Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The BFI Blu-ray and DVD Release Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/9116-bfi-blu-ray-dvd-release-thread.html)

Mojo 4th September 2020 03:07 PM

I love the Flipside series and have them all, but I thought a couple of the recent releases were a bit underwhelming.
However, this is a nailed - on day one purchase :nod:

Inspector Abberline 7th October 2020 03:48 PM

Short Sharp Shocks (2-disc Blu-ray

1 Attachment(s)
Short Sharp Shocks (2-disc Blu-ray,,)

Looks like we now have a cover for this release.

gag 7th October 2020 05:03 PM

Looks good I’ll preorder before it’s released .

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th October 2020 09:12 PM

Superb.
Mr Humphries?

Rob4 8th October 2020 07:50 AM

Hope there's a volume 2. There are a lot of British horror shorts from the seventies and eighties mentioned in Jonathan Rigby's English Gothic that I wouldn't mind seeing just for their curiosity value. Take an Easy Ride especially sounds like a totally inept faux documentary/exploitation/sleaze relic of the seventies that is right in the wheelhouse of the Flipside label.

Demdike@Cult Labs 8th October 2020 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rob4 (Post 637157)
Hope there's a volume 2. There are a lot of British horror shorts from the seventies and eighties mentioned in Jonathan Rigby's English Gothic that I wouldn't mind seeing just for their curiosity value. Take an Easy Ride especially sounds like a totally inept faux documentary/exploitation/sleaze relic of the seventies that is right in the wheelhouse of the Flipside label.

Have you not seen Take an Easy Ride, Rob?

Surprised as it's out on dvd from Odeon / Screenbound. It also has a pilot show on it called Go Girl starring lovely Luan Peters.

Rob4 8th October 2020 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 637162)

Surprised as it's out on dvd from Odeon / Screenbound. It also has a pilot show on it called Go Girl starring lovely Luan Peters.

Didn't know Dem. Thanks for the 'heads up' :clap:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th October 2020 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 637162)

Yeah,a classic of Brit exploitation.

https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/197...es-1974-a.html

gag 15th October 2020 01:23 PM

7 episodes of play for today on blu ray for first time.

https://shop.bfi.org.uk/pre-order-pl...s9jJv0yhg7RAU4

Pre-Order: Play For Today Volume One (4-Disc Blu-ray Box Set)

£44.99
Seven iconic Play for Today dramas on Blu-ray for the very first time

Released 16 November 2020
Details
50 years on from its first transmission, the BBC’s Play for Today anthology series remains one of British television’s most influential and celebrated achievements. Between 1970 and 1984, plays which combined some of the era’s finest writing, acting and directing talents were broadcast direct to living rooms, regularly challenging viewers and pushing the boundaries of TV drama.

Featuring plays by the likes of Ingmar Bergman, Julia Jones and Colin Welland and featuring a roster of eminent British actors, Play for Today: Volume One brings together seven iconic dramas on Blu-ray for the very first time, in a collection that exemplifies the breadth and brilliance of this groundbreaking series.

The set includes five plays which have been restored from the original negatives held in the BBC archive.

The Plays:

The Lie (Written by Ingmar Bergman | Dir. Alan Bridges, 1970)
Shakespeare or Bust (Written by Peter Terson | Dir. Brian Parker, 1973)
Back of Beyond (Written by Julia Jones | Dir. Desmond Davis, 1974)
Passage to England (Written by Leon Griffiths | Dir. John Mackenzie, 1975)
Our Flesh and Blood (Written by Mike Stott | Dir. Pedr James, 1977)
A Photograph (Written by John Bowen | Dir. John Glenister, 1977)
Your Man from Six Counties (Written by Colin Welland | Dir. Barry Davis, 1976)

Rob4 3rd November 2020 09:15 AM

1 Attachment(s)
22/03/21 This makes me very very happy :bananasuit::bananasuit::bananasuit:

Rob4 3rd November 2020 04:15 PM

Well my excitement about Targets has been tempered by disappointing news about Dementia. I'm hearing from CHFB it has missing gore shots. Shame as its clear from the DVDBeaver review that its a substantial upgrade in picture quality

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 3rd November 2020 06:02 PM

Picked up TALES FROM THE HOOD in Fopp yesterday.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvUL28Skt6E

MrBarlow 16th November 2020 02:23 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/atta...1&d=1605540071

Play for Today: Volume One
4-DISC BLU-RAY BOX SET OUT TODAY
‘Play for Today was revolutionary and exciting’
David Hare

Celebrate 50 years of the BBC's landmark anthology series Play for Today with our brand new Blu-ray box set - available now from the BFI Shop.

