Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels
All AlbumsBlogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Like Tree1201Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 14th June 2012, 08:55 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Deep End is a magnificent film. Just breathtakingly good.

But I can imagine how some folk wouldn't be happy with it.
Old 14th June 2012, 10:19 PM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkmonger View Post
I wonder what BFI have lined up next.
Although all the movies so far are exelent, I hope we get some more Horror in the future. The Body Beneath has really wetted my appetite for some British sleazy exploitation.
Check out my new thread - I'm hoping to update it regularly.
Hawkmonger likes this.
Old 14th June 2012, 11:14 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojirosan View Post
Deep End is a magnificent film. Just breathtakingly good.

But I can imagine how some folk wouldn't be happy with it.
Absolutely. I can't think of another film that has so quickly leapt into my all time favourite films list. Exciting to think how many more of these hidden gems are yet to be uncovered and unleashed . . . !
it'smebilly likes this.
Old 17th June 2012, 05:03 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

So far I've only got Joanna and Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush, the next few I'm hoping to get are Privilege, The Pleasure Girls, Permissive, & That Kind of Girl, when the price is right, well right for me. I saw Privilege for about £7.99 just before Christmas, really regret not getting it then.
Old 17th June 2012, 05:09 PM
Cult Acolyte
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by SharonLynette View Post
So far I've only got Joanna and Here We Go Round the Mulberry Bush, the next few I'm hoping to get are Privilege, The Pleasure Girls, Permissive, & That Kind of Girl, when the price is right, well right for me. I saw Privilege for about £7.99 just before Christmas, really regret not getting it then.
You need Deep End. Everyone needs Deep End. It has the greatest song in the universe on the soundtrack. Get Deep End.
Old 17th June 2012, 05:27 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

Quote:
I Love it when distributers add related movies to there releases, BFI do it best (not uncommenly placing 3 extra films onto the disk/s) and luckely Arrow are taking quick suit. Shameless, Eureka, take note.
I can think of at least 5 Eureka titles with full films as extras, Pigs and Battleships, Insect Woman, the two Mizoguchi blu's and Lost Weekend contains a 3 hour documentary on Billy Wilder.
Old 17th June 2012, 05:47 PM
Cult Addict

I was unaware of this, Mr.Fury. I was considering getting Insect Woman at some point so that's a nice surprise.
Nemesis likes this.

DVD and BD collection
Old 17th June 2012, 06:44 PM
Seasoned Cultist

Quote:
I was unaware of this, Mr.Fury. I was considering getting Insect Woman at some point so that's a nice surprise.
You should get Insect Woman on its own merits, as it's a damn good film; easily one of Imamura's best.

It's a shame though that MoC cannot release Intentions of Murder even on SD, especially when Criterion did; such a terrific film.
Old 22nd June 2012, 11:26 AM
Seasoned Cultist

Just watched The Black Panther last night. The blu ray quality is great, but man, the 1970s were grim. I was born during the time of Nielson's trial. I have a newspaper from the say before I was born that is all about him. I had no idea he was such an incompetent criminal. The film would be funny if it wasn't all true.

It's a really good film. I'm particularly impressed with the fact that for long portions it's like a silent film. Very well made. I also like that Michael Armstrong wrote it. He also wrote and starred in Eskimo Nell, the finest sex comedy ever made!
Old 14th July 2012, 04:18 PM
Cult Master

Default The BFI Blu-ray and DVD Release Thread

"The BFI have announced plans to make all twelve of the classic BBC films from A Ghost Story for Christmas available on DVD this year. The first two volumes, each containing a double bill of chilling tales, are released on 20 August 2012.

Volume 1 features Jonathan Miller’s Whistle and I’ll Come To You (1968) with Sir Michael Hordern, and is paired with the 2010 adaptation of the same tale starring John Hurt and directed by Andy de Emmony.

Extras include:

Jonathan Miller and Christopher Frayling discuss Whistle and I’ll Come to You (BBC, 2012, 3 mins)
MR James’ original story, ‘Oh Whistle and I’ll Come to You, My Lad’, read by Neil Brand (2001, 42 mins)
Introduction to Whistle and I’ll Come to You by horror writer Ramsey Campbell (2001, 16 mins)
Ramsey Campbell reads his own MR James inspired story ‘The Guide’ (2001, 27 mins)

Volume 2 features The Stalls of Barchester (1971), starring Robert Hardy - receiving its DVD premiere - and A Warning to the Curious (1972) with Peter Vaughan, both directed by Lawrence Gordon Clark.

Extras include:

Introduction to The Stalls of Barchester by Lawrence Gordon Clark (2012, 10 mins)
Introduction to A Warning to the Curious by Lawrence Gordon Clark (2012, 12 mins)
Ghost Stories for Christmas with Christopher Lee – ‘The Stalls of Barchester by MR James’ (Eleanor Yule, 2000, 30 mins): Christopher Lee recreates MR James’ famous soirees, at which the antiquary would read his tales of the supernatural to eager undergraduates.
Ghost Stories for Christmas with Christopher Lee – ‘A Warning to the Curious by MR James’ (Eleanor Yule, 2000, 30 mins): Christopher Lee plays MR James in this dramatic reconstruction of one of the author’s famous Christmas readings.

Each volume also includes an illustrated booklet.

As a Christmas treat during the 1970s, the BBC screened adaptations of the classic ghost stories of MR James, the Cambridge academic and author of some of the most spine-tingling tales in the English language. Most of the instalments, which were broadcast to terrified viewers in the dead of winter, were directed by Lawrence Gordon Clark, who has been interviewed for new introductions on these BFI releases.

The release of the first two Ghost Stories volumes is timed to mark the 150th anniversary of MR James’ birth on 1 August 1862.

With only three of the twelve tales previously released on DVD (by the BFI in 2002 and long since deleted), the films in this series have been high on many film and TV fans' 'most wanted' DVD lists.

Two more volumes, the first containing Lost Hearts, The Treasure of Abbot Thomas and The Ash Tree, and the second containing The Signalman (Andrew Davies’ adaptation of the Charles Dickens story) Stigma (written by Clive Exton) and The Ice House (written by John Bowen), will follow in September, while the fifth and final volume, containing the more recent instalments View from a Hill and Number 13, as well as a complete Ghost Stories for Christmas box set, will be released in October."

BBC Ghost Stories (BFI) in August | News | Film @ The Digital Fix

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty

Like this? Share it using the links below!