Cult Labs

Go Back   Cult Labs > Cult Labels > Other Labels

Like Tree1201Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 6th September 2013, 06:45 PM
Cultist on the Rampage

It doesn't seem so bad to me, but then again I got the box set around £8 cheaper than the new one seems to be, I think. I kind of think something like Ghost Stories For Christmas was probably a tough sell to the business bods, but turned out to be so dramatically successful that it allowed them the flexibility to go back and see what else they could bring to us, that has long been unavailable. Perhaps I'm just a mug, but I don't think it's a cynical money grab on the BFI's part, they don't seem the type. Several other labels, perhaps.

Then again, they are doing that bloody timed exclusive Zavvi release, and it was something I'd never have expected from the BFI.
Old 6th September 2013, 07:00 PM
Cult Acolyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAKA View Post
It doesn't seem so bad to me, but then again I got the box set around £8 cheaper than the new one seems to be, I think. I kind of think something like Ghost Stories For Christmas was probably a tough sell to the business bods, but turned out to be so dramatically successful that it allowed them the flexibility to go back and see what else they could bring to us, that has long been unavailable. Perhaps I'm just a mug, but I don't think it's a cynical money grab on the BFI's part, they don't seem the type. Several other labels, perhaps.

Then again, they are doing that bloody timed exclusive Zavvi release, and it was something I'd never have expected from the BFI.
Whats on the extra disc?
Old 7th September 2013, 12:23 AM
Cult Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bringer Of Funerals View Post
Whats on the extra disc?
DISC ONE

Whistle and I'll Come to You (1968, 42 mins); Whistle and I'll Come to You (2010, 52 mins)
Jonathan Miller and Christopher Frayling discuss the 1968 version (2012, 3 mins)
Introduction to the 1968 version by horror writer Ramsey Campbell (2001, 16 mins)
MR James original story read by Neil Brand (2001, 42 mins)
Ramsey Campbell reads his own M R James inspired story The Guide (2001, 27 mins)

DISC TWO

The Stalls of Barchester (1971, 45 mins); A Warning to the Curious (1972, 50 mins)
Filmed introductions by director Lawrence Gordon Clark (2012, 10 + 12 mins)
Ghost Stories for Christmas with Christopher Lee The Stalls of Barchester by M R James and A Warning to the Curious by MR James (2000, Eleanor Yule, 2 x 30 mins)

DISC THREE

Lost Hearts (1973, 35 mins); The Treasure of Abbot Thomas (1974, 37 mins); The Ash Tree (1975, 32 mins)
Filmed introduction by Lawrence Gordon Clark (2012, 11 mins + 11 mins + 8 mins)

DISC FOUR

The Signalman (1976, 39 mins); Stigma (1977, 32 mins); The Ice House (1978, 34 mins)
Filmed introductions by Lawrence Gordon Clark (2012, 11 mins + 9 mins)

DISC FIVE

A View from a Hill (2005, 39 mins); Number 13 (2006, 40 mins)
Ghost Stories for Christmas with Christopher Lee Number 13 by MR James (2000, Eleanor Yule, 30 mins)

DISC SIX

Classic Ghost Stories The Mezzotint , The Ash-Tree , Wailing Well , The Rose Garden and Oh, Whistle, and I'll Come to You, My Lad (1986, 5 x 14 mins)
Spine Chillers 'The Mezzotint' , 'A School Story' and 'The Diary of Mr Poynter' (1980, 3 x 11 mins)

Golly, Gee! it's wrong to be so guilty
Old 8th September 2013, 10:39 AM
Seasoned Cultist

I've been sent a review copy of the latest release, Sleepwalker, an apparently extremely rare 1980s satirical horror in the vein of The Old Dark House. I've watched some of it, and the best way to describe it is Andy Milligan meets Norman J. Warren.
Old 8th September 2013, 10:41 AM
Moderator Alumni
Cult Labs Radio Contributor
Good Trader

Quote:
Originally Posted by trouserpress View Post
I've been sent a review copy of the latest release, Sleepwalker, an apparently extremely rare 1980s satirical horror in the vein of The Old Dark House. I've watched some of it, and the best way to describe it is Andy Milligan meets Norman J. Warren.
I have it on pre-order and am really looking forward to it arriving.
Old 8th September 2013, 11:13 AM
Cult Addict
Cult Labs Radio Contributor

Quote:
Sold.
trouserpress and Hawkmonger like this.
Old 8th September 2013, 12:37 PM
Cult Addict

Quote:
Never seen it before but I'm a serious sucker for Flipside horror.

DVD and BD collection
Old 8th September 2013, 06:23 PM
Cult Acolyte

Day one purchase for me.
Old 12th September 2013, 02:07 PM
Cult Acolyte

Mondo Digital review:

Sleepwalker

bdc and Rondadoronron like this.
Old 13th September 2013, 08:35 PM
Cult Acolyte

Default Childrens Film Foundation Collection: Scary Stories

Childrens Film Foundation Collection: Scary Stories

This look very interesting

CFF: Scary Stories

CHILDREN'S FILM FOUNDATION COLLECTION: SCARY STORIES (DVD)

The Man From Nowhere | Haunters of the Deep | Out of the Darkness

For over 30 years the Children's Film Foundation produced quality entertainment for young audiences, employing the cream of British filmmaking talent. Newly transferred from the best available elements held in the BFI National Archive, these much-loved and fondly remembered films finally return to the screen after many years out of distribution in this specially curated DVD release from the BFI.

The first time on DVD for these three scary stories from the archives of the Children's Film Foundation featuring tales of ghosts, mysteries and spooky mansions

The Man from Nowhere (1976) is a beautifully told Victorian gothic thriller from acclaimed director James Hill. Young orphan Alice has been invited by her rich uncle to live in his country mansion but she soon finds herself persecuted by the apparent visitations of an unsettling stranger. Who is this 'man from nowhere' and just why is he tying to scare her away?

The events in Haunters of the Deep (1984), take place along the dramatic Cornish coastline. Intent on re-opening a disused tin mine, an American businessman ignores warnings about the site s grisly past. It's left to his bored daughter and local lad, Josh, to attempt a daring rescue when history threatens to repeat itself.

In John Krish's Out of the Darkness (1985), a Derbyshire village is haunted by a tragic secret from the era of the Black Death. When the Neils decide to buy a run-down cottage they are unaware that it was once inhabited by a plague-stricken family. Soon, the Neil siblings find themselves in the middle of a thrilling adventure, assisted by their friend, Tom, and a local folklore expert (played by Michael Carter - The Keep, Return of the Jedi).

Like this? Share it using the links below!