Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The BFI Blu-ray and DVD Release Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/9116-bfi-blu-ray-dvd-release-thread.html)

Maxsimmus 10th January 2014 07:43 PM

Just bought the box set myself , some great episodes, a couple of hit and miss affairs but overall very good.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 20th February 2014 10:46 PM

2 Attachment(s)
April and July respectively!
****ING FANTASTIC!:woot::woot::woot::woot:

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd February 2014 05:59 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Picked up their rather hefty release of Phantom of the Opera and Gaslight yesterday.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 22nd February 2014 06:02 AM

CAN'T wait to get my hands on that Eyes Without A Face release!

Handyman Joe 22nd February 2014 12:57 PM

I can categorically state that the Flipside release of That Sinking Feeling is the highlight of the movie year for me. To wait 20 odd years to revisit a film you loved and then have it available in this deluxe fashion, well, it's a dream.

While I'm on this thread - watched a bit of the B S Johnson Flipside. You're Human Like the Rest of Them and Fat Man on a Beach have a real power to them, especially the latter. He's an engaging speaker, all too aware of the ultimate futility of life. The fact he killed himself weeks after finishing Fat Man adds to the weirdly haunting quality of that film. There's something profound about it - the last overhead shot of him wading into the sea, becoming a tiny white dot in the distance is one I won't forget. The other stuff on this release? At first look pretty ropy - Paradigm will test you, even at 9 minutes - but I'll give it the benefit of a second watch before forming any firm opinions. Worth picking up, even for non completists

Mojo 12th March 2014 07:42 AM

Interesting interview with the BFI's Sam Dunn here:

Behind the Label: BFI Video's Sam Dunn

Wonder what the long awaited BBC classics will be . Doomwatch? Out Of The Unknown? :pop2:

Vampix 12th March 2014 09:50 AM

I'd love to see the BFI release their restored version of The Vault of Horror on to DVD / Blu-ray. Why can't they release this? I'm sure it would sell by the bucketload to Brit horror fans all over the world, who want a decent, uncut version of the film in their collection.

Demdike@Cult Labs 25th July 2014 12:30 PM

I've re-named this thread to incorporate all BFI releases not just the Ghost Stories For Christmas dvd.

Bringer Of Funerals 25th July 2014 02:12 PM

Wouldn't mind getting the Samurai collection on blu

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st August 2014 12:30 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Upcoming titles for the rest of the year.

Mainly sci-fi. No horror. :( :lol:

Michael Brooke 1st August 2014 01:14 PM

Horror was last year's project - or rather the Gothic.

This year it's sci-fi. (And China, but there's not much crossover.)

Demdike@Cult Labs 1st August 2014 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Brooke (Post 412847)
Horror was last year's project - or rather the Gothic.

This year it's sci-fi. (And China, but there's not much crossover.)

The series are all unfamiliar to me. I'll be getting the Outer Space CFF release, as i rate the ones i already have very highly.

Which of the others would you recommend?

Mojo 1st August 2014 05:18 PM

For my part, I'll be getting OUT OF THE UNKNOWN, THE CHANGES and NINETEEN EIGHTY FOUR ( how can you resist anything with Peter Cushing in it, Dem? :) )

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th September 2014 10:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Does anyone know what extras are on this please?

Mojo 16th September 2014 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 417573)
Does anyone know what extras are on this please?

Just found this, Dem:

Directed by John Mackenzie (The Long Good Friday, Just Another Saturday), this acclaimed and long-unseen BBC TV Play for Today from 1978 is adapted by Alan Garner (The Owl Service) from his own complex and enthralling sci-fi fantasy novel. It will be released on DVD for the first time on 13 October 2014 as part of the BFI’s SCI-FI: DAYS OF FEAR AND WONDER, a 3-month nationwide celebration of Sci-Fi film and TV.

Red Shift takes the viewer on a beguiling voyage through English history, spanning three distinct time periods: Roman Britain, the English Civil War and 1970s modern day. Garner’s story follows three troubled young men, Tom, Thomas and Macey, who occupy these different eras and are haunted by shared visions. They are also linked by a common location (Mow Cop in south Cheshire) and by the discovery of a mystical talisman: an ancient axe-head.

Exploring themes of mysticism, folklore and geography that are common in Alan Garner’s fantasy novels, Red Shift is a uniquely compelling Play for Today from the golden age of BBC drama.

Alan Garner has contributed a new essay to the accompanying booklet.

