Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The BFI Blu-ray and DVD Release Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/9116-bfi-blu-ray-dvd-release-thread.html)

BAKA 6th September 2013 06:45 PM

It doesn't seem so bad to me, but then again I got the box set around £8 cheaper than the new one seems to be, I think. I kind of think something like Ghost Stories For Christmas was probably a tough sell to the business bods, but turned out to be so dramatically successful that it allowed them the flexibility to go back and see what else they could bring to us, that has long been unavailable. Perhaps I'm just a mug, but I don't think it's a cynical money grab on the BFI's part, they don't seem the type. Several other labels, perhaps.

Then again, they are doing that bloody timed exclusive Zavvi release, and it was something I'd never have expected from the BFI.

Bringer Of Funerals 6th September 2013 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 364062)
It doesn't seem so bad to me, but then again I got the box set around £8 cheaper than the new one seems to be, I think. I kind of think something like Ghost Stories For Christmas was probably a tough sell to the business bods, but turned out to be so dramatically successful that it allowed them the flexibility to go back and see what else they could bring to us, that has long been unavailable. Perhaps I'm just a mug, but I don't think it's a cynical money grab on the BFI's part, they don't seem the type. Several other labels, perhaps.

Then again, they are doing that bloody timed exclusive Zavvi release, and it was something I'd never have expected from the BFI.

Whats on the extra disc?

Susan Foreman 7th September 2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals (Post 364073)
Whats on the extra disc?

DISC ONE

Whistle and I'll Come to You (1968, 42 mins); Whistle and I'll Come to You (2010, 52 mins)
Jonathan Miller and Christopher Frayling discuss the 1968 version (2012, 3 mins)
Introduction to the 1968 version by horror writer Ramsey Campbell (2001, 16 mins)
MR James original story read by Neil Brand (2001, 42 mins)
Ramsey Campbell reads his own M R James inspired story The Guide (2001, 27 mins)

DISC TWO

The Stalls of Barchester (1971, 45 mins); A Warning to the Curious (1972, 50 mins)
Filmed introductions by director Lawrence Gordon Clark (2012, 10 + 12 mins)
Ghost Stories for Christmas with Christopher Lee The Stalls of Barchester by M R James and A Warning to the Curious by MR James (2000, Eleanor Yule, 2 x 30 mins)

DISC THREE

Lost Hearts (1973, 35 mins); The Treasure of Abbot Thomas (1974, 37 mins); The Ash Tree (1975, 32 mins)
Filmed introduction by Lawrence Gordon Clark (2012, 11 mins + 11 mins + 8 mins)

DISC FOUR

The Signalman (1976, 39 mins); Stigma (1977, 32 mins); The Ice House (1978, 34 mins)
Filmed introductions by Lawrence Gordon Clark (2012, 11 mins + 9 mins)

DISC FIVE

A View from a Hill (2005, 39 mins); Number 13 (2006, 40 mins)
Ghost Stories for Christmas with Christopher Lee Number 13 by MR James (2000, Eleanor Yule, 30 mins)

DISC SIX

Classic Ghost Stories The Mezzotint , The Ash-Tree , Wailing Well , The Rose Garden and Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad (1986, 5 x 14 mins)
Spine Chillers 'The Mezzotint' , 'A School Story' and 'The Diary of Mr Poynter' (1980, 3 x 11 mins)

trouserpress 8th September 2013 10:39 AM

I've been sent a review copy of the latest release, Sleepwalker, an apparently extremely rare 1980s satirical horror in the vein of The Old Dark House. I've watched some of it, and the best way to describe it is Andy Milligan meets Norman J. Warren.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 8th September 2013 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trouserpress (Post 364339)
I've been sent a review copy of the latest release, Sleepwalker, an apparently extremely rare 1980s satirical horror in the vein of The Old Dark House. I've watched some of it, and the best way to describe it is Andy Milligan meets Norman J. Warren.

I have it on pre-order and am really looking forward to it arriving.

Make Them Die Slowly 8th September 2013 11:13 AM

Quote:

Sold.

Hawkmonger 8th September 2013 12:37 PM

Quote:

Never seen it before but I'm a serious sucker for Flipside horror.

Mojo 8th September 2013 06:23 PM

Day one purchase for me.

Mojo 12th September 2013 02:07 PM

Mondo Digital review:

Sleepwalker

:cool:

Rondadoronron 13th September 2013 08:35 PM

Childrens Film Foundation Collection: Scary Stories

Childrens Film Foundation Collection: Scary Stories

This look very interesting

CFF: Scary Stories

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-T...L._SL1500_.jpg

CHILDREN'S FILM FOUNDATION COLLECTION: SCARY STORIES (DVD)

The Man From Nowhere | Haunters of the Deep | Out of the Darkness

For over 30 years the Children's Film Foundation produced quality entertainment for young audiences, employing the cream of British filmmaking talent. Newly transferred from the best available elements held in the BFI National Archive, these much-loved and fondly remembered films finally return to the screen after many years out of distribution in this specially curated DVD release from the BFI.

