Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The BFI Blu-ray and DVD Release Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/9116-bfi-blu-ray-dvd-release-thread.html)

trouserpress 17th May 2012 08:23 AM

Oh, and if anyone's interested, I appeared on a movie podcast last week all about the Flipside release Her Private Hell. You can find The B Movie Cast on iTunes, or here. Let me know what you think!

trouserpress 21st May 2012 08:13 PM

The Digital Fix have already posted their next article on the making of Nightbirds. It's amazing just how much trouble they go to with these Flipside releases. I also find it hilarious that the stalwart BFI are teaming up with the sleazy Something Weird Video!

http://film.thedigitalfix.com/protec...s.jpg_19052012

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 21st May 2012 08:23 PM

I'm really looking forward to Nightbirds arriving: only a week to go!

trouserpress 28th May 2012 12:05 PM

The final part of Digital Fix's Anatomy of a Flilpside is up today, and it's a full review of Nightbirds and The Body Beneath. I've not had a chance to look at either of these yet, but I'm certainly looking forward to it. I shall probably end up watching The Body Beneath first.

http://film.thedigitalfix.com/protec...c.jpg_26052012

Slippery Jack 28th May 2012 01:59 PM

Wow I had no idea a horror film was included as an extra!. To be honest I knew very little about the package as a whole aside from Winding Refn's involvement. But read the review and yeah, ordered . . .

trouserpress 28th May 2012 02:26 PM

It is awesome that they've included a whole movie as a bonus feature. It's funny to think that it was only previously available from Something Weird Video, and now it's on blu ray from the BFI!

They did the same thing with Pete Walker's Man of Violence, which had The Big Switch aka Strip Poker as a bonus.

trouserpress 29th May 2012 08:16 AM

There's a couple of others: Permissive featured the Stanley Long film Bread as an extra, which is also about groupies, and Voice Over also featured a film called Repeater.

Hawkmonger 6th June 2012 07:46 PM

Is there any reason why the overall package certificate for NightBirds is an 18?
According to BBFC both NightBirds and The Body Beneath are 15's. It's peeving me something terrible as this look's cracking.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 6th June 2012 08:53 PM

I'm also looking forward to their release of Revolution!

I watched THE BLACK PANTHER the other night and for anyone who hasn't seen it,I thoroughly recommend it!

Fantastic that they're teaming up with SWV!

Mojo 6th June 2012 09:08 PM

Spot on Reaps. The Black Panther is excellent.

The short film Recluse ( included as an extra ) is well worth a watch too.

Hawkmonger 6th June 2012 09:12 PM

I Love it when distributers add related movies to there releases, BFI do it best (not uncommenly placing 3 extra films onto the disk/s) and luckely Arrow are taking quick suit. Shameless, Eureka, take note.

trouserpress 7th June 2012 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 248252)
Is there any reason why the overall package certificate for NightBirds is an 18?
According to BBFC both NightBirds and The Body Beneath are 15's. It's peeving me something terrible as this look's cracking.

It's weird. Both the films are rated 15 on the BBFC website, but the trailer for Nightbirds is rated 18. I don't understand why a trailer would be 18 if the film's only 15. next time I talk to someone at the BFI I'll ask.

trouserpress 7th June 2012 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 248271)
I'm also looking forward to their release of Revolution!

Revolution is an interesting film, but it's not exactly a classic. The director's cut actually removes scenes rather than putting extra stuff in, but he has added a voiceover which helps the narrative make more sense!

Hawkmonger 7th June 2012 11:04 AM

I just got this conserning the certificate.
Quote:

I'm afraid we don't know the answer to this - but I agree it's frustrating. I've sent your email to the DVD production side of our organisation, who deal with certification and I will let you know once they get back to me.
Im prity sure it's against the law to sell a product with a higher certificate than the content is attributed...........maybe not, but it should be!
Quote:

Originally Posted by Trouserpress
It's weird. Both the films are rated 15 on the BBFC website, but the trailer for Nightbirds is rated 18. I don't understand why a trailer would be 18 if the film's only 15. next time I talk to someone at the BFI I'll ask.

Thanks. That make's no sense what so ever. :coolblue:

Stephen@Cult Labs 7th June 2012 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trouserpress (Post 248347)

Perhaps it's because of something in the trailer shown out of context of the movie?

Paul@TheOverlook 7th June 2012 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 248365)
Perhaps it's because of something in the trailer shown out of context of the movie?

That's certainly happened in the past.

