Cult Labs

Cult Labs (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/)
-   Other Labels (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=565)
-   -   The BFI Blu-ray and DVD Release Thread (https://www.cult-labs.com/forums/other-labels/9116-bfi-blu-ray-dvd-release-thread.html)

Inspector Abberline 13th January 2016 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 474245)
Whilst not technically BFI, I thought I'd stick this here. An article on the BFI site in relation to various critics/contributors to Sight and Sound magazine's favourite releases of 2015.

The best DVDs and Blu-rays of 2015 | Sight & Sound | BFI

How up there own arse can you get,not a single one had Transformers: Age of Extinction listed.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th January 2016 09:09 PM

I have the Castle Sinister / Crow Hollow release Kim Newman mentions. If anyone enjoys old dark house films as i do then i too recommend it.

Not as good as The Night Has Eyes though.

Strangely Newman reviews the double header in the latest Empire but i've had it a couple of years now.

Demdike@Cult Labs 13th January 2016 09:12 PM

One critic - Craig Williams gives a shout to Starry eyes.

Good on yer sir. :thumb:

Inspector Abberline 13th January 2016 09:14 PM

Ghoulies/Ghoulies II

I take it all back Michael Blyth has Ghoulies/Ghoulies II

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd February 2016 12:11 PM

Coming soon!

Quote:

The BFI will release two DVD box sets and a complete Blu-ray box set with extensive newly created special features:

Alan Clarke at the BBC, Volume 1: Dissent (1969-1977) - 6-DVD box set
Includes newly remastered presentations of all surviving Alan Clarke BBC TV productions up to 1977, as well as filmed introductions by writer David Leland, extracts from BBC discussion shows Tonight and Arena, new multi-part documentary Alan Clarke: Out of His Own Light, audio commentaries and a booklet containing new essays and full credits.
Release date: 23 May

Alan Clarke at the BBC, Volume 2: Disruption (1978-1989) - 6-DVD box set
Includes newly remastered presentations of all Alan Clarke BBC TV productions from 1978 to 1989, as well as filmed introductions by writer David Leland, extracts from BBC discussion show Open Air, new multi-part documentary Alan Clarke: Out of His Own Light, footage from Alan Clarke’s unbroadcast documentary Bukovsky (1977), two versions of The Firm, audio commentaries and a booklet containing new essays and full credits.
Release date: 20 June

Dissent & Disruption: The Complete Alan Clarke at the BBC - Limited Edition 13-Disc Blu-ray box set
Includes all surviving BBC TV productions directed by Alan Clarke, extensive extra features (as detailed above), a comprehensive book with new essays and full credits, and an exclusive bonus DVD containing the seven surviving Half Hour Story episodes directed by Clarke: Shelter (1967), The Gentleman Caller (1967, previously considered lost), George’s Room (1967, previously considered partially lost); Goodnight Albert (1968), Stella (1968), The Fifty Seventh Saturday (1968) and Thief (1968, previously considered lost).
Release date: 23 May

Also on 23 May, The Firm will be released in a stand-alone Blu-ray edition, presenting the newly-discovered Director’s Cut and the original broadcast version in High Definition for the very first time.

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd February 2016 12:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 476472)
Coming soon!

Whenever you post a coming soon for the BFI i always hope it will be something the equivalent of Ghost Stories for Christmas.

I'm always disappointed. :lol:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd February 2016 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 476474)
Whenever you post a coming soon for the BFI i always hope it will be something the equivalent of Ghost Stories for Christmas.

I'm always disappointed. :lol:

For me this is a great announcement! Loads of back-catalogue Clarke, a personal highlight being his fantastic 'Play for Today' TV film Penda's Fen (a real 'Wyrd England' curio) that I never dreamed would get a release.

I too would love to see some more stuff in the vein of Ghost Stories for Christmas though too, plus some more Flipside titles.

Paul@TheOverlook 3rd February 2016 12:36 PM

LOVE Clarke - this is cause for celebration!

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd February 2016 12:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 476476)
For me this is a great announcement! Loads of back-catalogue Clarke, a personal highlight being his fantastic 'Play for Today' TV film Penda's Fen (a real 'Wyrd England' curio) that I never dreamed would get a release.

I too would love to see some more stuff in the vein of Ghost Stories for Christmas though too, plus some more Flipside titles.

Any idea which set Penda's Fen is on?

Also this BFI release has a 22 minute supernatural drama called Crossroads starring Christopher Lee.

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 3rd February 2016 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 476478)
Any idea which set Penda's Fen is on?

Penda's Fen was made in '74 so will be in the first set. It's on Youtube (in albeit rather poor quality) if you want to give it a shot.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 476478)
Also this release has a 22 minute supernatural drama called Crossroads starring Christopher Lee.