Special features

• Brand new High Definition transfer
• One Pair of Eyes: Alan Garner – All Systems Go (Lawrence Moore, 1972, 40 mins): an experimental, autobiographical documentary presented by Alan Garner
• Interview with 1st Assistant Director Bob Jacobs and Film Editor Oliver White (2013, 5 mins)
• Spirit of Cheshire (Kevin Marsland, 1980, 20 mins): Michael Hordern voices a Rolls-Royce Silver Ghost on a journey to several Cheshire landmarks and tourist attractions
• Illustrated booklet with extensive credits and newly commissioned essays from David Rolinson, Alan Garner, Michael Brooke, Paul Vanezis and Sergio Angelini

Product details
RRP: £19.99 / cat. no. BFIV2007 / Cert 12
UK / 1978 / colour / English language, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles / 84 mins /
Original aspect ratio 1.33:1 / DVD9 / Dolby Digital 1.0 mono audio (192 kbps)

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th September 2014 02:49 PM

Much appreciated Mojo. :thumb:

At only 75 mins i'm not sure it warrants shelling out 14 squid for.

Mojo 16th September 2014 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 417809)

No probs!
I'm in two minds whether to get this one too. Maybe wait til it comes down in price.
Mind you, I'd love to see a PLAY FOR TODAY boxset.

Demdike@Cult Labs 16th September 2014 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 417814)
No probs!
I'm in two minds whether to get this one too. Maybe wait til it comes down in price.
Mind you, I'd love to see a PLAY FOR TODAY boxset.

One of the sci-fi sets is £55. :eek:

I've not seen any of the BFI's forthcoming sci-fi releases so i'm very unsure if i'll like them even.

Demoncrat 17th September 2014 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 417815)
One of the sci-fi sets is £55. :eek:

I've not seen any of the BFI's forthcoming sci-fi releases so i'm very unsure if i'll like them even.

Any CFF stuff is welcome personally The Boy From Space is, from memory a sombre wee film, The Glitterball just one of those things that would only come from 70s in the UK etc, 1984, which I thought was "lost"!! and TDTECF is the film surely? For a scifi flick set mainly in a newspaper office, tis mildly gripping....the rest I haven't seen...maybe The Changes.......

Mojo 17th September 2014 06:31 PM

I recently finished watching THE CHANGES. It's a thought provoking and sometimes quite adult show ( it was a kids series ). Really enjoyed it.
I'll definitely be getting NINETEEN EIGHTY FOUR and OUT OF THE UNKNOWN.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 19th September 2014 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 417809)

ANY Mackenzie film is worth 14 quid.;)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th October 2014 11:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
HOPEFULLY :pray: This will not be put back again come November.

Eyes Without A Face (trailer) - YouTube

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th October 2014 11:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Anyone picked up RED SHIFT yet?

I bloody miss the 'Play for today'.

Play for Today - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Play For Today intro - YouTube

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 8th November 2014 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 421714)
HOPEFULLY :pray: This will not be put back again come November.

Eyes Without A Face (trailer) - YouTube

MARCH 2015

WTF is going on BFI? :tsk:

Criterion have had it out for a year!

Demdike@Cult Labs 15th November 2014 11:20 PM

The six disc Ghost Stories For Christmas is £19.99 on Amazon at the moment. Ghost Stories for Christmas Expanded 6-Disc Collection Box Set DVD: Amazon.co.uk: Michael Hordern, John Hurt, Peter Vaughan, Robert Hardy, Christopher Lee, Robert Powell, Peter Bowles, Jonathan Miller, Lawrence Gordon Clark: DVD & Blu-ray

Seriously if you don't already own it, what are you waiting for?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 16th November 2014 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 425484)

They're probably trying to sell off all their stock to make way for the 7 disc set ;)

But seriously, that is a good deal - even more so now it's dropped to £19.91.

mr 420 16th November 2014 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 418007)
Any CFF stuff is welcome personally The Boy From Space is, from memory a sombre wee film, The Glitterball just one of those things that would only come from 70s in the UK etc, 1984, which I thought was "lost"!! and TDTECF is the film surely? For a scifi flick set mainly in a newspaper office, tis mildly gripping....the rest I haven't seen...maybe The Changes.......

The Boy From Space spooked me silly when I saw it as a nipper on Look and Read. My favourite Play For Today by a country mile has to be Just A Boy's Game, starring (The Great) Frankie Millar as a hard man in '70s Greenock. One of the finest pieces of drama ever to grace the small screen. If you haven't seen it, get it now! You will not be dissapointed.

Demoncrat 16th November 2014 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr 420 (Post 425541)
The Boy From Space spooked me silly when I saw it as a nipper on Look and Read. My favourite Play For Today by a country mile has to be Only A Boy's Game, starring (The Great) Frankie Millar as a hard man in '70s Greenock. One of the finest pieces of drama ever to grace the small screen. If you haven't seen it, get it now! You will not be dissapointed.