The first time on DVD for these three scary stories from the archives of the Children's Film Foundation featuring tales of ghosts, mysteries and spooky mansions

The Man from Nowhere (1976) is a beautifully told Victorian gothic thriller from acclaimed director James Hill. Young orphan Alice has been invited by her rich uncle to live in his country mansion but she soon finds herself persecuted by the apparent visitations of an unsettling stranger. Who is this 'man from nowhere' and just why is he tying to scare her away?

The events in Haunters of the Deep (1984), take place along the dramatic Cornish coastline. Intent on re-opening a disused tin mine, an American businessman ignores warnings about the site s grisly past. It's left to his bored daughter and local lad, Josh, to attempt a daring rescue when history threatens to repeat itself.

In John Krish's Out of the Darkness (1985), a Derbyshire village is haunted by a tragic secret from the era of the Black Death. When the Neils decide to buy a run-down cottage they are unaware that it was once inhabited by a plague-stricken family. Soon, the Neil siblings find themselves in the middle of a thrilling adventure, assisted by their friend, Tom, and a local folklore expert (played by Michael Carter - The Keep, Return of the Jedi).

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th September 2013 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 363758)

There will be a seven disc set released next Christmas too ;)

Bringer Of Funerals 14th September 2013 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 365735)
There will be a seven disc set released next Christmas too ;)

I can see that happening

Michael Brooke 14th September 2013 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 363758)

Because the sixth disc didn't exist last time round!

They only originally intended to produce five discs based around the official Ghost Story for Christmas series, but when last year's box became one of their all-time best sellers, it clearly made sense to do a follow-up.

But since this sixth disc is available either separately (for those who already have the original box) or as part of a new six-disc box, I'm slightly baffled as to why you think this is a "rip off". How else could they have handled it?

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th September 2013 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Brooke (Post 365804)
Because the sixth disc didn't exist last time round!

They only originally intended to produce five discs based around the official Ghost Story for Christmas series, but when last year's box became one of their all-time best sellers, it clearly made sense to do a follow-up.

But since this sixth disc is available either separately (for those who already have the original box) or as part of a new six-disc box, I'm slightly baffled as to why you think this is a "rip off". How else could they have handled it?

I complained on here due to lack of knowledge. As someone else said it seemed like re-releasing an album with a couple of extra tracks to entice more people when the real fans had bought it previously.

I'd already pre-ordered the extra disc not realizing it was the extra disc if that makes any sense. :loco:

Where's the missing Ghost Stories for Christmas with Christopher Lee episode by the way? :)

Michael Brooke 14th September 2013 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 365807)
Where's the missing Ghost Stories for Christmas with Christopher Lee episode by the way? :)

There's a rights issue with that particular episode - I don't know the fine details, but the fact that it's not included in the Australian release either speaks volumes.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th September 2013 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Brooke (Post 365812)
There's a rights issue with that particular episode - I don't know the fine details, but the fact that it's not included in the Australian release either speaks volumes.

That's a shame.

I love that series, i still have the episode taped from tv.

Bringer Of Funerals 14th September 2013 05:53 PM

I'll get the 6 Disc edition of it - I'm glad I held off the 5

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th September 2013 06:09 PM

1 Attachment(s)
An Amazon seller has the new BFI book up at 1p brand new plus postage.

Thats £2.81 in total. Bargain for a book released only two weeks ago.

Naturally i had to order a copy.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Gothic-Dark-...pd_sim_d_h__17

BAKA 5th October 2013 01:01 PM

If anyone has a FOPP near them, they will be selling Classic Ghost Stories for £12, when it's released. They will also have the new expanded Ghost Stories For Christmas set for £35.

They're also doing Dead Of Night and Robin Redbreast from the BFI for £12 each.

These are all cheaper than I've seen them online. Sadly I don't have a FOPP near me. :( Hopefully I'll be in London some time after their release, as I was planning to miss a few of the BFI's DVD TV releases, as they're putting out too much genre stuff for me to keep up with, thanks to this Gothic season. These prices are more palatable than I've seen online. Hopefully in November they'll do the BFI release of Supernatural at a similar price, as it's going for over £16 at the moment on Amazon :(.

Delirium 7th October 2013 08:16 AM

Noticed that the BFI recently screened Ray Boulting's Twisted Nerve. Unfortunately I was away, or I would have gone.

Has there been any sniff of them releasing a BR of it? Had a google, but to no avail.

Paul@TheOverlook 7th October 2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Delirium (Post 370442)
Noticed that the BFI recently screened Ray Boulting's Twisted Nerve. Unfortunately I was away, or I would have gone.

Has there been any sniff of them releasing a BR of it? Had a google, but to no avail.

The Flipside imprint was and still is a selection of obscure Brit films screened at the BFI. While the DVD/Blu-ray imprint is in the same spirit it's never a given that films screened at the BFI in the Flipside category will follow through as part of the home video range.

Wes 7th October 2013 08:54 AM

Now that we're almost 30 films into the series, what films have impressed people the most. I thought Voice Over, The Black Panther and Little Malcolm and His Struggle Against the Eunuchs were incredible finds...

