Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The BFI Blu-ray and DVD Release Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/9116-bfi-blu-ray-dvd-release-thread.html)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 17th June 2015 08:53 PM

1 Attachment(s)
WTF is going on with this?

Will it ever be released?

Now changed from 22nd June to End of August according to Amazon.

:rolleyes:

SharonLynette 17th June 2015 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Reaper Man@Cult Labs (Post 453727)
WTF is going on with this?

Will it ever be released?

Now changed from 22nd June to End of August according to Amazon.

:rolleyes:

This is driving me crazy, I pre-ordered it at the beginning of last year. I just want to forget about it and for it to arrive. I'm not angry, just sad and disappointed.

I really hope there aren't serious problems :crying:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 17th June 2015 09:18 PM

They've apparently been trying to make it a really stacked release and have been chasing some Franju shorts to add to package in order to outdo Criterion's package.

Still, you've got to draw the line somewhere otherwise there will be little customer base left for you to sell to as people invariably get impatient and either import or forget about the release completely and spend their money elsewhere. I managed to lock in a fairly low pre-order price of £11 and change sometime last year so my pre-order for this one stays - even if we don't see a release until 2020!

Rik 17th June 2015 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 453730)
I managed to lock in a fairly low pre-order price of £11 and change sometime last year so my pre-order for this one stays - even if we don't see a release until 2020!

Mine too :nod:

I actually forgot I'd pre-ordered it until Reaps posted his mini rant :lol:

SharonLynette 17th June 2015 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 453730)
They've apparently been trying to make it a really stacked release and have been chasing some Franju shorts to add to package in order to outdo Criterion's package.

Still, you've got to draw the line somewhere otherwise there will be little customer base left for you to sell to as people invariably get impatient and either import or forget about the release completely and spend their money elsewhere. I managed to lock in a fairly low pre-order price of £11 and change sometime last year so my pre-order for this one stays - even if we don't see a release until 2020!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 453731)
Mine too :nod:

I actually forgot I'd pre-ordered it until Reaps posted his mini rant :lol:

Same here, well £11.84 I believe it was back in feb 2014.

Mojo 18th June 2015 06:37 AM

And on a similar note, what has happened to the BFI Flipside series?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 18th June 2015 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 453738)

I know... we haven't seen a release in years! :(

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 18th June 2015 06:44 AM

Found a little more info out in regards to Eyes Without a Face...

Current updated specs:

Quote:

EYES WITHOUT A FACE (Dual Format Edition – DVD + Blu-ray)
A film by Georges Franju

Pierre Brasseur (Les Enfants du Paradis) is Dr Génessier, a brilliant and obsessive plastic surgeon driven by the need to restore his daughter s disfigured face and push the boundaries of his field. Aided by his loyal assistant Alida Valli (Suspiria), who lures young women to his secluded chateau in pursuit of his dark quest. Eugen Schüfftan's (The Hustler) stunning cinematography lends the chateau an almost Cocteau-esque life of its own, and Edith Scob (Judex) is quite remarkable as the ravaged beauty.

Eyes Without a Face is at once cruel and tender, highlighting Georges Franju's unique blend of pulp, horror and poetry. In the decades since its release it has been a major influence on filmmakers as diverse as Jesús Franco, John Carpenter and, more recently, Pedro Almodóvar.

Special features

Remastered in High Definition
Feature-length audio commentary by film expert Tim Lucas (Video Watchdog)
Monsieur et Madame Curie (Georges Franju, 1953, 14 mins): a study of the life and work of the Curies, told through the words of Marie Curie
La Première nuit (Georges Franju, 1958, 20 mins): a young boy spends a night in the Métro
Les Fleurs maladives de Georges Franju (Pierre-Henri Gibert, 2009, 50 mins): an overview of Georges Franju's career
For Her Eyes Only - An interview with Edith Scob (L P Hugo, 2014, 17 mins)
Fully illustrated booklet featuring essays from Kate Ince, Isabel Stevens, Roberto Cueto Llera, Raymond Durgnat, Kevin Jackson and Michael Brooke; and full film credits

UK | 1960 | black & white | French language, with optional English subtitles | Original aspect ratio 1.66:1
Disc 1: BD50 | 1080p | 24fps
Disc 2: DVD9 | PAL
The current delay is believed to be due to the BFI trying to secure the rights to Le sang des bêtes in order to add it to the package... hopefully they will be successful and if not don't end up delaying yet again!

Michael Brooke 18th June 2015 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 453738)

Being revived later this year, apparently.

And if it's with the project that I know about, it will be with a pretty spectacular bang.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 18th June 2015 07:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Brooke (Post 453742)

And if it's with the project that I know about, it will be with a pretty spectacular bang.

That's great to hear!

Mojo 18th June 2015 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Brooke (Post 453742)

Thanks Michael - that's brilliant news. Easily one of my favourite series of blu rays, there are so many titles crying out to be given the Flipside treatment!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 31st July 2015 09:45 AM

Coming in September:

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...tL._SL500_.jpg http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...NL._SL500_.jpg

Both are limited edition Blu releases.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 31st July 2015 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 458317)

Following on from this... BFI Autumn Announcement.

Rik 31st July 2015 01:42 PM

Another BD of Nosferatu, it'll have to be something special for me to buy another copy, like if F.W Murnau's missing skull is included!

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 31st July 2015 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rik (Post 458338)
Another BD of Nosferatu, it'll have to be something special for me to buy another copy, like if F.W Murnau's missing skull is included!