Cough Just A Boy's Game. ;)

'Hey, McCafferty!! Yir teas oot!!' ;)

mr 420 16th November 2014 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demoncrat (Post 425552)
Cough Just A Boy's Game. ;)

'Hey, McCafferty!! Yir teas oot!!' ;)

Come ahead, McQuillan. :frusty: :)

profondo rosso 16th November 2014 05:09 PM

Heh b_e, I like the look of this .......The six disc Ghost Stories For Christmas is £19.99 on Amazon.......( dvd's again!) I might just purchase this as it has Chris Lee in it!

Whilst I was looking at it on Amazon, it got me thinking, if anybody out there can help, what are sci fi and horror films like on Amazon prime? I have netflix but have been opting to take the trial on with Prime, any good people? or are most of the good films rentals once joined up? thanks in advance.

Linbro 17th November 2014 12:50 AM

Watched the short film 'Sleepwalker' yesterday, via the BFI Bluray - fantastic film, with some decent extras. The 1hr15min interview with Saxon Logan is fascinating, and well worth a watch.
Amazing that this has been 'lost' until recently.

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th February 2015 03:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This sounds interesting.

SHERLOCK HOLMES (4-DVD SET)

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes: The Classic BBC TV series.

Regarded by many to be the best incarnation of the Baker Street sleuth, Douglas Wilmer gives a career-defining performance in this celebrated BBC series. Intelligent, quick on his heels, and bearing a striking resemblance to the original Sidney Paget illustrations, Wilmer's portrayal as possibly the closest to Conan Doyle's original vision that there has ever been. In 2012, his status as legend within the Sherlock pantheon was cemented when he was asked to make a cameo appearance in Sherlock with Benedict Cumberbatch.

The first story in the series, The Speckled Band, was originally produced as part of the BBC drama strand Detectives. Appearing alongside Wilmer, as Holmes loyal companion Dr John Watson, was the great Nigel Stock. Such was the success of the adaptation that Wilmer and Stock were reunited a year later for a full 12-part series. With a supporting cast that included Clochemerle star Peter Madden as Inspector Lestrade, TV veteran Derek Francis as Mycroft Holmes, and guest starts such as Peter Wyngarde (Department S, The Innocents) and Patrick Troughton (Doctor Who), the popularity of the series gave rise to a second series, in which the role of Sherlock was played by Peter Cushing.

Presented for the first time on UK DVD, this long-awaited release also includes an array of fascinating special features, including two reconstructions of partially-surviving episodes, an alternative presentation of the Detectives pilot, an alternative title sequence, an interview with Douglas Wilmer and a number of newly-recorded audio commentaries

Special features
Original 1964 Detectives pilot episode The Speckled Band
All surviving episodes from the 1965 series
Alternative Spanish audio presentation of The Speckled Band
Alternative title sequence for The Illustrious Client
The Abbey Grange episode reconstruction, featuring a newly-filmed sequence of Douglas Wilmer reading the first half of the story, followed by all surviving original footage
The Bruce-Partington Plans episode reconstruction, using all surviving original footage and original shooting scripts
Douglas Wilmer...on Television (2012, Simon Harries, 22 mins): the iconic actor discusses his career in British film and television
Five audio commentaries, including contributions from Douglas Wilmer and celebrated directors Peter Cregeen and Peter Sasdy, all moderated by actor-comedian Toby Hadoke
Fully illustrated booklet with new essays and full episode credits
UK | 1964-65 | black and white | English language, with optional hard-of-hearing subtitles | 650 minutes approx | Original broadcast ratio 1.33:1 | 4 x DVD9 | PAL | Dolby Digital mono audio | Cert: 12 | Region 2 DVD

Available on March 30th.

mark meakin 12th February 2015 04:19 PM

The surviving Douglas Wilmer episodes have been out in the US a while now in a boxset,but this will be probably the definitive release.Glad I waited now.

Demdike@Cult Labs 12th February 2015 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 435591)
The surviving Douglas Wilmer episodes have been out in the US a while now in a boxset,but this will be probably the definitive release.Glad I waited now.

I've not seen any of them. I've just become a bit fixated with Holmes after watching the Brett and Rathbone box sets, so i'm quite looking forward to this.

mark meakin 13th February 2015 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 435593)
I've not seen any of them. I've just become a bit fixated with Holmes after watching the Brett and Rathbone box sets, so i'm quite looking forward to this.

I bought the Optimum boxset of the restored Rathbone movies years ago & I can't recommend it highly enough for anyone who has yet to buy it.I've just started on my BFI boxset of the surviving episodes of OUT OF THE UNKNOWN.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th February 2015 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mark meakin (Post 435748)
I bought the Optimum boxset of the restored Rathbone movies years ago & I can't recommend it highly enough for anyone who has yet to buy it.I've just started on my BFI boxset of the surviving episodes of OUT OF THE UNKNOWN.

Any good Mark?

That was another series i know nothing about.

mark meakin 13th February 2015 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 435762)
Any good Mark?

That was another series i know nothing about.