Including dramas by Ingmar Bergman, Julia Jones and Colin Welland and featuring a roster of eminent British actors, enjoy seven iconic television plays across four discs - the perfect gift for the TV lover in your life this Christmas.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 16th November 2020 07:37 PM

Really looking forward to SHORT SHARP SHOCKS! :nod:

Rob4 22nd January 2021 01:22 PM

If you are Flipside fan the following have been reported on Blurage as OOP or going OOP soon:

Joanna
The Party's Over
Privilege
(to be reissued as a standard edition)

In other news Targets has been delayed. New date TBA :crying:

Michael Brooke 22nd January 2021 01:36 PM

Those have already been OOP for some time. But, as you say, Privilege is up for reissue minus a couple of extras whose rights expired.

Justin101 22nd January 2021 02:18 PM

I thought Privilege was already in a new version! I have the one with the Flipside branding and the blue colour cover, but I saw one which had original poster art on the cover?

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd January 2021 04:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 644640)
I thought Privilege was already in a new version! I have the one with the Flipside branding and the blue colour cover, but I saw one which had original poster art on the cover?

It is.

Rob4 22nd January 2021 05:15 PM

^ the above one was a re-packaging with the same disc contents. the next edition will be minus some extras

Mojo 29th January 2021 02:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
PLAY FOR TODAY Vol 2 and I START COUNTING as Flipside 42 forthcoming :clap:

Attachment 230928

Attachment 230929

Rob4 29th January 2021 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 645099)
PLAY FOR TODAY Vol 2 and I START COUNTING as Flipside 42 forthcoming :clap:

Attachment 230928

Attachment 230929

I Start Counting is a gem.

:lol: forget Arrow's endless re-releases the BFI is where its at!

Susan Foreman 27th February 2021 05:48 AM

'Friendship's Death' (1987) - Dual version pre-order available from Amazon UK = £15:99

Release date: June 21

"Friendship's Death is a bizarre and absorbing story of the relationship between a British war correspondent (Bill Paterson, Comfort and Joy) and a female extra-terrestrial, named Friendship (Tilda Swinton, We Need to Talk About Kevin) who on a peace mission to Earth misses her intended destination of MIT, and instead lands inadvertently in Jordan during the events of Black September in 1970. The film's intelligent wit, coupled with outstanding performances from its two leads makes this a truly compelling film.

Directed by renowned film theorist Peter Wollen (and his only solo feature) Friendship's Death has been newly restored by the BFI National Archive and is available on Blu-ray and DVD for the first time."

Special features
* Presented in High Definition and Standard Definition
* Newly remastered by the BFI National Archive
* ***FIRST PRESSING ONLY*** Fully illustrated booklet with new writing on the film by So Mayer and full film credits
* Other extras TBC

Susan Foreman 27th February 2021 06:41 AM

'Piccadilly' (1929) - Blu-Ray pre-order available from Amazon UK - £16:33

"Valentine Wilmot, the owner of the popular Piccadilly Club finds his lead male attraction, Victor Smiles (Cyril Ritchard) has quit and that the public has judged Victor's partner Mabel as over the hill. Though they are lovers, Valentine must find another dancer to replace Mabel or face an uncertain future. When a customer (Charles Laughton in his first feature film) complains of a dirty dish, Valentine discovers the answer to all his problems down in the club's scullery

After many years of supporting roles in Hollywood, Anna May Wong left for Europe in search of better roles. And did she find one. Her electric, sexually-charged performance in Piccadilly is a revelation. The camera adores her, and against Alfred Junge s astonishing set design, her beauty glows in every frame, Piccadilly was the brilliant apex to Dupont's trilogy of backstage life (Varieté and Moulin Rouge), showcasing the director's signature mix of great acting, amazing imagery and astonishing camera movements."