Daemonia 7th June 2012 11:42 AM

Vipco used to pull the trick of including 18 rated trailers on their discs so that even if the film is rated 15 (as in the case of Shock Waves, which was an A and then a 15, strangely) the cover would have to have an 18 rated certificate. Vipco seemed to believe that only 18 rated films sell. It's a dirty trick, but then nothing was beneath Mike Lee in his pursuit of fleecing horror fans. :lol:

Hawkmonger 7th June 2012 02:27 PM

Shameless do that same trick now of cause.
I believe trailers should be exempt from classification. Common sense would be obviese if your showing them before a film (If you go to see a nice Pixar film maybe it's not a good idea to show a trailer for, say, Terminater) and this would mean that if a distributer wishes to put them on a release then fine and it will have no effect on the over all certification of the release.
Either that or place trailers of the same certification (even if the film has a higher one) on the disk, meaning there is no increase in certification (eg. the Shameless Trailer for Cannibal Holocaust is 15, so if they had placed that on the BD of Four Flies on grey velvet it would have remaned a 15, but as there is a 18 certified trailer for The New York Ripper also on the disk the over all rating increases.
It's all very ilogical. :rolleyes:

Mojo 8th June 2012 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 248285)
I Love it when distributers add related movies to there releases, BFI do it best (not uncommenly placing 3 extra films onto the disk/s) and luckely Arrow are taking quick suit. Shameless, Eureka, take note.

The inclusion of the extra films is one of the many things I love about the BFI Flipside packages. This, plus the fact that they are not thrown in at random, but are carefully thought out to compliment or relate to the main feature, be it genre, actors, actresses and so on.

There is a chapter at the back of the excellent Ten Years Of Terror book from FAB Press, which details a lot of these short UK films from the 70s, many of which have a thriller / murder / ghost or horror theme. One of them ( The Last Chapter ) has already been included on the BFI's BD of Private Road, so maybe more of these could see the light of day?

Hawkmonger 8th June 2012 03:26 PM

I wish someone would release Blood and Black Lace on BD with The Girl Who Knew to Much as an extra. One for Shameless? :rockon:

sawyer6 8th June 2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 248790)
I wish someone would release Blood and Black Lace on BD with The Girl Who Knew to Much as an extra. One for Shameless? :rockon:

There's hope :pray:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th June 2012 05:50 PM

Picked up Nightbirds,Requiem for a Village (Again!) Her Private Hell and Herostratus today-nice BODY BENEATH artwork inside the front cover of the booklet-I'm thinking of canibalizing it!:happy:

TBP also has superb artwork on the booklet (see my avatar).
If only the BFI would do reverse covers-they'd be the perfect package!

Gojirosan 8th June 2012 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trouserpress (Post 245600)
They did the same thing with Pete Walker's Man of Violence, which had The Big Switch aka Strip Poker as a bonus.

What the...why had I not heard this!

Splendid!

trouserpress 9th June 2012 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 248868)
What the...why had I not heard this!

Splendid!

I have to admit I've watched The Big Switch but haven't watched the main feature yet! It's also available in the uncut export edition or the UK cut. The export has a lot of full frontal nudity.

trouserpress 9th June 2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stephen@Cult Labs (Post 248365)

Apparently it is just this reason. It was mentioned on the Digital Fix 'Anatomy of a Flipside' article, which I'd forgotten.

James Morton 9th June 2012 02:23 PM

There is not one BFI Flipside release that I would buy
saw the film with Jane Asher (set in swimming pool) on tv and it was a boring Brit arty film
Nothing of interest

trouserpress 9th June 2012 03:23 PM

Wow! That's a bit harsh! I would have thought the Flipside had something in there for every fan of weird movies. And I couldn't disagree more about Deep End. I am in love with Jane Asher in that movie. I think it's fantastic.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 9th June 2012 03:29 PM

Yes, Deep End is a fantastic film.

There are so many gems to uncover when you explore the flipside range. :nod:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 14th June 2012 08:51 PM

And Jane Asher is one of them....;)

Hawkmonger 14th June 2012 08:54 PM

I wonder what BFI have lined up next.
Although all the movies so far are exelent, I hope we get some more Horror in the future. The Body Beneath has really wetted my appetite for some British sleazy exploitation.:popcorn:

Gojirosan 14th June 2012 08:55 PM

Deep End is a magnificent film. Just breathtakingly good.

But I can imagine how some folk wouldn't be happy with it.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th June 2012 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 250318)
I wonder what BFI have lined up next.
Although all the movies so far are exelent, I hope we get some more Horror in the future. The Body Beneath has really wetted my appetite for some British sleazy exploitation.:popcorn:

Check out my new thread - I'm hoping to update it regularly. :)

Slippery Jack 14th June 2012 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojirosan (Post 250319)
Deep End is a magnificent film. Just breathtakingly good.

But I can imagine how some folk wouldn't be happy with it.

Absolutely. I can't think of another film that has so quickly leapt into my all time favourite films list. Exciting to think how many more of these hidden gems are yet to be uncovered and unleashed . . . !

SharonLynette 17th June 2012 05:03 PM

So far I've only got Joanna and Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush, the next few I'm hoping to get are Privilege, The Pleasure Girls, Permissive, & That Kind of Girl, when the price is right, well right for me. I saw Privilege for about £7.99 just before Christmas, really regret not getting it then.