The one's I saw previously on YT were pretty good & it's aimed at a more adult audience than Dr. Who,though perhaps the pacing may not be to everyone's liking.Worth picking up for fans of cult British TV of the 60s/70s though,along with series like UNDERMIND,THE CORRIDOR PEOPLE or MYSTERY & IMAGINATION.I'm hoping the surviving episodes of DOOMWATCH will get a BFI release in the future.:pray:

Susan Foreman 27th April 2015 12:03 PM

BFI announces June - August DVD & Blu-ray releases | News | Film @ The Digital Fix

The BFI’s mid-summer 2015 Blu-ray and DVD releases feature the cream of British and international directors. Landmark works by such heavyweights as Orson Welles, Roberto Rossellini, Dziga Vertov and Jean-Luc Godard rub shoulders with a raft of great British titles directed by the likes of Tony Richardson, Clive Donner, Karel Reisz and Richard Massingham.

The Roberto Rossellini & Ingrid Bergman Collection (1950-1954)

This numbered, limited edition Blu-ray collection brings together three of Rossellini and Bergman’s greatest collaborations – Stromboli, Journey to Italy, and La Paura – in new digital restorations, with extensive extra features including Rossellini’s rare 1952 feature film The Machine That Kills Bad People, Francesco Patierno’s 2012 documentary The War of the Volcanoes, and Isabella Rossellini’s exquisite and personal My Dad is 100 Years Old (2005). Stromboli, Journey to Italy, and La Paura will all be released in stand-alone DVD editions.

Man with a Movie Camera (1929)

Voted No. 1 film in Sight & Sound’s 2015 Documentary Poll, this dazzling amalgam of documentary and pure cinematic art is famous for its range of pioneering cinematic techniques – such as double exposure, slow motion and freeze frames. Released on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK, this digitally remastered presentation is accompanied by composer Michael Nyman’s celebrated score, and includes a selection of little-seen Vertov films as extra features.

Around the World with Orson Welles (1955)

DVD and Blu-ray premiere of Orson Welles’ fascinating television production, with Welles writing, directing and hosting. Part home-movie, part cinematic essay, each episode takes the viewer on a journey to see the famous people and places in key cities across the continent, the result is a unique entry in the career of one of modern cinema’s most revered figures.

Magician: The Astonishing Life and Work of Orson Welles (2014)

2015 marks the centenary year of the remarkable Orson Welles, and this insightful documentary explores the life and work of the exceptional actor, writer and director. Directed by critically-acclaimed documentary maker Chuck Workman, Magician is an essential film not just for fans of the great Orson Welles, but anyone interested in the magic of cinema.

Vivre sa vie (1962)

A classic of French new wave cinema, director Jean-Luc Godard’s critically-acclaimed drama tells the story of Nana (Anna Karina), a young Parisian woman who works in a record shop but finds herself disillusioned by poverty and a rapidly failing marriage. Released on DVD and presented on Blu-ray for the first time in the UK.

On Yer Bike (1899-1983)

This wonderful 2-DVD collection, containing 29 short dramas, animations, adverts and newsreel items from the BFI National Archive, is a fascinating portrait of the British cycling experience.

How To Be Eccentric: The Richard Massingham Collection (1933-1951)

Instantly recognisable to anyone who went to the cinema in Britain during the 1940s, Richard Massingham combined humour and information in these wonderful instructional films on a range of subjects from how to cross the road to the art of saving water at bath time. This DVD collection celebrates Massingham as one of British cinema’s most interesting and enduring characters.

Britain on Film:

The BFI celebrates great British cinema this summer and the famous faces in front of and behind the camera, with the release of a number of feature films from the 1960s, 70s and 80s. Bizarre documentaries London in the Raw (1964) and Primitive London (1965) set out to reflect society’s decay through a sideshow spectacle on 1960s London depravity, while The Pleasure Girls (1965) and The Party’s Over (1965) look at the wild, and sometimes dark side of Swinging London. Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush (1967) and Bronco Bullfrog (1969) explore the late-60s teenage experience, albeit from different but equally entertaining, perspectives, while Lunch Hour (1962) and Deep End (1970) focus on romantic obsession and the potential for relationships to take a wrong turn. Two classic ‘kitchen sink’ dramas, Saturday Night and Sunday Morning (1960) and Loneliness of the Long Distance Runner (1962) see angry young men rebel against the system, while the hilarious That Sinking Feeling (1979) finds somewhat less angry young men causing a drama by stealing kitchen sinks.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 27th April 2015 12:51 PM

Interesting line-up, although it's a shame that there is (yet again) nothing new to be added to their Flipside range... it seems to have died a death sadly. :(

Demdike@Cult Labs 27th April 2015 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 446816)
Interesting line-up, although it's a shame that there is (yet again) nothing new to be added to their Flipside range... it seems to have died a death sadly. :(

Nor is there anything remotely ghostly. :(