The cover is really innapropraite too... it's almost as if they're trying to pass it off as a modern vampire film with all the blood splatter.

http://www.bfi.org.uk/sites/bfi.org....?itok=ll1XL9Ly

Rik 31st July 2015 02:52 PM

Yeah, doesn't exactly fit the film

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 4th August 2015 08:37 AM

Abel Ferrara's Pasolini coming in October:

http://dv1.us/p1/075/246075-d0.jpg

Paul@TheOverlook 4th August 2015 09:18 AM

Excellent! Can't wait to see it.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 4th August 2015 05:50 PM

Hopefully LES YEUX SANS VISAGE is going ahead this time.I've been waiting years for this.

It's available in their shop and Empire reviewed it this month.....:pray:

Michael Brooke 14th August 2015 01:00 PM

It's gone ahead - my copy arrived this morning.

Inspector Abberline 31st August 2015 02:25 PM

Children's Film Foundation Collection: Outer Space [DVD]

1 Attachment(s)
Children's Film Foundation Collection: Outer Space [DVD]

This is available thru Amazon third parties for between £5-£6 now.

Attachment 169465

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 31st August 2015 08:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I watched Franju's EYES WITHOUT A FACE yesterday on BFI Blu Ray.

For years I avoided watching it on Criterion Blu and when this was announced,I sold it.
It has been put back many times,well over a year,but at last it is here and the wait was more than worth it.

A fantastic job from the BFI.
Any serious horror collector needs to buy this NOW!

Zavvi was the only seller who had it in stock last week.....:confused:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=XawllNqZf4o

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 2nd November 2015 02:04 PM

BFI announcements for early 2016.

Justin101 2nd November 2015 02:50 PM

Band á Parte and loads of Ken Russell :D :clap:

Demoncrat 2nd November 2015 03:50 PM

The War Game!! :)

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd November 2015 06:05 PM

It would be nice if the BFI could release Russell's Whore.

A film i'm sure hasn't seen the light of day in the UK since it's vhs.

Mojo 3rd November 2015 06:25 PM

No Flipside releases? :(

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd November 2015 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 467075)
No Flipside releases? :(

Yeah, I was a bit disappointed by that too.

Deadite 13th November 2015 05:02 PM

Anyone got the Alain Robbe-Grillet box set? If so, do you recommend it?

It's been trying to lure me for a while.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th November 2015 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 468034)

Film wise it's excellent. I only have the dvd version but even they look stunning.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 13th November 2015 08:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deadite (Post 468034)

Definitely - although I guess it will depend on whether you enjoy Robbe-Grillet's style. It was my number one favourite release of last year and was up against some heavy competition. I have the Blu-ray set and the films look and sound excellent.

sjconstable 14th November 2015 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 468035)
Film wise it's excellent. I only have the dvd version but even they look stunning.

The DVDs probably look better as unfortunately the Blu-rays are noisy and it's really distracting. David M tried to filter it out a bit but it's still there.

Demdike@Cult Labs 14th November 2015 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjconstable (Post 468094)
The DVDs probably look better as unfortunately the Blu-rays are noisy and it's really distracting. David M tried to filter it out a bit but it's still there.

Really! That's interesting to know. :nod:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 14th November 2015 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjconstable (Post 468094)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 468097)
Really! That's interesting to know. :nod:

I didn't notice any noise on these myself although I guess it depends on your set-up.

sjconstable 15th November 2015 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 468109)
I didn't notice any noise on these myself although I guess it depends on your set-up.

Do you usually notice noise? It's not my setup, I'm just very sensitive to unnatural picture issues. I don't mind stuff like natural print damage, but digital problems, inaccurate colours, etc really bother me.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 15th November 2015 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjconstable (Post 468143)
Do you usually notice noise? It's not my setup, I'm just very sensitive to unnatural picture issues. I don't mind stuff like natural print damage, but digital problems, inaccurate colours, etc really bother me.

I noticed the noise in Arrow's first Tenebrae release straight away as it was very distracting, however aside from that I can't recall noticing any excessive (and by excessive I mean to the extent where it takes me out of the film due to being so distracting) noise in any other Blu release I've seen so far - I have quite a backlog of titles to get through though.

Michael Brooke 15th November 2015 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 468147)
I noticed the noise in Arrow's first Tenebrae release straight away as it was very distracting, however aside from that I can't recall noticing any excessive (and by excessive I mean to the extent where it takes me out of the film due to being so distracting) noise in any other Blu release I've seen so far - I have quite a backlog of titles to get through though.

I hadn't seen that when it came out and caught up with it when QCing their new version (so I had to do an A-B comparison) and was really startled by how horrendous it looked. And even more startled to come across online posts defending it on the grounds that it was "natural film grain" - on which planet?

Ironically, if the original version had been scheduled only a few months later, that master would have been rejected under the James White technical regime, just as the existing masters for Milano Calibro 9 and Nightmare City were turned down. (The other long-delayed release, The Honeymoon Killers, was in better shape, but when we heard that Criterion was doing a 4K original-neg restoration we decided that it would make sense to wait.)

Paul@TheOverlook 15th November 2015 02:31 PM

The second release of TENEBRAE looks very, very nice.

I've not seen CALIBRE 9 yet - is it significantly better than the Raro release? It's a favourite, seen it more times than I care to remember but haven't watched it in a couple of years - the point when I picked up the Raro BD.

Demdike@Cult Labs 9th January 2016 02:50 PM

Can anyone recommend this forthcoming release?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 13th January 2016 08:51 PM

Whilst not technically BFI, I thought I'd stick this here. An article on the BFI site in relation to various critics/contributors to Sight and Sound magazine's favourite releases of 2015.

The best DVDs and Blu-rays of 2015 | Sight & Sound | BFI