I saw that the other day and meant to post it here! A definite pick-up for sure. :nod:

Demdike@Cult Labs 3rd February 2016 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 476479)
Penda's Fen was made in '74 so will be in the first set. It's on Youtube (in albeit rather poor quality) if you want to give it a shot.

I should have read the OP carefully. The fact they are all tv productions makes it more interesting to me than a set of films. Directors experimented a lot more via the medium of tv in the 70's than they do now. Maybe because there were so many series which allowed them to.

Demoncrat 3rd February 2016 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 476472)
Coming soon!

Oooh I've wet 'em :glitter::glitter::glitter:

nosferatu42 3rd February 2016 04:33 PM

Wow 'Beat Girl', now i'm excited.:woot:
Love that film.:pop2:

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 4th February 2016 12:45 PM

April-June releases.

Penda's Fen stand-alone release, the return of Flipside, Symptoms!!

Mojo 4th February 2016 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 476576)
April-June releases.

Brilliant news! :glitter:

Demdike@Cult Labs 4th February 2016 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 476576)
April-June releases.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mojo (Post 476577)
Brilliant news! :glitter:

Good news. I'll get that on people's recommendations. Beat Girl as well.

Frankie Teardrop 4th February 2016 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bizarre_eye@Cult Labs (Post 476476)

Brilliant news! I love nearly all of Clarke's output. Especially looking forward to stuff like "Stars Of The Roller State Disco", crazed apocalyptic unemployment satire set in one of those roller disco youth concentration camps they had back in eighties England . Wow, just seen it's on YouTube. Might go and watch.

Susan Foreman 4th February 2016 07:14 PM

Film @ The Digital Fix - Nosferatu - Eine Symphonie des Grauens

Film 9.0
Video 7.0
Audio 8.0
Extras 7.0

Paul@TheOverlook 4th February 2016 07:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Larraz's SYMPTOMS was announced today too!

nosferatu42 5th February 2016 12:14 PM

Watched symptoms on the tube once, obviously a bad copy but i remember it being interesting, Angela Pleasance is an interesting actress who made a big impact on me in the short story in 'from beyond the grave' with her dad.
would be interesting to see a decent copy of this.:)

nosferatu42 5th February 2016 12:16 PM

Wow i just used 'interesting' 3 times in two sentences.
interestingly enuff.;)
or not.

Demdike@Cult Labs 7th February 2016 01:33 PM

Has anyone seen or got this? Any good?

Thanks.

Susan Foreman 19th February 2016 08:14 PM

From Melon Farmers:

"Symptoms is a 1974 UK / Belgium horror by José Ramón Larraz (as Joseph Larraz).
Starring Angela Pleasence, Peter Vaughan and Lorna Heilbron

UK: Passed 15 uncut for strong violence for:

2016 BFI R2 DVD/RB Blu-ray Combo at UK Amazon released on 18th April 2016

There are no censorship issues with this release

Promotional Material

The official British Palme d'Or entry at the 1974 Cannes Film Festival, Symptoms is a sophisticated modern gothic horror film exploring the themes of sexual repression and psychosis.

Larraz's dark and stylish film tells of a young woman (Lorna Heilbron) who is invited by her girlfriend (Angela Pleasence) to stay at her remote English country mansion. Events take a disturbing turn when a menacing groundkeeper (Peter Vaughan) interrupts their time together, and a woman's body is found in the mansion's lake.

Other than a limited theatrical release and a late-night screening on British television in the early 80s, Larraz's film has slipped into obscurity, and the original negative was long thought lost, assuring it a place in the BFI's 'Most Wanted' list. Following the rediscovery of the original negatives in 2014, the dark delights of Symptoms can finally be experienced again in this new restoration, undertaken by the Belgian Cinematek.

Special features

Newly restored in 2k
On Vampyres and other Symptoms (Celia Novis, 2011, 74 mins): Feature-length documentary about director José Ramón Larraz focusing on two of his most acclaimed films, Vampyres and Symptoms
From Barcelona to Tunbridge Wells: The Films of José Larraz (Andrew Starke & Pete Tombs, 1999, 24 mins)
Interview with Angela Pleasence (2016): Interview with the film's star
Interview with Brian Lorna Heilbron (2016): Interview with the film's co-star
Interview with Brian Smedley-Aston (2016): Interview with the film's editor
Original theatrical trailer
Other extras TBC"

Demdike@Cult Labs 19th February 2016 10:03 PM

Is there anywhere where you haven't posted this ^? ;)

Susan Foreman 20th February 2016 05:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 478612)
Is there anywhere where you haven't posted this ^? ;)

It's a BFI release, so it went into the 'BFI Blu-Ray and DVD Release Thread'

It is also a duel release, so I thought it should be posted in both the 'upcoming Blu-Ray' and 'Upcoming DVD' threads

Mind you, I haven't seen the film, so is it a Giallo? Could it have gone in that thread as well?

