Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The BFI Blu-ray and DVD Release Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/9116-bfi-blu-ray-dvd-release-thread.html)

Inspector Abberline 13th January 2016 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 474245)
Whilst not technically BFI, I thought I'd stick this here. An article on the BFI site in relation to various critics/contributors to Sight and Sound magazine's favourite releases of 2015.

The best DVDs and Blu-rays of 2015 | Sight & Sound | BFI

How up there own arse can you get,not a single one had Transformers: Age of Extinction listed.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th January 2016 09:09 PM

I have the Castle Sinister / Crow Hollow release Kim Newman mentions. If anyone enjoys old dark house films as i do then i too recommend it.

Not as good as The Night Has Eyes though.

Strangely Newman reviews the double header in the latest Empire but i've had it a couple of years now.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th January 2016 09:12 PM

One critic - Craig Williams gives a shout to Starry eyes.

Good on yer sir. :thumb:

Inspector Abberline 13th January 2016 09:14 PM

Ghoulies/Ghoulies II

I take it all back Michael Blyth has Ghoulies/Ghoulies II

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd February 2016 12:11 PM

Coming soon!

Quote:

The BFI will release two DVD box sets and a complete Blu-ray box set with extensive newly created special features:

Alan Clarke at the BBC, Volume 1: Dissent (1969-1977) - 6-DVD box set
Includes newly remastered presentations of all surviving Alan Clarke BBC TV productions up to 1977, as well as filmed introductions by writer David Leland, extracts from BBC discussion shows Tonight and Arena, new multi-part documentary Alan Clarke: Out of His Own Light, audio commentaries and a booklet containing new essays and full credits.
Release date: 23 May

Alan Clarke at the BBC, Volume 2: Disruption (1978-1989) - 6-DVD box set
Includes newly remastered presentations of all Alan Clarke BBC TV productions from 1978 to 1989, as well as filmed introductions by writer David Leland, extracts from BBC discussion show Open Air, new multi-part documentary Alan Clarke: Out of His Own Light, footage from Alan Clarke’s unbroadcast documentary Bukovsky (1977), two versions of The Firm, audio commentaries and a booklet containing new essays and full credits.
Release date: 20 June

Dissent & Disruption: The Complete Alan Clarke at the BBC - Limited Edition 13-Disc Blu-ray box set
Includes all surviving BBC TV productions directed by Alan Clarke, extensive extra features (as detailed above), a comprehensive book with new essays and full credits, and an exclusive bonus DVD containing the seven surviving Half Hour Story episodes directed by Clarke: Shelter (1967), The Gentleman Caller (1967, previously considered lost), George’s Room (1967, previously considered partially lost); Goodnight Albert (1968), Stella (1968), The Fifty Seventh Saturday (1968) and Thief (1968, previously considered lost).
Release date: 23 May

Also on 23 May, The Firm will be released in a stand-alone Blu-ray edition, presenting the newly-discovered Director’s Cut and the original broadcast version in High Definition for the very first time.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd February 2016 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 476472)
Coming soon!

Whenever you post a coming soon for the BFI i always hope it will be something the equivalent of Ghost Stories for Christmas.

I'm always disappointed. :lol:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd February 2016 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 476474)
Whenever you post a coming soon for the BFI i always hope it will be something the equivalent of Ghost Stories for Christmas.

I'm always disappointed. :lol:

For me this is a great announcement! Loads of back-catalogue Clarke, a personal highlight being his fantastic 'Play for Today' TV film Penda's Fen (a real 'Wyrd England' curio) that I never dreamed would get a release.

I too would love to see some more stuff in the vein of Ghost Stories for Christmas though too, plus some more Flipside titles.

Paul@TheOverlook 3rd February 2016 12:36 PM

LOVE Clarke - this is cause for celebration!

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd February 2016 12:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 476476)
For me this is a great announcement! Loads of back-catalogue Clarke, a personal highlight being his fantastic 'Play for Today' TV film Penda's Fen (a real 'Wyrd England' curio) that I never dreamed would get a release.

I too would love to see some more stuff in the vein of Ghost Stories for Christmas though too, plus some more Flipside titles.

Any idea which set Penda's Fen is on?

Also this BFI release has a 22 minute supernatural drama called Crossroads starring Christopher Lee.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd February 2016 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 476478)
Any idea which set Penda's Fen is on?

Penda's Fen was made in '74 so will be in the first set. It's on Youtube (in albeit rather poor quality) if you want to give it a shot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 476478)
Also this release has a 22 minute supernatural drama called Crossroads starring Christopher Lee.

I saw that the other day and meant to post it here! A definite pick-up for sure. :nod: