Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The BFI Blu-ray and DVD Release Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/9116-bfi-blu-ray-dvd-release-thread.html)

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 13th November 2015 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 468034)
Anyone got the Alain Robbe-Grillet box set? If so, do you recommend it?

It's been trying to lure me for a while.

Definitely - although I guess it will depend on whether you enjoy Robbe-Grillet's style. It was my number one favourite release of last year and was up against some heavy competition. I have the Blu-ray set and the films look and sound excellent.

sjconstable 14th November 2015 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 468035)
Film wise it's excellent. I only have the dvd version but even they look stunning.

The DVDs probably look better as unfortunately the Blu-rays are noisy and it's really distracting. David M tried to filter it out a bit but it's still there.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th November 2015 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjconstable (Post 468094)
The DVDs probably look better as unfortunately the Blu-rays are noisy and it's really distracting. David M tried to filter it out a bit but it's still there.

Really! That's interesting to know. :nod:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th November 2015 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjconstable (Post 468094)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 468097)
Really! That's interesting to know. :nod:

I didn't notice any noise on these myself although I guess it depends on your set-up.

sjconstable 15th November 2015 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 468109)
I didn't notice any noise on these myself although I guess it depends on your set-up.

Do you usually notice noise? It's not my setup, I'm just very sensitive to unnatural picture issues. I don't mind stuff like natural print damage, but digital problems, inaccurate colours, etc really bother me.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th November 2015 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjconstable (Post 468143)
Do you usually notice noise? It's not my setup, I'm just very sensitive to unnatural picture issues. I don't mind stuff like natural print damage, but digital problems, inaccurate colours, etc really bother me.

I noticed the noise in Arrow's first Tenebrae release straight away as it was very distracting, however aside from that I can't recall noticing any excessive (and by excessive I mean to the extent where it takes me out of the film due to being so distracting) noise in any other Blu release I've seen so far - I have quite a backlog of titles to get through though.

Michael Brooke 15th November 2015 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 468147)
I noticed the noise in Arrow's first Tenebrae release straight away as it was very distracting, however aside from that I can't recall noticing any excessive (and by excessive I mean to the extent where it takes me out of the film due to being so distracting) noise in any other Blu release I've seen so far - I have quite a backlog of titles to get through though.

I hadn't seen that when it came out and caught up with it when QCing their new version (so I had to do an A-B comparison) and was really startled by how horrendous it looked. And even more startled to come across online posts defending it on the grounds that it was "natural film grain" - on which planet?

Ironically, if the original version had been scheduled only a few months later, that master would have been rejected under the James White technical regime, just as the existing masters for Milano Calibro 9 and Nightmare City were turned down. (The other long-delayed release, The Honeymoon Killers, was in better shape, but when we heard that Criterion was doing a 4K original-neg restoration we decided that it would make sense to wait.)

Paul@TheOverlook 15th November 2015 02:31 PM

The second release of TENEBRAE looks very, very nice.

I've not seen CALIBRE 9 yet - is it significantly better than the Raro release? It's a favourite, seen it more times than I care to remember but haven't watched it in a couple of years - the point when I picked up the Raro BD.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th January 2016 02:50 PM

Can anyone recommend this forthcoming release?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 13th January 2016 08:51 PM

Whilst not technically BFI, I thought I'd stick this here. An article on the BFI site in relation to various critics/contributors to Sight and Sound magazine's favourite releases of 2015.

The best DVDs and Blu-rays of 2015 | Sight & Sound | BFI