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 20th February 2016 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Susan Foreman (Post 478621)
It is also a duel release, so I thought it should be posted in both the 'upcoming Blu-Ray' and 'Upcoming DVD' threads

You mean a :fencing: kind of release? ;)

Quote:

Mind you, I haven't seen the film, so is it a Giallo? Could it have gone in that thread as well?

It's not a giallo, no.

Demdike@Cult Labs 20th February 2016 09:30 AM

Quote:

It's a BFI release, so it went into the 'BFI Blu-Ray and DVD Release Thread'

There were so many duplicate posts i thought Bizarre_Eye had hacked your account. ;)

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 21st February 2016 08:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
MAY :woot: I need the buzz!

Remastered in HD for the first time
The Firm: Director's Cut (World premiere presentation)
The Firm: Original broadcast version
David Leland introduces The Firm (1991)
Elephant (1989, 38 mins): Clarke's final, unflinching drama, set in Northern Ireland
Elephant audio commentary with producer Danny Boyle
Alan Clarke: Out of His Own Light (2016): documentary on Clarke and his final works

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQIeJBt1Y3k

sqoops 22nd February 2016 09:00 PM

I read an interview the other day with Gary Oldman from about 15 years ago. In it he said the BBC cut a scene where Bexxi rapes his wife. I wonder what else is missing?

Crimson Blade 27th February 2016 02:19 PM

Will definitely be picking up Symptoms.
Have always wanted to see more of Angela Pleasence after her great performance in From Beyond The Grave.
And it's uncanny how much she looks like her late father.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 29th February 2016 07:52 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Likewise.
Nice to see BFI back with some cracking releases!

Michael Brooke 1st March 2016 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sqoops (Post 478980)
I read an interview the other day with Gary Oldman from about 15 years ago. In it he said the BBC cut a scene where Bexxi rapes his wife. I wonder what else is missing?

It's more complicated and ambiguous than that - it's a mock-rape that she clearly enjoys, the suggestion being that she has some rather dark fantasies about violence as well and that they're not quite as ill-matched a couple as they appear elsewhere.

I first heard about this scene courtesy of Richard Kelly's oral memoir of Alan Clarke, but I assumed it was gone for good until the BFI's announcement.

The Reaper Man@Cult Labs 1st March 2016 06:58 PM

Let's face it.
I'd rather face Bex in a square go than Sue!

Justin101 25th March 2016 11:40 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ0M1oFWhsg

Cliff used to be cool apparently, in all seriousness I quite fancy this one so that's the 3 new flipsides I'll be getting then :lol: :bananadrum:

Inspector Abberline 28th March 2016 09:02 PM

Culloden + The War Game

1 Attachment(s)
Culloden + The War Game

is out and kicking

Attachment 177177

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th March 2016 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 482938)
Culloden + The War Game

is out and kicking

Attachment 177177

I can't wait to see this. It's the disc i have preordered with Bridge of Spies from Amazon.

I would have pre ordered it from HMV but it wasn't on their site way back when i placed the order.

Demdike@Cult Labs 28th March 2016 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inspector Abberline (Post 482938)
Culloden + The War Game

is out and kicking

Attachment 177177

Have you seen either of these before, Inspector?

I think i'd heard of Culloden from the dim and distant past but not The War Game.

Inspector Abberline 29th March 2016 05:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demdike@Cult Labs (Post 482969)
Have you seen either of these before, Inspector?

I think i'd heard of Culloden from the dim and distant past but not The War Game.

Ive seen clips from the War Game,apparently caused a right stink at the time for the BBc.
wiki
The War Game is a 1965 television drama-documentary film depicting a nuclear war. Written, directed, and produced by Peter Watkins for the BBC's The Wednesday Play anthology series, it caused dismay within the BBC and in government, and was withdrawn before the provisional screening date of Thursday 7 October 1965.[1] The corporation said that "the effect of the film has been judged by the BBC to be too horrifying for the medium of broadcasting. It will, however, be shown to invited audiences..."[2]

Despite this decision, it was publicly screened and shown abroad, winning the Academy Award for Best Documentary Feature in 1966.[3]

The film was eventually broadcast on 31 July 1985 on the BBC, during the week before the fortieth anniversary of the Hiroshima bombing, the day before a repeat screening of Threads.

keirarts 29th March 2016 06:51 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Posted elsewhere but thought this would also be appropriate.. Yesterdays surprise post from Amazon...

Attachment 177194 Attachment 177195

Attachment 177196 Attachment 177197

bizarre_eye@Cult Labs 7th April 2016 07:06 AM

Artwork for Penda's Fen:

http://dv1.us/p1/900/257900-d0.jpg