For anyone curious about this Listomania page is a good place to investigate the series...

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 7th October 2013 09:04 AM

A great series of films. Whilst I haven't seen them all, Deep End remains my favourite. Although, The Bed Sitting Room and Requiem for a Village are also personal favourite entries in the series. Nightbirds is also a great release, not only because of the title film, but because it also contains that nice bit of cheddar, 'The Body Beneath'.

I'm very much looking forward to checking out Sleepwalker, though. Plus, Schalcken the Painter, which is due out in November looks to be a great release and just my kind of thing.

Hawkmonger 7th October 2013 09:47 AM

Little Malcolm, Deep End, The Black Panther, Voice Over, and Her Private Hell have been my favourites thus far but it pretty much the most solid collection of titles available with not a single one that can be discarded for one reason or another.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th October 2013 05:24 PM

For anyone wanting a nice wee UK slasher at only 50-odd minutes,pick up SLEEPWALKER now.

I picked up a rake of these in Fopp in Edinburgh last week.
They've a promotion on and the majority of them are nine quid each!

Wes 7th October 2013 05:37 PM

So far the only films I've not considered picking up are the Mondo films that kicked off the series... London in the Raw and Primitive London which are not my thing... Among other things, this series is an incredible social history of Britain and for that alone these films are worth their weight in gold...

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 7th October 2013 06:25 PM

Yeah,I ain't picked those up either....likewise with The Adventures of Prince Achmed and Chronicle of a Summer.

bdc 7th October 2013 06:29 PM

I personally thought both the London mondo films were great fun. ;)

Mojo 7th October 2013 07:25 PM

Private Road is one of my all time favourites. Little Malcolm is an absolute gem.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 24th October 2013 09:36 PM

3 Attachment(s)
HMV had better have these next week.:pray:

trebor8273 24th October 2013 09:39 PM

Well just ordered my expanded ghost stories for Christmas from zavvi today, so should have it Monday, a blind buy but people have said its worth getting and not been disappointed yet with a recommendation from here

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th October 2013 09:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 373623)
Well just ordered my expanded ghost stories for Christmas from zavvi today, so should have it Monday,

That's optimistic. Has it been shipped already Trebor?

trebor8273 24th October 2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 373626)
That's optimistic. Has it been shipped already Trebor?

No but of late zavvi have been pretty good, stuff taking two to three days to turn up. Last couple of preorders which got dispatched on Thursday turned up Saturday, so if this dispatches tomorrow should turn up Monday

Demdike@Cult Labs 24th October 2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trebor8273 (Post 373630)
No but of late zavvi have been pretty good, stuff taking two to three days to turn up. Last couple of preorders which got dispatched on Thursday turned up Saturday, so if this dispatches tomorrow should turn up Monday

Nice one.

iluvdvds@Cult Labs 25th December 2013 08:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Got this one for Christmas today! I admit I don't really know too much about this series of shorts but from what I've been reading they sound great - very atmospheric!

Just stuck on A Warning For The Curious - it was filmed not too far away from where I live. Ooh, spooky! What's everyone's favorite of these?

mark meakin 26th December 2013 09:26 AM

THE STALLS OF BARCHESTER & A WARNING TO THE CURIOUS are probably my favourites.I have last night's screening of TRACTATE MIDDOTH to watch.

BAKA 26th December 2013 11:27 AM

Quite enjoyed The Tractate Middoth last night. Gatiss seemed to do a very good job of evoking a similar style to Lawrence Gordon Clark.

I wonder if there'll be another updated package at the end of next year. :laugh:

Demdike@Cult Labs 26th December 2013 01:54 PM

Personally my favourite episodes are Ghost Stories for Christmas with Christopher Lee.

The opening titles are wonderful with a splendid set up narration about Kings College and Christmas Eve rituals. It makes you want to pour a sherry and join them sat around the fireside.

Best episode - A Warning To The Curious, which features some seriously creepy shots of dark, disturbing coastline, powered along by Lee's masterful storytelling.

I absolutely adore those. I still have them on recorded vhs from 2000.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 27th December 2013 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BAKA (Post 384600)
Quite enjoyed The Tractate Middoth last night. Gatiss seemed to do a very good job of evoking a similar style to Lawrence Gordon Clark.

I wonder if there'll be another updated package at the end of next year. :laugh:

Shit-I forgot about this!:doh:

Don't suppose it's being repeated?
Don't fancy watching it on my pc screen.:(

Funnily enough.
Christmas eve,I watched The Signalman,Stalls of Barchester and Stigma.
Can't whack those old ghost stories.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th January 2014 07:31 PM

I watched The Tractate Middoth last night.

As Baka says its very much in the style of Lawrence Gordon Clark's films, although probably a bit more polished.

One or two parts of it were genuinely spooky and the ghost looked fantastic.

At only 35 minutes in length i can't see it getting a stand alone dvd release so i presume the BFI will add it to another re-release of Ghost Stories for 2014.

With a bit of luck maybe the BBC could make it an extra in a re-release of Crooked House instead.