Gojirosan 17th June 2012 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SharonLynette (Post 251142)
So far I've only got Joanna and Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush, the next few I'm hoping to get are Privilege, The Pleasure Girls, Permissive, & That Kind of Girl, when the price is right, well right for me. I saw Privilege for about £7.99 just before Christmas, really regret not getting it then.

You need Deep End. Everyone needs Deep End. It has the greatest song in the universe on the soundtrack. Get Deep End.

Baseball Fury 17th June 2012 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 248285)

I can think of at least 5 Eureka titles with full films as extras, Pigs and Battleships, Insect Woman, the two Mizoguchi blu's and Lost Weekend contains a 3 hour documentary on Billy Wilder.

Hawkmonger 17th June 2012 05:47 PM

I was unaware of this, Mr.Fury. I was considering getting Insect Woman at some point so that's a nice surprise.

Nemesis 17th June 2012 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawkmonger (Post 251164)
I was unaware of this, Mr.Fury. I was considering getting Insect Woman at some point so that's a nice surprise.

You should get Insect Woman on its own merits, as it's a damn good film; easily one of Imamura's best.

It's a shame though that MoC cannot release Intentions of Murder even on SD, especially when Criterion did; such a terrific film.

trouserpress 22nd June 2012 11:26 AM

Just watched The Black Panther last night. The blu ray quality is great, but man, the 1970s were grim. I was born during the time of Nielson's trial. I have a newspaper from the say before I was born that is all about him. I had no idea he was such an incompetent criminal. The film would be funny if it wasn't all true.

It's a really good film. I'm particularly impressed with the fact that for long portions it's like a silent film. Very well made. I also like that Michael Armstrong wrote it. He also wrote and starred in Eskimo Nell, the finest sex comedy ever made!

Susan Foreman 14th July 2012 04:18 PM

The BFI Blu-ray and DVD Release Thread

"The BFI have announced plans to make all twelve of the classic BBC films from A Ghost Story for Christmas available on DVD this year. The first two volumes, each containing a double bill of chilling tales, are released on 20 August 2012.

Volume 1 features Jonathan Miller’s Whistle and I’ll Come To You (1968) with Sir Michael Hordern, and is paired with the 2010 adaptation of the same tale starring John Hurt and directed by Andy de Emmony.

Extras include:

Jonathan Miller and Christopher Frayling discuss Whistle and I’ll Come to You (BBC, 2012, 3 mins)
MR James’ original story, ‘Oh Whistle and I’ll Come to You, My Lad’, read by Neil Brand (2001, 42 mins)
Introduction to Whistle and I’ll Come to You by horror writer Ramsey Campbell (2001, 16 mins)
Ramsey Campbell reads his own MR James inspired story ‘The Guide’ (2001, 27 mins)

Volume 2 features The Stalls of Barchester (1971), starring Robert Hardy - receiving its DVD premiere - and A Warning to the Curious (1972) with Peter Vaughan, both directed by Lawrence Gordon Clark.

Extras include:

Introduction to The Stalls of Barchester by Lawrence Gordon Clark (2012, 10 mins)
Introduction to A Warning to the Curious by Lawrence Gordon Clark (2012, 12 mins)
Ghost Stories for Christmas with Christopher Lee – ‘The Stalls of Barchester by MR James’ (Eleanor Yule, 2000, 30 mins): Christopher Lee recreates MR James’ famous soirees, at which the antiquary would read his tales of the supernatural to eager undergraduates.
Ghost Stories for Christmas with Christopher Lee – ‘A Warning to the Curious by MR James’ (Eleanor Yule, 2000, 30 mins): Christopher Lee plays MR James in this dramatic reconstruction of one of the author’s famous Christmas readings.

Each volume also includes an illustrated booklet.

As a Christmas treat during the 1970s, the BBC screened adaptations of the classic ghost stories of MR James, the Cambridge academic and author of some of the most spine-tingling tales in the English language. Most of the instalments, which were broadcast to terrified viewers in the dead of winter, were directed by Lawrence Gordon Clark, who has been interviewed for new introductions on these BFI releases.

The release of the first two Ghost Stories volumes is timed to mark the 150th anniversary of MR James’ birth on 1 August 1862.

With only three of the twelve tales previously released on DVD (by the BFI in 2002 and long since deleted), the films in this series have been high on many film and TV fans' 'most wanted' DVD lists.

Two more volumes, the first containing Lost Hearts, The Treasure of Abbot Thomas and The Ash Tree, and the second containing The Signalman (Andrew Davies’ adaptation of the Charles Dickens story) Stigma (written by Clive Exton) and The Ice House (written by John Bowen), will follow in September, while the fifth and final volume, containing the more recent instalments View from a Hill and Number 13, as well as a complete Ghost Stories for Christmas box set, will be released in October."

BBC Ghost Stories (BFI) in August | News | Film @ The Digital Fix