anything that jumps into my order list.

Onibabi isn't out on blu (yet) but Criterion have released Shindo's other horror classic, Kuroneko, as you probably know.

I too love MoC's releases and feel both Eureka and Criterion are on an equal footing in terms of quality output on blu ray at least.

I couldn't pick which MoC release I like best to be honest. Lifeboat, Touch of Evil, Island of Lost Souls, Repo Man and Silent Running are all first rate releases with steelbook artwork to die for.

Their Japanese output is quality too; Ugetsu Monogatari, Sansho Dayu, Oyu Sama, Gion Bayashi, Burmese Harp, Harakiri, Profound Desires of the Gods, Ballad of Narayama, Shogun Assassin (non MoC)... The list goes on. Fantastic!

Then their silent stuff: Sunrise, City Girl, Couer Fidele, Metropolis. Best BD publisher in Britain!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th June 2012 09:17 PM

Review for Double Indemnity up at blu-ray.com.

I can't wait for this! :happy:

it'smebilly 10th June 2012 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 249437)
Review for Double Indemnity up at blu-ray.com.

I can't wait for this! :happy:

That's mine that is! ;)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 10th June 2012 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by it'smebilly (Post 249457)
That's mine that is! ;)

Very nice review! :thumb:

stefanmetal 11th June 2012 11:52 AM

Anyone looking forward to the release of Porcile. Never seen before. Anyone care to comment on it?

it'smebilly 11th June 2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 249462)
Very nice review! :thumb:

"The wise one is a man of few words" Francis Duggan :woot: Seriously though, can't wait for this.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 11th June 2012 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by it'smebilly (Post 249635)
"The wise one is a man of few words" Francis Duggan :woot: Seriously though, can't wait for this.

Kevin mentioned that they'll probably start shipping this and The Lost Weekend this Friday / next Monday, so for everyone who's ordered from Eureka direct, we may start receiving these titles early next week! :happy:

With these two and the Hammer BDs of The Plague of the Zombies and The Reptile, I'll certainly have no shortage of films to watch!

Hawkmonger 11th June 2012 08:41 PM

Seeing as there so few Mario Bava films on BD at the moment (Even with at least 3 titles being covered from Redemption soon) Eureka is the perfect label to give the mistroue himself a spin in HD.

Wes 11th June 2012 08:42 PM

Not an MOC release, but a friend gave me his Blu of Takashi Miike's Yatterman, (on the Eureka label) - he ordered a bunch of MOC's and was sent it by mistake, and gave it to me - seems a bit nuts but I'll give it a shot...

Hawkmonger 11th June 2012 08:43 PM

It is in the purest form a Japanese film Mr Wes. You'll love it or hate it.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th June 2012 06:55 AM

The Lost Weekend review at blu-ray.com.

Wes 14th June 2012 07:05 AM

The MOC boys do it again... It's been years since I saw Lost Weekend but I remember it being a brilliant, brilliant film, and along with Sunset Boulevard, Billy Wilder's best film. Fantastic extras on the Blu as well, I might grab this today off the MOC website

Demoncrat 14th June 2012 10:15 AM

Vampyr for a pittance!!! sold!!:)

Wes 14th June 2012 11:28 AM

Excellent choice Demoncrat, pure Dream Cinema at its finest... I would recommend almost every film on the MOC label and if I had the funds I'd own 'em all - flick thru their catalogue and you'll discover a whole alternative history of World Cinema.

I once asked MOC if they would consider putting out King Hu's martial arts masterpiece A Touch of Zen, and they said they would do it in a heartbeat if they could get hold of it, but the rights-holder is looking for a huge license fee...

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th June 2012 03:43 PM

Latest Eureka BD Offers.

Demoncrat 15th June 2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 250137)
Vampyr for a pittance!!! sold!!:)

Vampyr ordered!! And Island of Lost Souls for £12?? i may have to learn how to live on air it seems...:laugh:

JC77 15th June 2012 05:37 PM

I'm still waiting for them to release Fritz Lang's Die Nibelungen...

Hawkmonger 15th June 2012 07:50 PM

I still want Eureka to get some Mario Bava on Blu-Ray. And i'm not going to die until I see it!:rolleyes:

it'smebilly 19th June 2012 08:11 PM

Guess what got inserted into my box today? :o ..............

Yes you guessed correct:

Double Idemnity and The Lost Weekend. Now, which one should I watch first?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 19th June 2012 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by it'smebilly (Post 251708)
Guess what got inserted into my box today? :o ..............

Yes you guessed correct:

Double Idemnity and The Lost Weekend. Now, which one should I watch first?

I'll be watching Double Indemnity first, after I've picked mine up from the PO tomorrow.

it'smebilly 19th June 2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 251709)
I'll be watching Double Indemnity first, after I've picked mine up from the PO tomorrow.

Good choice, think I'll opt for that too.

Demoncrat 20th June 2012 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by it'smebilly (Post 251712)
Good choice, think I'll opt for that too.

Am appallingly jealous, tis a storming thriller par none. Saying nowt else....

me Vampyr is a thing of beastly beauty, such a shame time has been unkind to it.....:(
but the disc itself is a thing to treasure.....:):)

Bringer Of Funerals 20th June 2012 04:24 PM

I ordered Faust on dvd and Metropolis on Blu yesterday

sawyer6 20th June 2012 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals (Post 251854)
I ordered Faust on dvd and Metropolis on Blu yesterday

You did fine :)

it'smebilly 26th June 2012 09:18 PM

I still need to get Metropolis on BD.

I wish MOC would do a Criterionesque deal with Paramount. I want UK editions of Harold and Maude and Rosemary's Baby dammit!