Special features
  • Remastered by the BFI National Archive and presented in High Definition
  • Neil Brand on composing for Piccadilly (2004, 20 mins): the acclaimed composer discusses his score
  • Prologue from the sound version of the film (5 mins)
  • **FIRST PRESSING ONLY** Fully illustrated booklet with new writing on the film and biographies of director E A Dupont and star Anna May Wong
  • Other extras TBC

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 27th February 2021 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 646996)
'Friendship's Death' (1987) - Dual version pre-order available from Amazon UK = £15:99

"Friendship's Death is a bizarre and absorbing story of the relationship between a British war correspondent (Bill Paterson, Comfort and Joy) and a female extra-terrestrial, named Friendship (Tilda Swinton, We Need to Talk About Kevin) who on a peace mission to Earth misses her intended destination of MIT, and instead lands inadvertently in Jordan during the events of Black September in 1970. The film's intelligent wit, coupled with outstanding performances from its two leads makes this a truly compelling film.

Directed by renowned film theorist Peter Wollen (and his only solo feature) Friendship's Death has been newly restored by the BFI National Archive and is available on Blu-ray and DVD for the first time."

Special features
* Presented in High Definition and Standard Definition
* Newly remastered by the BFI National Archive
* ***FIRST PRESSING ONLY*** Fully illustrated booklet with new writing on the film by So Mayer and full film credits
* Other extras TBC

I'm looking forward to this-Bill Patterson is a great actor!

Inspector Abberline 2nd March 2021 03:20 PM

Kicked in the kurasawas

I'm flabbergasted,my flabber has never been so gasted...I know there are a lot of problems in the world, anybody who has read any of gags posts will know this, but why when they can send a robot to Mars,gave women the vote and let James Corden have his own chat show...is there not a standalone blu Ray release of Yojimbo....I know there is a Kurosawa boxset,and yes I've seen the Criterion releases...but I'm not selling another kidney or going to the docks to look for sailor's...so come on BFi pull your arthouse finger out of your ....

gag 2nd March 2021 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 647165)
I'm flabbergasted,my flabber has never been so gasted...I know there are a lot of problems in the world, anybody who has read any of gags posts will know this, but why when they can send a robot to Mars,gave women the vote and let James Corden have his own chat show...is there not a standalone blu Ray release of Yojimbo....I know there is a Kurosawa boxset,and yes I've seen the Criterion releases...but I'm not selling another kidney or going to the docks to look for sailor's...so come on BFi pull your arthouse finger out of your ....

send a robot to mars, can send clear pictures from outer space but yet struggle to get a decent cctv pic of someone from a few feet away. :lol:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 3rd March 2021 07:33 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:clap: April 19th

I START COUNTING (Blu-ray)

In a rapidly modernising English town, a psychopathic murderer is on the loose terrorising the young women of the local community. Fourteen year old Wynne (Jenny Agutter) begins to suspect that George (Bryan Marshall), her adoptive stepbrother who she's infatuated with, is the perpetrator. But could he really be responsible for such horrific crimes?

Presented in a new 2K restoration, David Greene's much sought-after British thriller is a gripping, cult classic of late-1960s cinema and the latest addition to the BFI Flipside collection.

Featuring a stand-out performance from Agutter and contributions from cult icons writer Richard Harris (The Avengers), production designer Brian Eatwell (Walkabout) and composer Basil Kirchin (Primitive London), I Start Counting is a haunting coming-of-age tale like no other.

Special Features:

Scanned & restored in 2K from the 35mm interpositive
An Apprentice with a Master's Ticket (2021): acclaimed screenwriter Richard Harris looks back over an eclectic career in television and film, ranging from The Avengers to A Touch of Frost

Worlds Within Worlds (2021): Jonny Trunk, founder of cult label Trunk Records, revisits the life and art of ambient music pioneer Basil Kirchin

I Start Building (1942-59, 26 mins): a selection of rare archive films recalling the 'New Town' dream

Danger on Dartmoor (1980, 57 mins): plucky kids face peril in this full-length Children's Film Foundation bonus feature, written by Audrey Erskine Lindop

Don't Be Like Brenda (1973, 8 mins): the perennial problem of teenage promiscuity is explored in this cautionary film designed for adolescent viewers

Audio commentary by film historian Samm Deighan

A Kickstart: Jenny Agutter Remembers I Start Counting (2020, 20 mins)

Loss of Innocence: A Video Essay on I Start Counting by Chris O Neill (2020, 8 mins)

Original theatrical trailer

Image gallery

**FIRST PRESSING ONLY** Fully illustrated booklet with a new essay on the film by the BFI's Jo Botting and writing on the cast and director by Jon Dear

www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9cTwHvEFm4

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw66DuJkT18

Demoncrat 3rd March 2021 08:31 PM

:hail::hail::hail:

MrBarlow 10th March 2021 06:06 PM

1 Attachment(s)
http://www.cult-labs.com/forums/atta...1&d=1615402931

Romeo is Bleeding
OUT NOW ON BFI BLU-RAY
'A solid, well-crafted latter-day noir well worth your attention'
The Digital Fix

Gary Oldman stars as a corrupt cop about to get in way over his head, in neo-noir classic Romeo is Bleeding.
Available now on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK, this cult favourite is presented with a newly recorded audio commentary and an exclusive interview with director Peter Medak.
Featuring a superb supporting cast that includes Annabella Sciorra, Juliette Lewis and Roy Scheider, get a taste of this gripping thriller with our brand new trailer.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-CRmRZtyqYc

Justin101 25th March 2021 11:40 AM

I think you might need a strong coffee :lol: this is the BFI thread. :behindsofa:

MrBarlow 25th March 2021 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Justin101 (Post 648553)
I think you might need a strong coffee :lol: this is the BFI thread. :behindsofa:

It came through in the email as BFI ner ner :pound: :behindsofa:

Attachment 232133

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th March 2021 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBarlow (Post 648557)
It came through in the email as BFI ner ner :pound: :behindsofa:

Attachment 232133

I think you were mistaking BFI British Film Institute for Big ****ing Idiot. :pound:

I've moved it for you. :)

nosferatu42 25th March 2021 01:55 PM

https://shop.bfi.org.uk/dvd-blu-ray/...ial-offer.html

There is a Criterion sale at the BFI shop but i had to put Criterion BFI in search engine, it's not that obvious on the website.
I've probably put the link up wrong.

Justin101 25th March 2021 03:42 PM

The same offer is across all retailers, so you can do it at HMV and Amazon for example, I think they're all offering the same products :)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 25th March 2021 07:39 PM

Thank fek for that Jus....the BFI site's prices are £21.99! :faint:

nosferatu42 25th March 2021 08:52 PM

When you go to checkout it adds the 25 deal.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 26th March 2021 10:37 AM

For a minute there,I thought Jus was a secret millionaire!

Susan Foreman 30th April 2021 10:46 AM

Sales at the BFI shop

Bank Holiday Box Set sale

"Bank Holiday box set bonanza!

This bank holiday we've cut prices on a selected range of BFI Blu-ray and DVD box sets.

Enjoy auteur collections, classic TV series' and cult favourites at great prices, available exclusively at the BFI Shop.

Hurry though - offer ends midnight on Monday 3 May and while stocks last!"

Spring Clean Sale

"As we look forward to the warmer months, we've decided to give our stock room a Spring clean.

We've put together this varied and eclectic range of titles, all at bargain prices while stocks last"

Susan Foreman 6th May 2021 06:23 AM

'Ingmar Bergman: Volume 1' - Limited edition (5,000 units) Blu-ray pre-order available from Amazon UK - £54.99

Release date: July 19

"Presented over 5 discs, the set features 2K restorations of eight early written or directed by Bergman. Including initial partnerships with regular collaborators (such as cinematographer Gunnar Fischer and actor Birger Malmsten), these early works exhibit his burgeoning talents, introducing themes and tones that he would continue to develop over the next five decades"

The films:
  • Torment (Dir: Alf Sjöberg | Scr. Ingmar Bergman, 1944)
  • Crisis (1946)
  • Eva (Dir: Gustaf Molander | Scr. Ingmar Bergman, 1948)
  • Music in Darkness (1948)
  • Port of Call (1948)
  • Prison (1949)
  • Three Strange Loves (1949)
  • To Joy (1950)

Special features:
  • 5-disc Blu-ray set featuring 2K restorations of all 8 films
  • Perfect bound book featuring new essays by Jan Holmberg (CEO of the Ingmar Bergman Foundation), Philip Kemp, Geoff Andrew, Jessica Kiang, Alexandra Heller Nicholas, Kat Ellinger, and Laura Hubner
  • Ingmar Bergman: The Early Years (2021): a new video essay by writer, filmmaker and film journalist Leigh Singer
  • Ingmar Bergman Guardian Interview (1982, 62, audio only): Bergman pays tribute to Alf Sjöberg, the director of Torment, discussing his influence and impact on his own career
  • Newly commissioned artwork by Andrew Bannister

Other extras TBC

Rob4 11th May 2021 11:28 AM

A snippet from BarnDoor on Blurage is that Ben Stoddart of the BFI confirmed that a Short Sharp Shocks 2 was 'very likely'.